Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Difference between CPflight MCP737PRO and MCP737EL?

Hi,

Could someone please explain to me how this works: The function is also supported by the EL version, but there is not a dedicated knob (push and hold the HDG pusbutton for more than 2 seconds to enter the Bank angle setting mode through the HDG knob)
    I would be interested to know whether this could be duplicated in a home made mcp.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Hi,

Could someone please explain to me how this works: The function is also supported by the EL version, but there is not a dedicated knob (push and hold the HDG pusbutton for more than 2 seconds to enter the Bank angle setting mode through the HDG knob)
    I would be interested to know whether this could be duplicated in a home made mcp.

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    Hi All,

I don't normally bump my own posts but I find it very interesting that a rotary encoder can have two functions as it appears it has in the Opencockpits EL version of the MCP. Is this done through SIOC by manipulating the reading of the Encoder as it is spinning in the new mode that has just been triggered by holding the button for 2 seconds or is it something totally different. This to me seems quite a breakthrough for the use of an encoder if it is. Does nayone here have any knowledge of what is going on in the process?

Kind Regards

Bernie.
    E8400 @ 3.0GHz, DDR2 Ram 800MHz 4Gb, Vista Home Premium 64Bit, MSI 9800GT @ 512Mb, Philips 22" LCD Widescreen, Cockpit Setup X 5 using Wideview and Widetraffic.

500+ This must be a daytime job

it wasnt the opencockpits MCP that was discussed here but the CPflight MCP PRO vs EL.

Anyway, the cpflight EL has a rotarly encoder with a push switch in it. Rotary encoders with a push function are quite common (apart from rotating the shaft, you can also push it.).
    The cpflight firmware senses the push and witches to bank angle (instead of heading).

I dont know if the opencockpits mcp is shipped with a rotary with a pushfunction, but softwarewise this is certainly possible in sioc.

Stef

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Stef,

Yes I did make a mistake with the brand, I am sorry for that. Yes I am aware of the push button and have ordered some for my MCP build. Are you saying that with SIOC, and the triggering of the Pushbutton, the encoder, when turned, then acts as a rotary switch. If this is so, then why do people put a rotary switch and encoder together to produce the same effect, or is it just the pushing of the button that increments the bank angle. If the latter is the case, then why would you have to hold it for 2 seconds to enter the bank angle mode. Think of the possibilites for a duel rotary encoder.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12