Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Boeing Re: Start of B737 NG Project

Hello All,

just some update on my project. The MIP is finished in terms of woodwork. Now i am ready to move the whole thing to my cockpit room for the wiring. For this i also ask for some suggestions how to approach the wiring. I have 2 BU0836X controllers from Leo Bodnar, OC Mastercard, OC USB Expansion card, OC Output card and 2 x Display card. I do not know how to approach the wiring in a good and organized way. I think i will place the 2 bodnar cards in the glareshiled behind the mcp as there are the most inputs at the moment which have to be connected. I also do not know how to make good connection which are connectable (and disconnectable) for fast connection of the components (should i go for 40 pin flatbed IDE cables ?).

Ok, as you can see on the pictures i most of the backlighting is done. I will install some 10 k potis to regulate the brightness of them.

The glareshield has been covered with black artificial leather over some 10mm softfoam matresses.

For the start i installed a 17 inch screen in the pedestal and will replace that with a touchscreen this year. The next steps will be wiring, installation of the missing components in the MIP, and getting the whole thing running with PROSIM737.

One major task will be to figure out how to mill the annunctiator holders and faceplates for them. I would like to see some gear indicators lighting up ; ).

Ok, as i said - i would be thankfull for any input from your side about the wiring topic. Some pics would also help.

Cheers from Würzburg / Germany

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Start of B737 NG Project

Is it 18x18cm in the windows? screen?

25+ Posting Member

Hi,

the screens have a visible area of 16,5 x 16.5 cm.

Regards
    Andy

150+ Forum Groupie

How size do you print out in for the MIP panel? and how much inch or cm monitors do you use?

25+ Posting Member

Hello All,

here are some updates about my cockpit.

The cockpit has been moved from the basement into the cockpit room. You can see the current status on one of the pictures. At the moment i do a lot of work to fill out the empty places in the MIP. This needs a lot of time. When this work is finished i will take care about the throttle quadrant.

One interessting aspect maybe: I managed to get the FMC running on my android galaxy tab using the iview app. But it runs very unstable and the response is not satisfying. Maybe a new software update has fixed these problems - i did not check.

I managed to buy a new CNC router (Moederl) which is far better than my old diy router. Now i am able to do my pieces in much shorter time because i can run at higher feedrates. You can see the AFDS panel and also (yiep yiep) the first homebuilt pcb board for it. I also can mill aluminum now. This will be handy when it comes to a new gear lever.

Having a cnc router gives you the problem that you really need to spend a lot of time for planning the parts. My workflow is the following: The autocad dwg drawing is the source of all information -> panel export as dxf for Cut2d cam software -> in cut2d i plan the tool paths and create the nc code -> export to Mach3 Software which drives the router.

Recently i started to plan the panels in 3D with Audodesk inventor. This increases the ammount of planning time dramatically but i can be sure that the parts will fit together and i do not have problems in during assembly.

Overall, i am quite satisfied with my current cockpit but i see 3 major issues which cause headache for me. 1. The encoders used in the MCP have the known problem that the BU card does not read the signal fast enough so when i turn the encoders, the BU cards misses some detents. This problem is known but i didn´t get a good solution yet. I will make a new MCP and can solve this problem then using a LUA program or using alps encoders which simulated a turn of the know. 2. The MIP is not made out of PDF but out of some weaker material (MDF was oput in the shop when i bought the material so i choose other material calles pressspanplatte. Now i am not satisfied with the stability but i do not want to make everything new. 3. The room where the cockpits is installed is too small for 3 projectors and an enclosure : (((.

A last thing, when i ordered electronic equipment here in germany, i found out that reichelt has some good knobs which are not as expensive as the OC stuff... check this linkhttp://www.reichelt.de/Drehimpulsgeb...6ef5c099aa99ee

So thats all for the moment. Have a happy new year !

Cheers from Germany
    Andy

2011-08-07 16.56.31.jpg2011-08-15 20.37.26.jpg2011-12-11 17.41.39.jpg2011-12-11 19.17.04.jpg2011-12-17 20.42.06.jpg

25+ Posting Member

Hello,

my FMC is finished. Driven by Prosim 737, OC USBKeys, OC Output card. The whole thing has been drawn in Autocad - i did 3d modelling in Autodesk Inventor to see if the parts will firt (they do)... The circuit board has been done with Sprint Layout 5 from Abacom. All parts have been milled on my cnc machine. Here is the Video:

Cheers
    Andy

PS: If there would be a contest for speaking english with german accent - i might have good chances to go for silver medal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

25+ Posting Member

Hello,

The FMC has been installed at its place.

How does it work?
    The keypresses are recognized by an OC usbkeys card connected to the main computer. With sioc script (thanks Mario !) the key presses are changed into the right output values that the Open Cockpit FMC uses (as this is supported by PROSIM). Prosim reads the values from SIOC and controls the Prosim CDU application which is running on the client computer. The PSONE display in the FMC is connected also to the client computer and displays the output of the prosim CDU Application.

Sometimes, the cdu display does not show any reaction when i press a button - a second prosim cdu application open on the main computer shows the reaction. I have to check out whats the problem.

