75+ Posting Member Bjarne Horsbøl's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mycockpit.org FS9 starting up with default flight

Hello !

I know this question seems very lazy.

My PC is not the quickest and with my scenerys, the load time is long, and it would be fine not having to wait for the screen where I select a flight and then wait further.

Is it possible to hit fs9.exe and go to my kitchen ..make a cup of coffee.. and when I come back to my sim, it has loaded the saved default flight ?

Regards
    Bjarne

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Re: FS9 starting up with default flight

Assuming you have done all the computer house cleaning that needs to be done.

- Virus/Spyware scan
    - Defrag

Then it's mostly a question of the amount of memory you have to work with. Windows will dump and then cache if needed based on the amount of memory you have available. If you're working with less then 1gig ram then it will dump and cache' more then if you have say 2 gig ram. More cache' is work for windows as it's processing and storing (like a squirrel with to many nuts) - into Virtual Memory. This really doesn't have anything to do with frame rate as that is processing. However the more stuff that is stored in RAM the less work windows needs to do to pull it out of virtual memory and put it back again. It's kind of like a sponge and large sink of water. The sponge can only work with so much water. The bigger the sponge the more water it can hold (less trips to the sink - Hard Drive).

Your computer will use Virtual Memory no matter what task you give it. It also uses it to keep Windows (OS tasks) in there as well. Without a good amount of virtual memory space windows has no choice but to commit that to RAM which you are using to do your tasks. So Virtual Memory is much like the size of your sink (see analogy above).

So a few things..

Make sure that all non essential background software is turned off.
    Make sure you do regular Defrags (this puts your file bits back where they belong - windows can retrieve them faster).
    Make regular scans for virus's/spyware.
    Make sure you have a good amount of free space on your HD. As virtual memory will use that for more then just FSX tasks.
    - Good ballpark figure for WinXP is about 80-90 gig free (double that for WinVista / Win7)
    If possible add in some more RAM.
    - That will reduce cache' (virtual memory requests) and speed the loading considerably.

The more water you want to move about the bigger the sink and sponge need to be..

Cheers.
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: FS9 starting up with default flight

Hello Bjarne,

If I understand your question, you want to know how to start FS without going through the flight selection menu?
    Assuming that is what you want, you simply have to change the line shown below in the FS config file... FS9.cfg

You'll find it in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9 - this is for Windows XP, the location will be slightly different for Vista or Windows 7.

change - SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1
    to - SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0

That should do the trick.

Regards
    Joe.

4. Thanks AlexJ thanked for this post