Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPS Tariff

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

UPS Tariff

Has anyone else been hit with a bill from UPS for some kind of tariff?

I ordered a VFD2041 LCD screen from solarbotics in Canada. I live in the US.

I paid the $115 plus the shipping and the items was delivered.

A few days later I get an invoice from UPS, telling me I owe them $24.75. For what?

I have done 99% of my shopping online, from all over the world, since about 1990, and I have NEVER seen this before. Does anyone know what this is about, and what legal precedence UPS has to charge me anything beyond what I paid the company that shipped my product?

Is this a customs tariff? The funny thing is, I look at the UPS invoice and it says that the item I ordered is worth $1,150.... but the tariff rate is FREE, with an amount of 0.00.

The charge is for an Entry prep Fee.... why am I paying that?

Thanks,

Re: UPS Tariff

You are not alone, here's my story as well

http://www.my737sim.com/?p=238

Best,

Matt

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Warren,

As far as I know, there are NO tariff/custom or duty fees of buying products from Canada (that I'm aware of). Now the other way around, going to Canada, those poor folks pay up the ying yang with fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Olieman View Post
    Warren,

As far as I know, there are NO tariff/custom or duty fees of buying products from Canada (that I'm aware of). Now the other way around, going to Canada, those poor folks pay up the ying yang with fees.

Yeah this is just UPS looking for a way to snake oil money out of us. They did this to me on my first Canadian order from FDS. (see URL above)

I called them. They said it was the us government who charges them this fee and they have to pass it on. Later someone said something else, that it was a brokerage fee charged for them "carrying a parcel across the us boarder" in all politeness. I called BS on them but still did not get a refund. Unlike getting a bill later, I had to pay at the door or else my mip was going back to ups.

Extortion if you ask me.

Funny enough... I've ordered lots more from fds over the last year and not once have I been charged this fee. I've never been charged this fee from receiving things from fly engravity, or revolution-simproducts. And they all (unfortunately) use ups.

Which tells me, ups is full of it and simply wanted to get a fee out of me. Because (and many have posted about this if you google it) there is no rhyme or reason as to why this fee gets charged.

Best,

Matt Riggins

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Hence why I always go with DHL, always deliver much earlier than promised and never had any problems with ordering internationally.

"UPS....Consider 'your' done!"
    GA or the Highway!

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

DHL stopped delivering to residences in the U.S.

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Sorry to hear that Matt, saying that, DHL do have a larger presence in the EU.
    GA or the Highway!

Quote Originally Posted by my737sim View Post
    You are not alone, here's my story as well

http://www.my737sim.com/?p=238

Best,

Matt
    That's right Matt, now I remember reading about youer trials with this.

I spent a good hour beating up on some some poor girl at UPS that had the unfortunate experience of answering the phone last night (Friday night). Did some research on the net too. Here's what I have been able to find:

1. UPS Supply chain Solutions is NOT UPS. They are a third party broker. UPS hires them to move packages across the Canadian border. It is NOT a tariff but a "handling fee disguised as a "setup fee".

2. The fee is not charged if you select one of the more expensive UPS handling methods. It is automatically included in that fee. If you select "Standard UPS" you run the risk of being charged. Lesson learned... never select standard UPS from/to Canada... Or, don't use UPS again.

3. We as a community need to push for our Canadian based businesses to inform us of the possibility of these charges when we order.

I'm going to fight this but I don't see me winning.

-My biggest issue is that I am unable to return the package because it has been opened. I was never given the opportunity to refuse the package and received this invoice after a week.

-I never contracted for this company to do anything. Why am I responsible for a fee? If it was a customs fee then I could understand. It's not... it's a handling fee above and beyond what I agreed to pay for shipping and handling (during the checkout process). As far as I'm concerned, the seller should be responsible for it, or should inform me of it when I check out.

I did see that a class action suit against UPS in Canada went nowhere on a similar issue.

MY lesson learned... I've been a loyal UPS'er since my wife worked for them in the 1990's. I buy everything online. I know the UPS guy so well we could invite him for holidays with the family... UPS just got their last dime from me. I will do without before I give UPS another red cent worth of business.

Rant complete... thanks for listening, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Olieman View Post
    Warren,

That is what I'm finding out too Matt... that is the strange part. The invoice says that the item (LCD screen) is worth $1,150 but the tariff is free ($0). I do not believe that solarbotics/HVW put that value on the item. Then again, this was not a tariff so it doesn't matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast