Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile Motion visual system

Hi all

First post so hopefully my question will make sense.

In a high end (level D) system the image of the outside world is projected onto a screen in front of the pilots that is enclosed in a space separated from the outside world. As the pilot turns the control column the platform tilts in the direction the pilot chooses and the image on the screen stays earth horizontal...so far so good.

Now in the case of a fixed based cockpit when the control column is turned the pilot stays earth horizontal and FS9 / FSX tilts the image (via projector(s) to give the impression we are turning....so far so good..

So here is my question: If one buys a 2DOF / DOF platform and mounts a cockpit on top how do we get around the the problem of the image moving in the same direction as the platform i.e is there software / a projector out there that will keep the image "earth horizontal" whilst the platform tilts ?

The reason I ask the above is because I would imagine the projectors are in a "fixed" position atop the cockpit and projecting onto a screen gallery that is also "fixed" to the moving platform. I hope my question makes sense.

Any replies welcome!

thanks!

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Motion visual system

In a flight simulator the outside view is referenced to the pilot's viewpoint. If the pilot enters a 30 degree left bank, the horizon will appear to rotate 30 degrees to the right. If the turn is coordinated, the motion system will give a rotational nudge (called an onset cue) that indicates that the aircraft has begun to rotate into a bank. Because the turn is coordinated, the motion system will slowly return to the horizontal position. This is called washout. There will be another rotational nudge when the pilot stops the rotation at the desired bank angle. For as long as the simulator stays in the 30 degree bank, the visual will show an opposite 30 degree tilt, and the cabin, rather than the scenery, will be level with respect to the real world.

This is exactly what you see in recreational flight sim visuals. So, if you use a motion system and use motion algorithms that provide onset cues similar to the level D systems, there's no problem.

Hi Mike

So based on what you just told me, its all about obtaining good quality software ?

It is possible to have 3 projectors producing a 180 degree wrap around image projected onto a dome / gallery that is fixed to the simulator?

The only similar set up I have seen is Matthew Sheils 747 project but i was not sure if they were using high spec equipment that is out of reach to most of us.

Thanks

150+ Forum Groupie

That is also why a motion simulator should be fully enclosed so no references outside the cockpit are visual. This way your mind gets fooled ...
    The most important in motion cueing are the washouts, if hou have a platform with incorrect motion, instead of gaining, you will loose realism.
    It doesn't matter what type of visuals you are using, only the bigger and wider, the more you will have the feeling of being "in" the simulation.
    [

Hi

Thank you both for your input, I have a better understanding now !

Cheers

6. Thanks douwe thanked for this post