Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

win7 network set up

hello to all
    iu have just receved my 2 ney clients and this is the first time i have ever build a network
    i understand the connections part but do not understand how to set it up via windows
    i am using win7 ultimate on all 3 pc witch i will be using PM and FSX
    on my main sever is working very well so just ned to make the network
    what i do not understand is win7 has 3 diffrent types of net works
    home

work

public

witch do i use??
    regards

Re: win7 network set up

hey in windows 7 network set up is so easy. i will tell you how to do.

- open Start Menu> Control Panel> click on Network and Internet > and click on Network and Sharing Center.
    - now Choose change adopter setting.
    - now give ip add on IP4 or IP6 as you like.
    now shear any folder as tou want to shear on network.
    here basic setup is finish now you can use network.

Wow I like it. you give nice information. and your explain in detain is very good but can you send screen shot to understand easily and proper menu. so if possible then send screen shot.

I am using 2 PCs running XP and a new one running Windows 7. When I put up the network, then the network and sharing center always recognises my network as being public. Every time I start my PCs, the windows 7 PC first recognises the network as public and it takes several minutes to recognise the network as being "private". Is there a way to get around this long time?
    I also have the problem, that my XP PCs show the windows 7 PC within the network, but the windows 7 PC will not show up the XP PCs, although LLTP is activated and all firewalls are off. Can somebody help me, please?

150+ Forum Groupie

The notion of public, private, home and work networks was something that was introduced with Vista and is used to control a bunch of default security settings. When you first connect to a new network Windows will ask you what kind of network it is. For a network at home, I always say 'Home'. Windows should remember this each time it restarts unless and until you delete that network or change the default gateway address.

You didn't say so, but I suspect your network here is wireless? In that case, the problem is that DHCP takes a while to assign an address and until it does so, and Windows then recognises the network as one it knows, it starts out assuming it's a public network for security reasons. You can fix this by moving to a static IP assignment for that particular wireless network; that way, as long as Windows can see the network SSID being broadcast and knows that the network is up, it will go directly to being a trusted home network.

The reason why you can't see your Win7 PC on the XP PCs (and then can't share etc) is that by default Windows 7 machines are not network-discoverable and sharing is not allowed. If you correctly set up your network as a Home network then these defaults should be changed (unlike on Windows Vista), since they're clearly not then you can change this manually by going to

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings

which will allow you to make your Win7 box discoverable and enable sharing.

As a general principle, if you're running a small home network with a limited number of devices, I tend to favour static addressing rather than DHCP. It gets round a number of network connection problems that you might otherwise experience. Just my $0.02, of course.

NH

6. Thanks choffmann thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Hi,

after Windows 7 has identified a network once it should normally not take long to recognize it when you log on again.

But I strongly second the idea of giving fixed IP addresses in a private network, using 10.0.X.X or 192.168.X.X adress ranges. The network identification problem will then be gone.

If you need outside access on one of the machines you can always install a second NIC in that one.

I have a mix of WIN2000 (yep, still going strong), WIN XP and WIN 7 computers running here and after a lot of fiddling, I generally have access across all of them. Only one has an external connection to the internet. The FS Server (FSX) is now running (quite well) on a 64-bit WIN7 machine.

"Homegroup" is definitely disabled but I have created a "workgroup" like it used to be in WIN2000 and XP.

The following links might be useful:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru...-windows7-help

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ons-of-Windows

Viel Glueck
    Last edited by a340-th; 08-15-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling - aaaarrghhh
    Erhard in Thailand

8. Thanks choffmann thanked for this post

Thanks for your advice. Everything connected now! Great!