Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Garmin G1000

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Garmin G1000

would love too, but unfoirtuantly i am on proper holidays until tuesday, so i am just going to have to stay at home

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Quote Originally Posted by cjellwood View Post
    Interesting thread. I am working on this too but with a 10.4" screen, not 12". It would be nice to use 12" because not many 10.4" screens are capable of 1024 res

The buttons are the trickiest part and finding concenrtic encoders for the knobs is proving hard work. In fact the button/knob issue wound me up so badly that I went and bought the original set from a Garmin distributor at great expense.

Chris
    I am also planning to use G1000 in my sim, however I am not sure whether to use 12" or 10,4" LCD. I'd like to use the latter one, as it is the size of the monitors in Tecnam P2006t but I am afraid that the resolution might be too low...

I cannot find any similar knobs either, therefore I got interested in buying original Garmin ones. Can you please tell me what the cost for the whole set was?

Thanks in advance for help

The total price for knobs (PFD and MFD) was £170. I thought the order would include buttons but just knobs unfortunately.

Chris

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

The total price for knobs (PFD and MFD) was £170. I thought the order would include buttons but just knobs unfortunately.

Chris
    Wow thanks for such a quick response

That's expensive, especially considering that they don't include buttons... I sent an e-mail to Garmin asking for the whole set including buttons but I'm still waiting for the answer...

Anyway, thanks once again

Garmin will just forward you to one of their suppliers. If you are in the UK then contact a guy named Alec Vincent at www.rgv.co.uk

Let me know if you get word on the buttons because I still need those

Chris

25+ Posting Member

well i am starting from scrath again, the screens did not fit the faces very well at all, my fault for not thinking it through and giving my self a little more room to work. so i have redesigned the front panels, and will get these made from aluminimum, still working out how to back light the buttons and such, but may for goe this as it could add alot more issues than anything, as far as the buttons goe, i had some made, not the exact replicas, but close enough.

as far as the panel goes, i will be createing home made dry transfers for the lettering and symbols, then procect them with some semi gloss clear laquer. now all i have to do is redesign the pcbs, get some elma dual encoders and start work. hope to have some pics as i get it done.

the 12.1 screen i use atre 800x600pixels in size but are running at a 1024x768 res, they look good running the minstart aviation g1000 software. i belive that the g1000's don't have a higher res than what i am using anyways

Jason

maybe we can work together on the next round because next week I will be commissioning a 3D design and aluminium prototype of the G1000 surround panel. There is no reason why that part cannot be formed from ABS but the hole trimming will be a pain unless it goes into a CNC afterwards. We probably have differing screen sizes anyway but worth mentioning.

Chris

25+ Posting Member

maybe we can work together on the next round because next week I will be commissioning a 3D design and aluminium prototype of the G1000 surround panel. There is no reason why that part cannot be formed from ABS but the hole trimming will be a pain unless it goes into a CNC afterwards. We probably have differing screen sizes anyway but worth mentioning.

Chris
    would be intrested in seeing the finished product and what sort of cost it would be, for me to get the panels made and sent to me, in 3mm aluminmum it is going to cost about $300aud, i will have to do a few little things like paint and letter it and drill mounting holes, and of course it wont have the 3d relief that the real garmins have.

as far as the screens go, i have found that you need to add a little bit around the screens to get it all to fit properly, it is only about 5mm each side, but that allows the screesn to sit flush with the panel and give you room for the switches and PCB's. i am using the AUoptronics 12.1 lcds for mine, and i will be going to use the leodebonar dual encoders, means i will be buying his card too, and the OC mastercard doesn't like these encoders, and using the encoder card will be way to expensive.

if you would like to know more spec about the lcds i am using let me know.

Jason

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmckee View Post
    i will be going to use the leodebonar dual encoders, means i will be buying his card too, and the OC mastercard doesn't like these encoders, and using the encoder card will be way to expensive.
    Jason
    About this, I was looking and the various softwares that simulate G-1000 using combinations of keys to its commands.
    Reason for which I will use for my encoders and switches an OC USBKeys and Encoders II card with a modified PIC.
    About the LCD screen, can you give us the specific model??. I am seen, those are only the LCD panel for repair notebooks.
    Thank you very much

Hurrah! Glad to see I'm not alone. Very interesting project. I'm also building a Garmin 1000 equipped aircraft (C172) using Project Magenta GAGC. I'm using 10.4inch Toshiba screens used for kiosks. I had trouble fitting the screens around the buttons, still trying to work this one out. The screen frame seems to extend to the left, so I have to work aorund that. Also using Leo Bodnar's Elma dual encoders for mine too.

Keep us posted Jason. The design is looking good.

Rhydian

My Blog here...

http://www.cessnaglasscockpit.blogspot.com/

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast