Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    300+ Forum Addict

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Sim Avionics join forces with Flight Deck Solutions!!!

What a pity.

Not to put Peter Cos or FDS down.... but this really is a bad move and I think that they will lode a lot of business from the homebuilder like us.

But.... keep your eyes and ears peeled, .. you never know when another developer might launch an exciting new product

Boeing 777 Builder

Well you now get both versions (777/737) and there's no annual updates, plus the assurity of the software development, so just a few points to soften the blow. It does prove the SA software is really worth it though as Peter wouldn't be putting his name to it if it was dodgy.

Ken.
    Opencockpits | Aerosim Solutions | Sim-Avionics | P3D | FDS | FTX | AS16 | PPL | Kennair

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Well you now get both versions (777/737) and there's no annual updates, plus the assurity of the software development, so just a few points to soften the blow. It does prove the SA software is really worth it though as Peter wouldn't be putting his name to it if it was dodgy.

Ken.
    Also this software supports multi-monitor, requires less computers to run. (One, maybe two) A good package IMHO.

Matt

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Kennair View Post
    Well you now get both versions (777/737) and there's no annual updates,

Ken.
    This isn't exactly what Mark told existing users over at the sim-avionics forum. They were told that the existing annual charge would continue.

Too bad that the many folks who were trialling the demo and were maybe about to make the purchase were not given a last chance to buy at the original price, instead of the price hike being imposed without any warning.

--
    Bryn

10+ Posting Member

It is what it is , it made sense for FDS to do it , so the game has changed. The question is , " Is SA worth its new price ? " . Im just getting around to selecting software for my simulator and trying to make a decision based on :

1. Fidelity to real aircraft system
    2. Speed / Hardware performance
    3. Ease of Installation / setup when mainstream ( e.g Engravity / FDS ) is used.
    4. Support / Elimination of bugs
    5. Price

I gather the price change is to a bitter pill for those who didnt get the introductory pricing in time but now as the price is around about the project Magenta software Im researching the areas that SA is better and worse and trying to make a decision between the two. In price they are closely matched , is the reality that they are closely matched. If you have used both , which is better and why ? One of the things that has me concerned with PM is im gathering its very tricky to set up and get working whereas I have searched for information on SA and cant find much if anything. Price is the last point im considering but obviously a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
    It is what it is , it made sense for FDS to do it , so the game has changed. The question is , " Is SA worth its new price ? " . Im just getting around to selecting software for my simulator and trying to make a decision based on :

1. Fidelity to real aircraft system
    2. Speed / Hardware performance
    3. Ease of Installation / setup when mainstream ( e.g Engravity / FDS ) is used.
    4. Support / Elimination of bugs
    5. Price

I gather the price change is to a bitter pill for those who didnt get the introductory pricing in time but now as the price is around about the project Magenta software Im researching the areas that SA is better and worse and trying to make a decision between the two. In price they are closely matched , is the reality that they are closely matched. If you have used both , which is better and why ? One of the things that has me concerned with PM is im gathering its very tricky to set up and get working whereas I have searched for information on SA and cant find much if anything. Price is the last point im considering but obviously a factor.
    I can't tell you which one, if either, are better. Here's what I will tell you based on my years of PM use, and my few days of SimA use in the demo.

1. Sim-A has a better flight model. I've used PM for years... and it wasn't until I tried Sim-A's demo the other day did I realize that even simple flight characteristics like, takeoff, were vast more realistic in SimA then in PM.

2. My personal results showed that PM was faster then Sim-A. NOW... I've been told by a few people they got great results running Sim-A. Sim-A uses a server software that runs on a PC. (any, fs's pc, another pc, whatever you want) and then an avionics software. This avionics software, for me, is a window that is stretched across the entire set of 3 screens. From the cap pfd all the way to the fo's nd. In the software you checkmark which "pieces" you want. cap pfd, check it, on, cap nd, check it on, clock? check it on. Whatever you want. So when this stretched window comes up, you place each piece within the large window where you want it. So, why is my large avionics only getting 7 fps? Well, I think it's video cards. In PM's case, I'm running 3 "pfds" (Which is the PM glass cockpit software) and each pfd window fits on to a particular LCD. PM tech support does not offer "multi monitor" support, but you can do it. It is tricky. Just moving your displays around in the display settings is enough for your upper engine to end up on the captains pfd side, etc. But, if you DO get it working, it's pretty smooth. So, in my video card patchwork (An 8400 GS running cap pfd/nd and fo pfd/nd and a 210 gs running the upper engine) the PM solution works because each LCD has it's own window. In the Sim-A solution, I have a large 3000 something pixel window stretched across 3 lcd's, IE, two video cards, that are different, with different memory timings, different bus speeds, etc. In the world of computers, that's a no no heh. SO... I "believe" that if I get two identical (single gpu) video cards, that SIm-A will run smoothly for me. I have yet to do that, as it's more money I do have to put out, to test a demo. I probably will though.

3. Installation was very simple in both for me. Setup takes tweaking in PM to get everything where you want it, and to "stay" there. For Sim-A it's just one window and the server (in the demo) so setup was much easier.

4. I have not required real support yet from Sim-A. I had a few questions that Peter said shoot his way, and he was able to provide all the pre-purchase questions I had. PM support has been good, I've always got a timely response from Enrico, Thomas or Jonathan. Usually my questions were about trying to resolve things they don't offer support for, IE, multi monitor. But even in that case, they were willing to try, with me. Both softwares get updated over time, and the only bug I've had in PM was resolved once I updated it to a newer version.

Another thing I like about Sim-A is in the server app you can customize the heck out of it. Try the demos of both products and chose which one works for you. Overall I think both softwares are good. They are definitely a good thing to have for the sim community! Check out both, only you can tell you, what works best for you.

Matt
    www.my737sim.com

7. Thanks johnwayne thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by my737sim View Post
    Sim-A has a better flight model. I've used PM for years... and it wasn't until I tried Sim-A's demo the other day did I realize that even simple flight characteristics like, takeoff, were vast more realistic in SimA then in PM. www.my737sim.com
    This reminds me of a question that's been on my mind for a while. How can one tell if one flight model is better than another?

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Just got the price list. If you want "everything" that the software offers it's $1700.00 That's just crazy!

I just downloaded OGS version of 737 and it's FREE!!!! It's pretty nice and has a lot of functions.

150+ Forum Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by nanticokerailroad View Post
    Just got the price list. If you want "everything" that the software offers it's $1700.00 That's just crazy!
    Well, I am still waiting for a price quote after requesting on 9 March and again on 11 March. Is this the famed FDS service??

--
    Bryn

Quote Originally Posted by nanticokerailroad View Post

I just downloaded OGS version of 737 and it's FREE!!!! It's pretty nice and has a lot of functions.
    Peter had mentioned to me that if you buy a lesser version, then you can upgrade for the difference later. IE, you can buy the non FO flavor.. and then later spend only the remainder to get the rest of it. So it gives you some ability to start small and work your way up.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast