Thread: Aussie here

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Aussie here

Hi All,

Just joined as I am in the middle of planning out a 747 Simpit...

I've been flying MS simulators since 95, and decided to go up a notch to the PMDG versions last year (I now call default FSX planes "point and shoots" as you simply taxi to the runway, give it flap, give it power and it magically gets in the air, even though you've missed 50 steps of pre-flight checklists). I've now decided to go up another notch and actually build a simpit...

I guess my biggest strength here is I am a software engineer, which means coding solutions and interfaces does not phase me, infact I am halfway through designing an interface for the PMDG 747X software to work with various pieces of hardware.

I'm also not too bad with a soldering iron \ electrical things, and I'm ok with building things (I built the room I'm sitting in now over 2 years ago, and the roof hasn't yet falling in on me)

I've so far spent nearly 3 months working on the plans \ working on the software interface \ researching designs and available hardware \ prototyping ides for the electronics. I'm looking at starting the build proper mid next month.

25th April was the day I started drawing things up, which is why I had a little bit of a laugh seeing one post where the guy was going to knock up a sim over a weekend, and it was then suggested he makes some plans over the weekend instead.

In terms of space I have a 2.5m wide x 2m deep x 2m high area. Not enough for projectors, but TV's and monitors are cheap (enough) so I've worked out how to do things with 4 monitors (and looking at running WidevieW across them with 4 PC's to drive them)

In terms of computing power, I see the need for 8 computers
    System 1 - Main system - Powers glass cockpit (4 monitors, the pilots \ co-pilots PFD and HSI's will share the one screen), runs the simulator itself, does not display any outside views, interface for any slider based input (eg yoke, throttle, rudder, air brake, flaps)

System 2 - Main button interface machine, interface for all other switchs and lights
    System 3 - Pilots screen outside view (WidevieW), also accept flight plans etc to be passed onto the main system. This allows the Pilot's "window" to be used as a system configuration screen.
    System 4 - Co-pilots screen outside view (WidevieW)
    System 5 - Pilots Side window outside view (WidevieW)
    System 6 - Co-Pilots window outside view (WidevieW)
    System 7 - Pilots FMC
    System 8 - CoPilots FMC

So why do I see myself finishing this? Well this isn't a passing hobby... I've loved flight sims for the last 15 odd years, and this is the natural progression.

Why a 747? Well that answer is simple. I've loved the 747 since my first trip on one as a kid nearly 20 years ago. Even now when I fly for real (which is very frequently) I'll always chose a B747 option if one exists, this includes when there is an A380 option. (Yes I have been on the A380, it's nice but missing something as far as I'm concerned).

I look forwards to learning from the guys who have actually built them...

Catch everyone later...

Harvyk

MyCockpit Support Staff

Re: Aussie here

G'day mate and welcome to MyCockpit, where in Oz are you? I am assisting a local guy here in Perth with his 747 build, hope you consider Aerosim Solutions if you need custom parts!!!

Cheers, Gwyn
    www.aerosimsolutions.com.au

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Hey Gwyn,

I'm based in Canberra...
    I would prefer to source parts locally, (and by local I mean oz)... I did have a look atw some pre-built stuff, but I'm trying to build everything myself so it has a uniform look (be it a good one or a crappy one)

Does aerosimsolutions sell smaller parts like servo's and switches by themselves? So far I've been looking at a hobby robot builders company in BNE to source such parts, but of course there is only a limited amount of cross over between a cockpit and a hobby robot...

Thanks

Harvyk

Hi Harvyk welcome aboard
    Ive been a member here for a few years now & have learnt so much over that time being it cnc,ing / electronics / woodwork etc etc. its great to see more aussies gettin into cockpit building , where bouts in oz are you, im on the northern shores of sydney. Good luck with the 747 keep us posted
    Cheers
    Riche...

Gwyn ya beat me to him....
    Last edited by riche543; 07-18-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Gwyn got in first... :)

Welcome Harvyk.
    Good to have a few more aussies around here.
    Looking forward to seeing what you have in store.

Wes.
    Wes Hollett Perth Australia
    737 NG Builder Aerosim Solution Supporter Aerosoft Australia Tester

Boeing 777 Builder

Gday Harvyk welcome aboard. I'm sure you've also checked out Mat Sheil's 747 just a bit north of you in Sydney? He's the pre-eminent 747 builder on the planet I think. It looks like you've definitely done your homework so I'm sure it will come together very well. If you're a software engineer I wonder if you've considered writing your own panel software? The 747 is lacking a bit in competition on this front with Project Magenta being the only one currently until Aerowinx develop their updated version. A lot of work though I would imagine.

Great to hear another Aussie and another 747 builder here and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers,

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Hi Ken

I've certainly looked at Mat Sheil's 747 sim website (I'd love to get a look in at the thing for real)... Infact it was that sim which first gave me the idea...

To answer your question, I'm writing out an interface for the PMDG 747. I did look at Project Magenta, and whilst it looks excellent for B737's, it does seem to be "thrown" together for the 747's...

System 1 will have the PMDG software installed, as well as the custom interface software which will send instructions, such as light changing states, and switches being toggled to System 2 (which will then be attached to some PhidgetLED 64 cards and some custom software to interpret the instructions and then drive the cards).

Boeing 777 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by harvyk View Post
    Hi Ken

I've certainly looked at Mat Sheil's 747 sim website (I'd love to get a look in at the thing for real)... Infact it was that sim which first gave me the idea...

To answer your question, I'm writing out an interface for the PMDG 747. I did look at Project Magenta, and whilst it looks excellent for B737's, it does seem to be "thrown" together for the 747's...

System 1 will have the PMDG software installed, as well as the custom interface software which will send instructions, such as light changing states, and switches being toggled to System 2 (which will then be attached to some PhidgetLED 64 cards and some custom software to interpret the instructions and then drive the cards).
    That's part of the reason I went with the 777 after seeing how well Sim-Avionics was modelling this aircraft specifically. I didn't want to go down the road of the standard 737 even though its so well catered for, and the T7 has always been a fave.

Your interface software sounds very interesting indeed. I'm sure there are many others here that would be interested in this type of application for the PMDG as it could well be implimented on the 737 series as well. We all look forward to seeing it developed.

And don't forget we love pics here

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by harvyk View Post
    Hey Gwyn,

Does aerosimsolutions sell smaller parts like servo's and switches by themselves?

Harvyk
    Hi HarvyK, I'm pretty much mechanical solutions however I have managed some good discounts with buying bulk using my business account. I do have a few 45 degree rotary switches spare and I was going to order more of these soon, they are usually hard to come by at a reasonable price. I buy my potentiometers and switches for my TQs from RS Components - free postage when you order more than $100 worth, they are pretty quick to deliver too.

Cheers, Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!