Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touchscreen

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Touchscreen

What touchscreen should i use if i want to use it for overhead-display so i can push on the screen without using a mouse. I'll also maybe use a touchscreen for the FMC.

Any experience anyone according to this?

75+ Posting Member

Re: Touchscreen

Hi There,
    I cannot speak for the overhead, but I use an 8" touchscreen I bought on eBay as my FMC. For the moment, it works a treat! It's obviously not quite as nice as pushing actual buttons and so on, but I find it more than adequate and far far better than using the mouse/keyboard. I got it from an online shop in Hong Kong called B-Billion. It was a very reasonable price too. You can see some photos of it on my website (link below). As far as the overhead goes, I know the 737 one is HUGE. The Airbus one is about 60cm square. I would think a 19" monitor would be excellent as a touchscreen... Just my opinion though.

Nigel.
    I can't see the light but I think I found the tunnel...
    www.shamrock075.webs.com

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi
    I have just added a Mimo 7" USB Touchscreen Monitor(£150). The great advantage here is that this is a USB only connection.The screen takes its power and video through a single USB connector(a second USB connector is included in case not enough power is reaching the unit via one USB port. It has its own graphics card so this leaves other outputs from your computer graphics card available for monitors etc.
    I use this to display the FMC and find it great to have the FMC always visible during flight.
    The downside for me at the moment is that I have not yet succeeded in calibrating the screen accurately and often get incorrect inputs when using it as a touchscreen (when used via mouseclicks it is 100% accurate)
    However I believe/hope my "touchscreen woes" are as a result of unclear documentation and am awaiting a reply from Mimo support. Hope this is helpful.
    Bill
    Last edited by Holclo; 03-02-2010 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Exra Information
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

4. Thanks dukabr thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Just an update. calibration of Mimo 7"Touchscreen now successful (software hadn't installed properly). Would now rate this unit very highly. Hope this is helpful.
    Bill
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

6. Thanks caKus thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holclo View Post
    Just an update. calibration of Mimo 7"Touchscreen now successful (software hadn't installed properly). Would now rate this unit very highly. Hope this is helpful.
    Bill
    As Bill says the Mimo works very well and only needs a light touch to operate ,I bought it yesterday after seeing these posts and talking to Bill via pm,my problem is and a word of warning to others ,the software messes up my TH2GO digital powerdesk se driver making the software unuseable with an error message : 'Mtx argument exception:invalid display name': at boot up and when trying to access powerdesk se,and any amount of uninstalling/reinstalling either driver doesn't help,only system restore to pre Mimo installation got the th2go software working again.So it's gone back for now and I'm awaiting replies from Matrox and Mimo for any possible solution and if I get a reply I'll post it here,as I would like to be able to use this great little device.

regards Jim

http://www.thefreeemoticons.info/images/flags/smilies0949.gif

150+ Forum Groupie

Those aren't bad prices for add-on touchscreens in those sizes, actually - wonder if there's a UK distributor... a couple of those could upgrade *all* the displays in my MIP to touchscreen. That'd be cool

It's unfortunate that there's a clash between the Mimo and the TH2GO - but given that they're both doing sort-of nonstandard things with the display subsystem, I'm not entirely surprised. I've not found Nanovision to be particularly helpful but the DisplayLink development team are pretty responsive (they signed up here just to post a reply to a thread I started a couple of weeks back, so clearly they keep a close eye on the Web for mentions of DisplayLink tech). You might like try them, Jim - the support forum is here. Glad to hear you that Bill got it working properly in the end; I found calibration to be a bit of a pain.

I have a pair of Mimos awaiting use (one will end up as a radio stack, I'm not 100% sure about the other yet) but it'll be many months before I get around to them, I suspect. I'll keep watching any threads about them with interest.

NH

150+ Forum Groupie

Neil
    Hi again. Touchscreen going well but I need a little design to sort of mount it and support it when my big podgy fingers touch or rather prod the buttons. Have lots of MDF in the garage so will put my thinking cap on .Do you think the Mimo stand in the 720S can be removed?
    Bill
    Bill
    P3D/ IFly737 Pro

150+ Forum Groupie

Should do - it hinges below the USB port and the stand itself is just plastic - no wiring or active bits. It should just come off with a little effort. Hopefully not enough to break it

Haven't tried it yet but I'll be doing the same thing. I might go the whole hog and remove the main casing, depends on how much room I have in my finished enclosure, but the bezel is so small that it doesn't really bother me and the whole thing is so thin it's practically not there at all...

NH

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    Should do - it hinges below the USB port and the stand itself is just plastic - no wiring or active bits. It should just come off with a little effort. Hopefully not enough to break it

Haven't tried it yet but I'll be doing the same thing. I might go the whole hog and remove the main casing, depends on how much room I have in my finished enclosure, but the bezel is so small that it doesn't really bother me and the whole thing is so thin it's practically not there at all...

NH
    I have just wasted another day trying to get this working with the 'help'...... of a local tech company,they did try but thats another £60 down the sink,it is now awaiting collection ,time to move on methinks....I should point out that the device is very good otherwise,when it half worked the touchscreen was very accurate and useable,but the driver needs fixing ,I found that the newer downloaded drivers were worse than the older supplied disc .I've contacted Mimo and Displaylink and if they reply I'll post it here.

regards Jim
    Last edited by jnr641802; 03-05-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: correction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast