75+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Software for DIY flight control loading (force feedback)

Hi,

This might be of interest to any hardy souls who are interested in experimenting/building their own force feedback flight controls.

I've tidied up and made available the software I developed for my own control loading projects/tests. The software side of things is important, but it is not in itself sufficient for a good system. However I thought that if some working software was available more builders might be able to have a shot at their own ideas.

The software works with FS9/X and can generate control loading force levels at 8 or 16 bit resolution at a max effective refresh rate of 500 Hz. To use the software output you will need to process the exported serial data so as to drive motor speed controllers. There is some hardware on the site that can do this but the data format is described in the documentation to allow builders to do their own hardware processing.

Here is the web page where you can get the software download, the page also shows some system details, notes and a quick start guide to using the software.

http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/Sim/CL_Software.php

The described system elements are important - and care is needed to get the flight controls position reporting clean and with good resolution.

I've had best force feedback results in my projects using DC disc armature (pancake) motors - but they are expensive beasts.

If anyone gives the software a go then let me know how you get on.

Ian

PS Treat the software as beta, and please let me know if you find a problem or something else I've missed...
    Last edited by IanH1960; 07-04-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: ..afterthought

2. Thanks Wendy thanked for this post
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Software for DIY flight control loading (force feedback)

Really a remarkable piece of work Ian. Great to see that you also implemented control loading on rudder pedals. According GA pilots, rudder pedals have considerable control loading effects during taxi, take-off and landing, and of course during flight.

As I'm rebuilding my cockpit setup, it may be a good opportunity to give your control loading system a go. I'll check out all details, and get back to you.

Thanks for sharing this!
    RR