500+ This must be a daytime job Boeing 747 Flyer's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

A CDU idea... Would this work?

Hello everyone,

I have thought of a possible cheap solution for a CDU.

What if I were to literally rip the circuitry and keys off've a keyboard, then re-arrange these keys onto a CDU type frame? I would then mouse-trap the functions of the aprropriate CDU through registered FSUIPC, then assign them to the "modified" keyboard.

How would this work out? Is it even possible to mouse-trap the keys of the LDS767? Nico Kaan says you can mouse-trap alot of the LDS767 (it already comes with FSUIPC options I think), but not sure about individual CDU keys?

Thanks alot,

Jack

300+ Forum Addict

Re: A CDU idea... Would this work?

There's no reason this would not work, but the end result would probably lack a bit of visual appeal. I think we should keep an eye on Skalarki's site and see what price point he gets in with his CDU. If he get's it in at a cheap enuff price I think I would buy one to try it out. Would be really nice to see a professional looking unit with good performance at a low price. I came really close a few weeks back to building one, but I have never seen one in person, and I am afraid I would end up with a crappy looking unit. I thought it better to wait to see one first, at least have a feel for how it's supposed to look.

Buddy

I had before my Helicockpit a simple 737 cockpit. There, I have the CDU (magenta) on an old monitor and implemented a modified keyboard. Is quite simple. Button 2 contact pairs should have because of the keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl + Q "or something.
    Some pictures from back then

diffrent Screens/Panels on this Monitor:

Sorry for the bad Picturequality

Regarding using keyboard in mcdu - no problem will be working if you be able to do all the soldering as it's very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddym View Post
    There's no reason this would not work, but the end result would probably lack a bit of visual appeal. I think we should keep an eye on Skalarki's site and see what price point he gets in with his CDU. If he get's it in at a cheap enuff price I think I would buy one to try it out. Would be really nice to see a professional looking unit with good performance at a low price.
    Buddy
    Thanks Buddy, seems like you checking my website from time to time. Indeed my CDU will be available for the lowest price on the market as my idea is to make very good quality product for affordable price. But the biggest problem with CDU is lcd screen. One which I am using is PS ONE but looks like is very difficult to buy them. Anyway if anyone wants to have complete panels with buttons and illuminated switches, please contact me for more details.
    As well shortly will be ready my FCU unit. New pictures soon on my website.

300+ Forum Addict

Well, I solder A LOT. Lately for hours at a time working on my glare section. Can you PM me a bit of infor regarding your CDU project?

Buddy

10+ Posting Member

There is a possibility to make the buttons for a CPU with an iPhone and the App "Snatch"
    I have made the keyboard for the CDU in F1 Citation Mustang that way (see picture)
    What it does is simply pressing a keyboard key or a combination (I use ex. Shift+A)
    It takes a little bit of time to design and place the buttons in Snatch and is easier if the file is
    edited directly on the computer. More screens can be avaivlable at the same time, just sliding between them.

Optimal senario is an iPhone App with feedback from FSX (ex. a whole CDU) but I am not able to do the programming. Introducing the iPad, I think, makes it even more interesting.

One would of course be the owner of an iPhone but that is another storry.

Re Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images