10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

737NG MIP choices, pros and cons

I haven't started building my 737NG yet but I plan on starting my project within the next few months. I have decided to start with the MIP. I have spent countless hours on the MyCockpit forums, youtube and vendor sites from all over the world and I have weighed the pros and cons of some major decisions that I would like to share for your reference and most importantly, your feedback.

After deciding on a 737NG, (for reasons I won't get into here), I had to think "how far do I want to take this?" I am committing to a "true to life" high detailed replica of a 737 flight deck.

What ever I work on, it must be usable after the task is complete. I'm starting with the MIP so do I buy one or build one from wood? Building using wood has the obvious advantage, cost. Disadvantage, keeping within specification, (measurements), and lots of work getting it to look just right.

I am strongly thinking about buying an aluminum MIP but there are many choices. I should mention that back lighting is very important to this project and Flight Deck Solutions seem to have a great back light system available for their products. Pro's with FDS for me are high quality products, they are in Canada as am I, (import costs) and great back lighting. The con is of course price. I have found great plans for building wooden MIPs but I think I want to go with a prefabricated MIP, most likely I will build the framework for the MIP from plywood.

So to summarize, I want a very realistic cockpit. Back lighting is important. I must be cautious of import and duty fees. FDS seems to be perfect for me, only downside, cost.

Looking forward to your input, comments and feedback.

Re: 737NG MIP choices, pros and cons

I have one comment. Stay away from the plywood and rather use MDF for the framework.

If I could afford it, I would have chosen FDS my self, but I ended up with buying a cockpitsonic DualseatTrainer.
    My first project was i single-seater 737 with homemade MIP from MDF, but I soon realized that it would never look as good as a fabricated one. Not with my patience anyway...
    I bought my overheadpanels from a rather unknowned wendor and they now also deliver MIP. Check out www.simworld.pl. Their products have very hight quality and sense to details and their service is second to none. I guess I would seriously consider buying their MIP if I was in buying modus now.

There is a guy in australia that also recently have started producing MIPs and they also look very nice. Check out: www.aerosimsolutions.com.au/panels.html

10+ Posting Member

Simworld looks promising. realistic quality, back litght capable and half the price of FDS. Aero Sim Solutions looks pricey and shipping half way across the world can be expensive. Quality wise I'm sure both are fine products, but Simworld seems to have a better price. I'll fire them an email and inquire about shipping costs.

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by cornleader View Post
    Simworld looks promising. realistic quality, back litght capable and half the price of FDS. Aero Sim Solutions looks pricey and shipping half way across the world can be expensive. Quality wise I'm sure both are fine products, but Simworld seems to have a better price. I'll fire them an email and inquire about shipping costs.
    i have to say 200 euro for a mip me thinks building one is much better and rewarding the prices they charge or ridiculous just for a panel but thats my oppinion the rewards for building yourself

hehe... get used to it. This is NOT a cheap hobby.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by nax228 View Post
    hehe... get used to it. This is NOT a cheap hobby.
    You can say that again!

25+ Posting Member bussgarfield's Avatar

I have gone along the road of building my own. Each person will have their preferences as to what materials they wish to use and to whether to actually buy a pre-fabricated cockpit. Not everyone has the nessessary skills or tools to construct a complete home build and therefore the pre-fabricated route is the only way to go.

I on the other hand do have some woodworking skills and most of the tools. I could not justify, to my good lady, the extra exspence of buying a preformed MIP or pedestal and having retired to Spain, the pennies need to be carefully watched.

My aim was to try and make my pit a 1:1 scale replica of a 737 - 800.

For the MIP and it's carcass I used 16mm MDF. This may seem a bit thick but it allowed me to machine the recesses for the screens into the rear and also allowed me to create built in holders for the annunciator leds.
    The glareshield and pedestal are constructed from 10mm MDF.
    The overhead framework is from pine.

I have followed plans from the Markus Pilot website and just did a lot of research and spent ages looking at other peoples cockpits and photos.

All the panels are from OpenCockpits and this incorporates their plug and play MCP, EFIS, FMC, COMM and NAV units.

At the end of the day, the cockpit is your cockpit. Others may tell you 'I wouldn't do it that way' or 'have you tried the latest gizmo from blah blah' but it boils down to what you want, what room is available, what you can afford and how you actually want to reach your goal in a few years time.

That said however, do listen to what people say. Many speak from experience and will be only to happy to share their knowledge with you.

Gary

8. Thanks darrenw thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

I think we need some photos Gary!

--
    Bryn

25+ Posting Member bussgarfield's Avatar

Bryn,

I think you are right.

I will start a new thread once I have worked out how to post the pics - I have tried in the past but it keeps on about a url number. Any advice greatly received.

Cornleader - sorry to hijack your thread - butting out now.

Gary