75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

FS9 crashes to desktop

Hi All,

just this evening, FS9 has started to crash to the desktop for the first time and is now happening all the time.

I thought it might be associated with some config changes I made (new AFCAD and Terrain/Texture tweaks) but when I rolled back the changes, it still crashes. It normally happens a couple of mins into a flight and in different locations. There is no error message displayed and no warning - just a very sudden termination of FS9 and back to the desktop.

Does anyone have any ideas where/how to start trouble-shooting this problem?

thanks,
    Ryan.

Check out my website !!!

Re: FS9 crashes to desktop

I would use the Task Manager and monitor what your CPU is doing when it happens. Does this ever happen on the ground or only in flight? You should also use CPU-Z / GPU-Z and monitor your system temps as it may be a heat spike issue. On the software side I would completely uninstall your video drivers and then reinstall them. Lastly if you've made any changes to the master config file try a default one and fly a default aircraft to narrow down the issue. You could also uncheck the last scenery you installed in the add-on scenery window, restart the sims and see what happens. Without more details of what you have first tried to eliminate most folks won't be able to help much. Hope that helps some.

75+ Posting Member

Thanks SimSamurai.

You mentioned that the problem might be a heat spike. I did consider that but I thought that a heat-spike would cause a blue-screen and computer restart - not just an FS9 program termination. Can a heatspike just affect FS9?

I did over-clock recently and it had been running fine but yesterday the ambient temp was at least 10 degrees higher than normal so it could have just over-heated.

The crashes happened both on the ground and in the air.

thanks,
    Ryan.

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

The VC can overheat too if it's not cooling completely. This can cause it to reset. Try using a different graphic intensive game and see if it still happens. If it does then it's something either driver or hardware related (not FSX). If it doesn't then it's something in the FSX. Sometimes scenery upgrade can cause this because it effects more then just the area you are flying in or more then just the area of scenery you had added. Changes to landclass and autogen can do this. Even though you have added only one area that is new or upgraded the upgrade spreads out farther. If the call for the landclass has been modified for your added area then other area's with similar but now altered landclass could cause your FSX to crash.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

75+ Posting Member

It was FS9 that was crashing. When I tried FSX, it had no problems at all. This led me to believe it might be configuration related - but then when I rolled back the changes - it still kept crashing.

As well as add the AFCAD (just updated taxi/runway layouts for one airport) I also modified some params:

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400
    TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000
    TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000

/Ryan.

Check out my website !!!

I agree with the last poster about scenery install issues. I've also had FS9 CTD issues before myself but it was more aircraft / panel / gauge related.

Heat builds up anytime you are running a CPU/GPU intensive program and yes typically you may get a BSOD but I have also seen just a crash to desktop or screen freeze. I'd say make a checklist and again, attempt to eliminate the obvious first.

Recreate a test scenario with the same conditions for each test cycle:
    #1 - Use a default aircraft / default panel for all tests.
    #2 - Use the same flight plan A to B.
    #3 - Use an unmodified master config.
    #4 - Time how long it takes the fault to happen after you fire up the PC and sim. (if it happens quick..say 5 minutes after PC start then heat may not be an issue. If it happens after 30 minutes then heat could be an issue. ---If you suspect heat, remove your case side and place an external fan over your CPU / GPU and retest. If you last longer in flight then again...heat may be the issue as the added cooling will help make the app run longer.

I assume you realize that overclocking / (overvolting) creates more heat and more instability. You buy your ticket...you takes your chances!

Unfortunately in the end you may just have some file corruption somewhere which may require a full reinstall of FS. A last resort non-the-less but you can save alot of your files before doing so (aircraft, gauges, sound, scenery, etc..) There is also a program that can preserve your FS registry so that a reinstall is more painless. -- I have wriiten a book which has a ton of useful info so you may want to check it out. Take a look at my YouTube user page and find my website.