10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

PMDG MD-11 flightdeck???

Hi guys,
    Well ive finally decided to start looking into building a flightdeck at home!
    Been spending lots of time surfing web sites trying to learn all about this great hobbie of ours...man there's a lot to take on. Im a real life pilot but don't have much experience with Electronics, programming etc so can't wait to get started.
    I love PMDG's MD-11 and would love to use that software to base my flightdeck on. So here's my questions:
    1. Can I drag the PFD/ND/ on one LCD and EICAS etc on another LCD? (I have a Dual Video card setup on my PC with 4 inputs)
    2. I dont have endless $$$ so want to make my Overhead panel etc and maybe even my own pushbuttons etc.... I like what DREW has done with his B767 overhead (Photo cut out , then installing push buttons/toggles) Can I build the overhead like DREW and then programm the push buttons/toggles throu a I/O card (might use FDS one)? I understand PMDG dont have offsets (is that the right term??) to do this? If I cant program a overhead using PMDG MD-11 software i wont continue with MD-11 flightdeck and will look at PM instead.

Thanks guys , All your flightdecks look amazing!!!

Chris

Re: PMDG MD-11 flightdeck???

hi Chris welcome
    one thing i have learnt from this is to have patience when building your pit and expect to make mistakes, learn from them, and then have another go.

Its a huge learning curve and easy to get side tracked. I find i start a project and then think of something else and start that. Not the best project management strategy, but it sometimes gives me the ability to come back to the initial project and do it right.

Another thing is to try and make the sim flyable at all times during the build. That way you can go for a fly when you get bored/frustrated and it reinvigorates you again.
    Cheers
    Dave

500+ This must be a daytime job ian@737ng.co.uk's Avatar

hello chris........
    funny you should write this post. i have just finished ripping the MD11 apart in FSX for a friend so he can have just the screens available for display. it is possible to do what you want by 'adjusting' the panel.cfg file.
    although PMDG do not publicise offsets, you are able to use the FSUIPC 'mouse macro' technique on their panels. so controlling your overhead should be no
    problem.
    i'm going over there later, so i'll get a screenshot so you can see what i mean....
    have a great day...

ian
    Mr. Ian. P. Sissons is hereby recognised as an Honorary Flight Sim Captain following his passing in February 2016. This is in recognition for his commitment to Flight Simulation.

www.mycockpit.org Featured Builder August 2008 www.737ng.co.uk
    FS9/PROSIM737/CPFLIGHT/Lots of BU0836X's and a Beer Fridge

10+ Posting Member

Thanks Ian,
    I would be very interested in seeing what you had to do to panel .cfg file to get PFD/ND on one LCD and EICAS on another. could you let me know what you had to do to file?(I wouldnt no were to start!) thanks
    Might look at getting another LCD so I can start playing around with different aircraft setups.
    Just got the latest price list from PM for Airbus Instruments/Sysyems software! its WAY out of my price range when you convert it to NZ dollars ($3000)
    Thanks again Guys
    Ps...Have they started flying up there yet? I have a friend stuck in UK.

Cheers
    Chris

25+ Posting Member

I have the MD11 on three screens, PMDG has a small download on there site with a modified Panel confg file that allows you to drag the PFD,ND,EICAS and over head to any screen you wish along with amy other pop up panel. MD11 is a wonderfully flying machine.
    percy

10+ Posting Member

thanks

10+ Posting Member

Hi, finally received 2 19inch LCD monitors in mail. I have another so 3 in total now.
    Downloaded the PMDG "Undock Panel.CFG " file from PMDG web site... I can now undock all Instrument displays. I am putting the PFD and ND on one and 2 EICAS displays on another. I use the 3rd big LCD for outside view and FCU etc. After I set this up I saved the instrument setup through PMDG drop down menu and FSX. I restarted FSX and all 4 Instrument displays were still undocked BUT were on Big LCD instead of 19inch LCDs.
    Any thoughts guys?
    I want to try and sort this out (if I can) before I start MIP construction

Thanks

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ian@737ng.co.uk View Post
    hello chris........
    funny you should write this post. i have just finished ripping the MD11 apart in FSX for a friend so he can have just the screens available for display. it is possible to do what you want by 'adjusting' the panel.cfg file.
    although PMDG do not publicise offsets, you are able to use the FSUIPC 'mouse macro' technique on their panels. so controlling your overhead should be no
    problem.
    i'm going over there later, so i'll get a screenshot so you can see what i mean....
    have a great day...

ian