150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile Nutty Professor strikes again

Hi Guy , am going to start adding my mad ideas and projects that i am working on here for my cnc machine , so here is the
    1st installment it my attempt at a 4th axis for my current and future machine , as I'm a bit of hoarder over the years and numerous projects started ( not Finished But the thought was there ) i have accumulated a fair ol selection of bits and bobs , so when the latest fad hit me , i had a brainstorm ( more like brain fade but we wont go there ) and thought of connecting one of my stepper motors to a 90 Degree reduction drive gearbox that i bought off ebay for my morion cockpit ( Shoulda gotten 2 LOL ) anyways by mounting this gearbox onto an 18mm MDF base plate and using my CNC router to make the motor mount i came up with This ( Voilą ) not original not new or groundbreaking but just done with bits gathering dust . i have attached the Drawing as a jpeg file for the time being but will add pictures and full PDF file very soon for anyone interested. not bad if i may say so , for a few hours ( i know it shows LOL Work .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Olieman; 03-03-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: never let it be said the guys impatient :-)

2. Thanks Perik, Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Smile Re: Nutty Professor strikes again

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeaflyer View Post
    Hi Guy , am going to start adding my mad ideas and projects that i am working on here for my cnc machine , so here is the
    1st installment it my attempt at a 4th axis for my current and future machine , as I'm a bit of hoarder over the years and numerous projects started ( not Finished But the thought was there ) i have accumulated a fair ol selection of bits and bobs , so when the latest fad hit me , i had a brainstorm ( more like brain fade but we wont go there ) and thought of connecting one of my stepper motors to a 90 Degree reduction drive gearbox that i bought off ebay for my morion cockpit ( Shoulda gotten 2 LOL ) anyways by mounting this gearbox onto an 18mm MDF base plate and using my CNC router to make the motor mount i came up with This ( Voilą ) not original not new or groundbreaking but just done with bits gathering dust . i have attached the Drawing as a jpeg file for the time being but will add pictures and full PDF file very soon for anyone interested. not bad if i may say so , for a few hours ( i know it shows LOL Work .
    OK he's back already just took a pic of my new single axis controller card ( courtesy of Ebay via hong Kong ya gotta luv it.. was there life before ebay ? ) pcb comes built but not yet powered up by moi cost's £12.00 so again not bad value for money and if it proves OK could be a good backup source if my Xylotex card packs up (i forbid that he says tempting fate ) , anyways as you can just about make out the Reduction unit cost at the time £10 ( bargain or what ) and is a 10:1 ratio the base and motor mount are 18mm MDF and a flexi coupler ( which Could be have been a piece of reinforced air line hose and 2 jubilee clips ) along with 2 interchangeable 3 jaw chucks i had .. will post electrical connection and setup info in my next post along with the finally assembled and tested unit ( still have to work out the steps per degree etc and a home switch ) Cheers guys
    Attached Images Attached Images