10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Ready to take that first big step!

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. My Name is Tim. I’m in my 40’s and reside in east coast Canada. I work as a computer programmer.

I have been an avid flight simmer since MSFS 5 or so. I’m running FSX on a fast machine with 2 x 24 inch LCD monitors using a Saitek joystick and throttle. The graphics are amazing but I have been finding that the more I play, the more I want. After doing some searching on the internet I discovered the home cockpit building following. I had no idea this hobby existed until about a year ago.

So now I am planning to start a 737 cockpit. The first things I took into consideration were the difficulty, challenge, dedication and cost of the project. This is some thing that I would work at bit by bit over the years. I am a musician and have been playing mainly guitar for well over 25 years. I used this to satisfy my DIY approach to my hobbies and got into creating vintage guitar effects. Learned how to source parts, read schematics, solder and fabricate. When this became boring I started to reproduce 1960 era tube amplifiers and build working Marshall amp replicas from the 60’s, which I actively gig with.

I asked myself if I was confident taking on this project. The computer side should not be an issue as a programmer. The electronics should not be too hard thanks to my DIY projects I have built over the years. Fabricating the framework of the cockpit should be fine. Cost? The main reason I expect this to take many years. There was only 1 thing holding me back.

Finding a support group to guide me through the project. Where do I buy parts? Are parts available in Canada? Would I be able to find good guidance dealing with the electronics, software, part sourcing, reputation of sellers, etc? This site seems to be one of the better groups of experienced builders that contains all the resources needed to follow through with my project. I’ll spend some time reading through the posts, asking stupid questions and hopefully with the help of this community make the big step and actually commit to the project.

Sorry for the long-winded introduction!!

Re: Ready to take that first big step!

Hi cornleader!

Welcome to this exiting and fun hobby! Reading your post makes me confident that your learning curve won't be as steep as it would be if you have no experience in computer science or electronics!

You also have a sound approach to the hobby: Take your time

You will soon learn that there are several different paths to a solution. Very few things are written in stone when it comes to cockpit building.

The two things I will advice though, is this:

Think big! implement small!

Build in phases, with each phase ending up with a fightdeck you can fly! Having the thing sitting there half-done will drain your enthusiasm

Last, but not least:

This fun! You're gonna love it!!

Arctic Cockpit Project-Vardø, Norway (2002-2010) 737NG-PM-OC-FDS

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Welcome)
    It is very nice))

10+ Posting Member

I must say it's scary taking that first step. I have spent so much time reading posts and articles. There is so much I don't know. I like to picture or plan things in my head before I begin a project. I want to understand all the systems before I start to build.

25+ Posting Member

Cornleader,
    Welcome aboard the fascinating and frustrating hobby. I suggest that you read the following info:

www.mikesflightdeck.com - He is also writing tips and tutorial on this site.

Also get both of his books and read them from cover to cover. They cover all kinds of topics for this hobby.

The interesting thing about building a simulated cockpit is that there is always soemthing new to learn that applies to the problems you are trying to solve. I a retired computer Science professor and have been learning new things everyday like designing circuit boards, CAD software, machining (lathe and millling), mold making and resin casting, and the list just goes on.

I am building a 1959 Piper Tripacer general aviation cockpit. My web site is:

http://sites.google.com/site/tripacersimpit/

Jump in and Good Luck

Tripacer

10+ Posting Member

Looks like a nice community here. I have been doing some researching on this site and it looks like a great support community. I read up on so many topics and the more I read the more realistic I want this thing to be! Many eureka moments... AHH THATS HOW YOU DO THAT!" and so forth. So I've decided to go with building in a full room with curved screen. I have so much more to read and learn. This is the kind of thing you don't want to jump into unprepared. All my friends think I have absolutely gone off the deep end but you folks get it!

So many decisions to make.
    You will soon learn that there are several different paths to a solution. Very few things are written in stone when it comes to cockpit building.
    I totally get it now. I am planning to start with the MIP but still, do I buy one? Build one? Every item and component seems to have so many different options and decisions that need to be made.

I CAN'T WAIT!!