150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Specs for LCD TV as Monitor

After reading a post on this forum this morning I cannot get this idea out of my head. (Dangerous place these forums!)
    At the moment I am using 2 *Acer monitors. A 19" for PFD/ND and a 20"Widescreen for main visuals. I am very tempted to replace the 20" Acer with an LCD TV of at least 32". Due to space limitations a projector is not viable but a larger TV is a possibility. Are there any pitfalls to be aware of before I part with my cash?

What relevant specs must the TV have.

I am running FS9 on an i5 Windows 7 computer with a GeForce GTX260 graphics card.

Thank you,
    Bill
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Specs for LCD TV as Monitor

Hi Bill.

OK, first of all you'll want to make a digital, not analog, connection. So your chosen TV must have an HDMI or DVI input (HDMI is universal on HD TVs, DVI is uncommon, but it doesn't matter as they're actually electrically the same, you just need an adapter).

Some TVs do have a 'PC' connection which is a 15-pin VGA-style connector - don't consider using this. For one thing, most displays cannot accept a full-resolution signal over analog VGA. The picture will also be notably worse, and it won't be 'dot-for-dot' and there will be some degree of stretching going on. Since HDMI/DVI is universal on new HD TVs, there's no reason to consider it.

Your graphics card will need to have a DVI or HDMI output. The former is again universal except on very old or very very cheap cards. The latter was popular for a while but is now less popular again, but as mentioned, all you need is an adapter or the right cable.

Watch out for your TVs native resolution. Cheaper TVs at this size often have a native res of 1366x768 and will be labelled 'HD Ready'. Really, you should go for something that has a native res of 1920x1080, which will be labelled 'Full HD'.

Any HD TV made in the last couple of years, particular a Full HD model, will be capable of accepting a signal from any graphics card made in the last two or three years with a DVI port. The drivers for both ATI and nVidia cards have support for HDTV resolutions built in.

Then, just make sure you have the right cable. Most often this is DVI (graphics card) -> HDMI (tv), and you can get cables made up like this, or just use a regular DVI cable with a DVI -> HDMI adapter on the end. Or (if you fancy paying through the nose for cables) an HDMI cable with an HDMI -> DVI adapter on one end. The simplest case is where you have an HDMI connection on both ends and just need a straight HDMI cable. Beware, though - HDMI cables are massively overpriced. Don't spend £50 on a cable where £10 would do!

Hook it up, select the right input on the TV, and it should all just work. I've done this several times between PCs and plasmas / LCD TVs and HD projectors.

My only bit of advice - avoid the 'really cheap' brands from high-street stores (Goodmans, Alba etc - you know the sort). You can get a decent, brand-name set with good specs without breaking the bank. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-42LH3000-...8243814&sr=1-2

It's 42", good brand, good screen (LG panels are very good), less than £500. The 32" model in that range is under £400.

Hope that helps...

NH

3. Thanks Mike.Powell, BishBash, Holclo thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Neil
    Hi again and thank you for that very clear and informative post. Will be shopping tomorrow I guess!
    Bill
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

Good info there neil!

regards

steve