Thread: New CNC Machine

Have CNC-----will build.
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New CNC Machine

I started building a new CNC machine about a month ago. The frame is done, z and y axis is complete and the x axis in going good. Using my first CNC machine to make the parts for the second one. The frame ends are 3/4" MDF and the z,y axis is made of 1/2" HDPE. In this unit, I am attempting to forgo any bearings and use the HDPE for bushings. HDPE is naturally very slippery, so I am going to see what happens. I am going to use the Proxxon rotary tool to begin with and have hopes that the new machine will be sturdy enough to be able to run a laminate trimmer in its stead later on. I have borrowed ideas from several units that I have seen. All axis are sliding quite nicely at this time. Am going to work on the gantry sides this weekend as the wife wants to go to the 'Hard Rock Cafe' tomorrow, she deserves it. Still not working, not much here in Florida for a sixty year old. Will Keep everyone posted on the new machines progress and will have some pictures soon. Oh yeah, the machine is will have a working area of about 12 inches wide by 24 inches long. I have even been smart enough this time to save all of the CNC files that make up the machine. Usually I build something and then delete the files due to room constraints.

Milt

300+ Forum Addict

Re: New CNC Machine

Sounds like fun Milt. My first machince I built used delrin for the bearings and drive nuts. I had 1/4 wo threaded rod for drive screws on 12 powered steppers. Not very fast, but it was very, very accurate. Sounds like the machine is coming along nicely. What do you plan to cut with it?

Buddy

Have CNC-----will build.

I only cut plastics and occasional woods. I did do some aluminum on the old machine. Not sure what I am going to do with this machine. Just mainly wanted to build a sturdier machine.....my first was a HobbyCNC unit from plans. Almost done now. Just some last minute tweaking to do. Pictures will come shortly. Total cost of this frame has been about $100.00. But lots of hours getting the measurements right so everything moves smoothly.

Milt

300+ Forum Addict

Milt, when you get this machine up and running I would love to drive over and check it out. I get over there about once a month to ORL so I can go to skycraft and vist my pal in Lake Mary. How long have you been in the area? I lived in Snaford/:ake Mary/Altimonte Springs for years when I worked for Stromberg-Carlson. I have been buying electronics parts at skycraft since 1981. Do you ever go to the hamfest out at the fairgrounds on colonial? we go every year an I always find stuff for sim building.

Buddy

Have CNC-----will build.

I am getting too old for this stuff. I forgot how to get a picture into a reply or post..pictures of the new machine are in the photo gallery under cnc.

This is very cool! Great thoughts to make it and thank you for showing us this concept, I had never heard that before. I have two questions that it does not need hard work and strong, how is the final product?

Have CNC-----will build.

I am in the process of changing the upper 1/2" rails with 5/8" rails. This is only because I did not yet have the 'end of travel' switches hooked up and the 'z' axis dug in beyond where is should have stopped and bent one of the rails. Now it does not make very good circles. So a stronger 'y' axsis rail is in the process of being done. I believe that if I go with larger steppers and a larger motor it should be ok, but no guarantees. The steppers that I use are 130 oz. Before I bent the 'y' rail, it was making very precise circles, I figure, if it can make a proper circle, it is running great.

Milt

It great machine, these plates are very sweet looking. Good job. When the 170 dishes are ready to go, I think I will buy one of you. I also two Allen wrenches you need. It is easy to do and only takes a few minutes.