25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Running FSX with 2 CPU's

We all know how much FSX is CPU dependent , so I was wondering if you had a dual processor motherboard and installed 2 processors, say two I7 920's (8 cores total) , would FSX run like a dream , or would FSX not even utilize the other processor. Just an idea

25+ Posting Member

Re: Running FSX with 2 CPU's

Ok , after some research , Intel's I series cannot be run together , ie: they can't speak to each other. Evga has introduced a new board , SR-2 , which is built to accept two of the newer xenon processors. The new high end xenon CPU is about $1,500 a pop and has the same power as the I7 -980 Extreme. So, $1,500 x 2 , plus $500 for the Mobo. $3500 just to start building . I guess I'll be sticking to 1 CPU , lol .

Though the reviews from people running this configuration say it eats any application without even a hipcup !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Running FSX with 2 CPU's

The FSX simulation engine is, for all intents and purposes, single-threaded. Certain background tasks such as scenery pre-fetching runs in a separate thread, but that's about it. A multi-core machine does help with stutters during scenery prefetch, but adding more cores doesn't get you much benefit.

I've got a Core2Quad 6600 (2.4ghz if memory serves); When I really want to get nitpicky, I'll open Task Manager, set EVERYTHING to have affinity for core 0 only. I then start REX and Teamspeak, set their affinity to core 1 only. Only then do I start FSX and set its affinity to cores 2 and 3. I think I -might- see a frame rate benefit if I turned down the eyecandy to the point that framerate became processor bound, but for most cases, it's not really worth the effort.

Don't waste your money on an 8-core monstrosity. Get the fastest dual- or quad- core you can justify, and spend your savings on a better video card.