Re: Kids in the tower

Love it!!!!

Thanks Joe

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Another case of where the "nanny state" is going to end up depriving many generations of fathers the chance to get their children interested in something worthwhile.

This is no different that when cops and firemen have ride-alongs, we in the military bring our kids to work for a day, or any other profession where the intent is to interest future generations.

When a young kid gets his first chance to sit in a cockpit during a flight, and is forever changed by it.... does anybody really think that kid is flying airplane?

Does anyone really think that crew was taking instructions from a child? Please. Everyone needs to grow up and quit trying to save everyone from each other. I'm disgusted that US media is making such a deal of this.

Remember sitting on your father/mothers lap driving down the street? No, you weren't really driving, but in todays world, you would be cited for underage driving without a license, probably aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and your father/mother would be imprisoned for child abuse, while you were locked up in a Juvenile detention facility....

I digress... I thought it was pretty cool. I especially thought the crew was pretty cool for giving that kid the thrill of a lifetime by acknowledging his directions.

Warren

5. Thanks W9XE/Project777, Matt Olieman, dodiano thanked for this post
    MyCockpit Support Staff dodiano's Avatar

Totally agree with you Warren but the FAA thinks in a completely different matter...It is sad... that kid did not issue any life or death instructions to an Aircraft it is just knowing first hand what your dad or mom do for a job and every aircraft in the recording kind of felt it really cool !

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

I'm willing to bet it's been going on for years, without incident. This time someone had an hair somewhere it doesn't belong and guess what, that's the ones that got noticed. I believe the majority of people were smart enough to realize there was no real risk involved and controllers acted in a responsible, professional manner and was 100% in control of the situation, others just got stupid spewed off their mouth.

Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by dodiano View Post
    Totally agree with you Warren but the FAA thinks in a completely different matter...It is sad... that kid did not issue any life or death instructions to an Aircraft it is just knowing first hand what your dad or mom do for a job and every aircraft in the recording kind of felt it really cool !
    dodiano,
    the FAA is sucumbing to the media. I'll give you an example...

I'm a pilot... I go flying and I take my kids with me. I let my kids operate the radios and pass/acknowledge transmissions from the tower. One, it helps me out, two it gets them comfortable on the radio, three it's exciting for them. I continue to make and acknowledge REQUIRED calls that affect safety. There is nothing illegal about it. In fact, AOPA, of which I am a member, and the FAA, who grants me my license, encourage me and other pilots to put spouses and offspring through courses and to teach them the emergency skills to cope in a high stress situations in the cockpit as needed. I am always PIC (Pilot in command) and all radio calls are my responsibility. My child is not flying the plane. I'm in control.

This was no different. First, it was the SECOND time he done this, which right off the bat acknowledges tacit approval by the tower supervisors and thus... FAA. It only became an issue because someone leaked it to the media.

Second, the pilots who acknowledged the instructions (the PIC, with an ATP rating, and ULTIMATELY responsible for the safety of ALL people in his plane) did not take issue with receiving the instructions from what was not only obviously a child but also not the Tower controller he talked to seconds prior. He had every right to ask for clarification if there was any doubt. he did not not. Instead, he looked out the window... cleared his airspace, and took off.... Something thousands of pilots do safely everyday, without ATC, at uncontrolled towers around the world.

I rest my case.... this is what I spend hundreds of days a year away from home for... nanny state.

Cheers!

Warren