The FMC itself consists of front panel, buttons, circuit board, psone screen holder, psone display and the related control board. You can see on the picture how it is assembled.
    It is backlit with the usual 12V LED stripes put behind the front panel. It is very bright at the moment so i will control the brightness of the backlight with a LED dimmer from hongkong i pulled from ebay for 1€ per piece and 3 euro shipment fee. You can see the dimmer and the nice easter egg packaging of the other 4.
    2012-03-13 17.52.49.jpg2012-02-14 19.43.33.jpg2012-03-13 18.48.13.jpg2012-03-04 22.21.29.jpg2012-03-13 19.07.03.jpg

I had trouble with milling the circuit board of the FMC, i broke 5 end mills (0.5mm) until i used 0.7mm mills. The circuit layout has been adopted from a website i fortunately found 2 years ago and downloaded the documentation that time. Now the website is gone. Sometime it pays of, just to download informations even when you need them in the future. The layout was adopted, which means i made the whole layout new with a program called "sprint layout" from abacom. Which is very good softare as it can create toolpaths for the cnc machine.

The connection of the PSONE lcd was done with the well known PSONE screen mod you can find everywhere in the web. Unfortunately the viewing angle of the psone screen is not the best and for the next fmc i will get a 5 inch display at www.lcdstore.deThis is the place where i also purchased an excellent 10.4 inch open frame display used as lower eicas screen.

Next project - throttle.

Cheers
    Andy

25+ Posting Member

Hello fellow Flightsimbuilders,

just some update about my project.

After i started with the CNC work for the Throttle Quad i decided that i should get some knowledge of 3D Modelling first, because this will be very helpful for the design of the throttle. So i decided to go for the center pedestal first and try out some 3D Modelling of the related panels first. Attached you´ll find a picture of the XPNDR Panel which is in design phase.

Besides the different planel i also attached some photos of the recent activities.

2012-07-19 21.00.01.jpg2012-07-19 21.00.12.jpg2012-08-01 19.41.31.jpg2012-08-01 21.02.18.jpg2012-08-01 21.18.24.jpgXPNDR.jpg

The pictures give you a good overview how i design my panels. The major improvement is that i now use aluminum as support layer which gives the panels for strength. The backlighting is still done with some prefabricated LED stripes - i am not very happy about that because it means some odd soldering. I tried to include the LEDs onto the PCB but at the moment i am just able to make isolation milling with an isolation channel of 0.7 mm which is still to big to get many components onto the board. You see the pcb in one of the pictures.

Because i am a total lower when i comes to connecting a lot of cables in a clean way - i am happy to make a lot of cabling and soldering absolute because the use of the PCB i do now.

The next major project will be the throttle. I hope to make a good design with motorized levers. But this will take a lot of time to develop. I am thinking about the purchase of a small turning lathe to make also rotation symmetrical parts such as lever handles, some axes or maybe spacers and such stuff.

Some words about CNC:

Important is that you have some CNC router - seems clear. As you might do small panels, you do not need a big workspace 300 x 300 mm should be fine for the most of workpiece you need for a cockpit. If the machine is available you need some software. As described in the attached youtube video, i usually start with an auto cad drawing. The complete 737 cockpit as autocad file is available in the download section here. This gives you a good starting point. I take panel by panel and start putting the different components on different layer (Frontplate Layer, Engraving Layer, Alu Support Layer, PCB Layer Component Layer). The single layer is safe as dxf and then imported in Cut2D from Vectric Software. With that software i create to tool paths. The tool paths are exportet as TXT file to Mach 3 which controls the CNC machine. I put the aryl (plastic) pieces onto the machining table (wood) and use screws to secure them. The router motor is a Kress Spindle which is suitable for all plastic, brass, aluminum works. I did not try milling steel yet, but i thing the load on the bearings in the spindle will lead to extended wear or damage.

After the panels are done in the CNC i use some Scotch Brite and get some roughness onto the surface for painting. First use a primer, then 2 layers of car color out of the spray can. The parts need to rest for 4 - 5 day until they are ready for the engraving process. Engraving is done with the CNC machine. I use a 0.5 or 0.7 mm end mill. As my table is not very flat (0.2 mm height difference) it i necessary to touch the material with the en mill and set the Z axis to zero several times. But the result i ok for me. When the backlighting is on it looks very good.

Some words about the costs so far. Including the purchase of the CNC machine, tools, drill press, material, OC stuff, pokeys, monitors i have spend 11.000 € so far. For that money it would have been possible to purchase a lot of high quality cockpit modules parts from professional suppliers.

The return of investment is fun and a lot of knowledge you build up during building the components.

At last here is a link to a new Youtube Vid i just uploaded to provide some moving pictures of my workflow and the ADF panel....

Cheers from Germany
    Andy

Hi,

Very informative videos and nice work! I am just beginning my build project (i.e. research, dreams) and see that a cnc machine can really make a world of difference. My question is: did you find your first cnc (the homebuilt) a useful step or if you were to do it again would you buy directly the model you have from mixware.de?

25+ Posting Member

Ola,

if i were to do it again, i would go for a professional solution right from the beginning. The DIY version had some major problems with the control system and also with the stability of the gantry. If you only want to mill some small panels (plastic cutout & engraving) a DIY machine with a good control system would be ok, but as you continue to make your own stuff, you´ll definitely will come to a point, where a good and stable system is needed. You do not need to go for mixware.de stuff - i think ebay also can provide some good and maybe cheaper solutions. At least, buying a cnc router is expensive, but opens many possibilities not only for the flight sim hobby.

Cheers
    Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast