Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Seat for a GA Simpit?

Ok. Guys and Gals. I'm looking for the best type of seat to do a few different things.

1 - Resemble that of the Cessna 206 seat.
    2 - Be comfortable for those perhaps longish flights and rocky landings in a amphib aircraft.

Now it would be totally cool to get the actual seat that would come out of a Cessna 206 but I've been looking into to that for some time and can't find one that is say under $700.00us. So I'm thinking of doing the common Simpit substitute? A car or mini van will need to be the donor of my simpit comfort cruise.

I have a few plans but don't know if can bring them in to fruition or not.

Adding sound to the seat for engine vibration and perhaps landing?
    - I had thought of adding a message pad to the seat but that seems kind of gimpy if not connected to the sim some how?
    - Would be nice to have it adjustable so I can move it forward and back not so much up and down but that would be nice. Perhaps a bit to much work though to get that working.

Now I have to say I'm thinking minivan/truck more so then car for a few reasons.
    - The hardware to suspend the seat at a good height is already there (perhaps a seperate purchase though).
    - They are built for the long haul (more rugged/durable).
    - Fairly plentiful so they aren't to expensive (checking a few local wrecker sights they range between $60-$120 for powered ones. A powered seat would be fun but not aircraft prototypical I'm thinking.

The seat need not be in perfect condition (upholstery wise) as I can get a cover for the seat.

What I'm looking for from the group here is there a good choice in the used market place that I should consider above the others.
    - Cost
    - Ease of use
    - Prototype nearness.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Re: Seat for a GA Simpit?

Look at marine seats for boats, usually these seats have some similarities to GA seats!

I'd get working on the MIP first before you start worrying about seats, this is the least of your problem yet!

Good luck, Alex....

By the way simkits sell a decent seat for 298 euros!
    GA or the Highway!

I would definately recommend fitting a tactile tranducer (bass shaker) and amp to the underside of whichever seat you decide upon. There are a few to choose from, I found the buttkicker too expensive and went with aura bass shakers. Add those to the rumbling centre line of the runway and gear up etc and you wont be dissapointed.

And you don't have piles at the end? lol.
    GA or the Highway!

What about this one Ron?

http://www.simkits.com/product.php?prodid=803

Not bad for 298euros - obviously conversion rate and delivery charge may make it more expensive though.

Rhydian
    www.cessnaglasscockpit.blogspot.com

Thanks all.

Alex.
    Yep I know about the MIP thing but I'm hoping to design/build the floor for the cockpit first. For that I need to know how I'm going to attach the seats. Everything else I'm pretty much getting from the drawings and so on. To know how to attach the seats I need to know the seat mechanics and so on. I'm going to put it on a movable frame so I can move it around a bit when needed. I've got some pretty heavy furniture so I feel the pain having to move that so lesson learned..

SteveA.
    I was hoping for that info too. When I looked up Tactile Transducer I found this post - Tactile Transducer Looks pretty easy to do? There is a surplus store in the city that sells tons of speakers... So that's not going to be to much of problem.

Rhydian / Alex.
    That seat looks pretty nice but I'm thinking it would work for an earlier version of the 206. Say an F model. I'm a bit farther ahead in years though. This is the Cessna 206 seat out of an 'H' model. It's much more like a car seat.

298eu = $426cdn not including shipping which could be pretty great I'm thinking (heavy + international) I can get seats from a local wrecker for perhaps $200 or less and get free delivery. From what I've been reading online though I can get a pair of leather seats that are pretty similar. I found this great 'Canadian - Oshawa' site.

Truck and Car Seats + Parts

They will deliver but I can go and bring them back if need be for about 1/2 the delivery cost. I'm thinking though I should be able to find something like what they have locally though.

I don't necessarily want leather but if I have to well.. Of course I can go off the blueprints and pick something that is quite inexpensive that does the job but doesn't look close to the cessna206 seat.. Still an option. I'm hot hard and fast on the authenticity of the seat. Would be nice to be sure but there are many factors not the least of which is finding something close by.

I'm hoping to see what others are using for there seats. I know about the jump seats used in airliners. There have been some really great articles on them. From what I've seen of GA seats they are pretty commonly ex automotive seats. Seems like to be a pretty good resource and I'm sure what ever seat I end up with will be more comfortable then the one I'm in currently...

300+ Forum Addict

Hi, Why not looking for boatseats,
    The seats made for aluminium boats like alumacraft/Lowe/Lund looks just like the Cessna seats.
    Also you have a device that can shift these seats on a rail and lock .
    greetz

The boat seats look a bit like the older Cessna models I've seen. Even the older parts manual I have ('F' model) shows seats very similar to the ones you suggest except that I'm building a newer version of the 206. I'm sure I can get the track the seats sit on for the vehicle at the same time I get the seats. It may come with them but if not then I can get them I'm pretty sure.

I might be jumping ship though kind of. Carenado has come out with a C185 my favorite of the Cessna's. Only problem currently is that it's a fixed gear only version. NO floats (amphib or otherwise) YET??? The Stationair grew out of the Skywagon and so it would be quite cool to climb into that bird. I'm thinking of buying the Skywagon and checking it out (hoping for a amphib version later?). I've put quite a bit of work into the planning of the Stationair and don't want to chuck that just yet though. I do have all the data on the C185 though (out of love the plane) even though there hasn't been a great flight model for FSX until the aforementioned Carenado release. I've heard though that there will be a float version. I just don't what kind of float yet? It's got the horse for amphibious ops (if Carenado so chooses?). If it's only a straight float though could be rough. An amphibious version would be a clear slam dunk for me.

Just day dreaming a bit...

Ah now that's a beauty...

Carenado C185F Skywagon FSX

BTW for those building a C172 but would like to get your feet wet he has released a C172 float version.

Carenado C172N Float

300+ Forum Addict

Hi, I know what you mean
    Even when I `m looking telly , my mind drifts off.
    My wife just looks at me and says: you are in the cockpit again?
    I think its turning into more then a hobby.
    greetz

Here's a seat that is VERY similar to the seats you showed us in your picture....£40 each!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MERCEDES-W210-...#ht_6114wt_732

Good luck!
    GA or the Highway!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast