Thread: YOLK BUILDING

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

YOLK BUILDING

Hi Folks.

I am building a yolk for my 'Otter' (not the sort that swims around). I am trying to work out column movement, and pivoting it near the bottom limits the forward and back movement at this point (near the base) and restricts the amount of movement to the slide fader (potentiometer) which will limit the amount of descend/ascend control on the yoke. I can build a box so as to pivot the column higher, and give great mevement at the base, but this would take away the authentic look. I notice that other simmers have got over this problem - any idea how??

Thanks.

TONY

MyCockpit Support Staff

Re: YOLK BUILDING

Hi Tony,
    A simple solution is gearing! Put a 50mm plastic gear on the pivot point axle and then a much smaller gear on a rotary potentiometer. I did this when I made a replica Spitfire column for one of our members. See - http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...roject&cat=611 I have made a lot of plastic gears for throttle pot drives and these would easily work for pitch control too on a YOKE!!! I manufacture gear sets for AUD$30 including postage to UK if you require some for an instant solution! http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...-gears&cat=611

Cheers, Gwyn
    Last edited by Westozy; 03-18-2010 at 08:56 AM.

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Many thanks Gwyn.

I am building a gearbox to interact with the pivot bolt on the yolk. How do you adapt this idea to work for ailerons?
    Thanks for your advice.

TONY

300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    I manufacture gear sets for AUD$30 including postage to UK if you require some for an instant solution! http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/s...-gears&cat=611

Cheers, Gwyn
    I assume the postage to NL will be similar, . but what do you see as a gear set? One large one and one small one? I need to work out what I need though , .. I am glad I just saw this thread, .. thanks for offering services like this to the rest of us.

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by capetonian View Post
    I assume the postage to NL will be similar, . but what do you see as a gear set? One large one and one small one? I need to work out what I need though , .. I am glad I just saw this thread, .. thanks for offering services like this to the rest of us.
    Hi Captonian and thanks!
    1 gear set = 1 reduction drive (1 large gear and 1 small gear) The main expense is for the labour time involved in the initial setting up for the machining. If you wanted multiple identical sets, for a 4 engine throttle set up for instance, additional sets of gears would not be $30 a pair, I could supply the extra individual gears for AUD$5.00 ea. Four engine TQ gear set = AUD$60.00 + postage
    The gears can be any dimension according to the customers requirements, diameter, bore size etc.
    Tony - the spitfire yoke pivots at the top of the column and it has a chain drive down to the ailerons, I fitted a pot to this chain drive. I assume you want your whole column to pivot at the bottom for pitch and roll which does present a problem for aileron interface. I'll have a think about that one and get back to you with a sketch!

Cheers Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    Hi Captonian and thanks!
    1 gear set = 1 reduction drive (1 large gear and 1 small gear) The main expense is for the labour time involved in the initial setting up for the machining. If you wanted multiple identical sets, for a 4 engine throttle set up for instance, additional sets of gears would not be $30 a pair, I could supply the extra individual gears for AUD$5.00 ea. Four engine TQ gear set = AUD$60.00 + postage
    The gears can be any dimension according to the customers requirements, diameter, bore size etc.
    Tony - the spitfire yoke pivots at the top of the column and it has a chain drive down to the ailerons, I fitted a pot to this chain drive. I assume you want your whole column to pivot at the bottom for pitch and roll which does present a problem for aileron interface. I'll have a think about that one and get back to you with a sketch!

Cheers Gwyn

Hi Gwyn (TONY here)

The OTTER has a 'Y' shaped yolk assembly which I have built. Pulleys and belts tie in the movements created by the controls situated at the top of each 'arm' of the letter 'Y' down to a pulley situated at the centre of the 'Y'. I have considered fitting a gearbox to this pulley, but cant see how - unless I fit it to the head of the pulley bolt (which turns in bearings). It's been suggested that I fit a slide fader inside one of the arms, and attached to the belt, but I am not too keen!

Thanks for your help so far.

TONY, Plymouth UK

Quote Originally Posted by King Aaron View Post
    Hi,
    I am King Aaron.
    Many thanks and lot of love.
    ARE YOU. WHAT DO YOU FLY?

300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!

He probably flies a Persian carpet. There are links in his signature that point to it being a simple spammer. Maybe the mods could delete his post(s).

@Gwyn- thanks for the heads up on that, .. I'll be needing cogs for my TQ... but will definitely keep you in mind and have bookmarked your site.