Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UPS Tariff

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: UPS Tariff

I just did a little more research into this. As I had said, I order everything...

I just looked at my receipt with HVWTech closely.... I selected FREE USPS (United States Postal Service) shipping when I checked out. I went back to their site and made a new shopping cart to see what options are available for shipping to the US...

USPS = Free
    UPS Ground = $3.45
    UPS Expedited = $32.19

I had selected FREE. It would appear that they mailed my product with UPS and that is why I got hit with the charge. I was only charged the $114.50 the item cost.

As much as I hate to say this, I am going to have to take this up with HVWTech/Solarbotics. It's a shame, I was going to order another one of these too. I'll see how they handle this issue.

UPDATE!! Well, this turns out to be a good news story.

I contacted HVW tech/Solarbotics about the UPS tariff I was hit with, explaining what happened, and my thoughts on it. They asked me to send them the invoice, which I did. A day later they emailed me with the following (excerpt):

"Hi Warren,

We have paid the bill with UPS on your behalf. We apologize again for the error."

I cannot praise the service, actions, and attitude of this company, enough!

I encourage all to check out their websites http://www.hvwtech.com and http://www.solarbotics.com/ for items you may need for your builds.

I'm promptly ordering another VFD-2041 or similar LCD for a later project, just to support them.

Warren

3. Thanks W9XE/Project777 thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

I am in Canada and as Matt has said, our government makes it extremely hard and very expensive to buy outside of Canada. I am sourcing parts from Europe and before I make a purchase I must spend countless hours researching. We have a whole section of the government dedicated to stealing our... sorry I mean encouraging it's citizens to purchase products made in Canada.

Before I buy internationally I first contact the seller and ask what the country of manufacturing is. Our government charges different tariffs depending on this. Next I have to make sure the seller clearly states on the box or packing slip that the products are not aviation parts, this will incur more tariffs, and that they are hobby components. Hobby supplies are free from duties and tariffs. Unfortunately my government does not feel that hobby parts for a "replica" should be a 1:1 ratio, that is why it must be stated they are for hobby use.

I had to call border services today and ask about buying from simworld. The just did not understand that I want to buy realistic full sized replica parts for a home cockpit. They tried everything to convince me they were real aviation replacement parts. So that is why I must get the seller to put on the box or packing slip that they are not aviation parts.

Always ask questions before buying internationally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12