75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Controlling Instruments on Second Computer

I am trying to get my head around something and figured this fine group could help me with that. I have recently added a second computer to my simpit which is networked to the main computer. I have FSUIPC on the main computer as well as Widefs/Wideclient on the network (registered versions). I have been testdriving some stand alone gauge software (FSXpand, Peix and PM) and am leaning to the Peix package. I find it best suits my needs which are and in all likelihood always be a single engine prop aircraft (currently the 172).

I have built a switch panel as well as a GPS and use a Bodnar board for the inputs for these. I plan to purchase another Bodnar board (or similar) and would use it to provide inputs via rotary encoders to the gauges on the second computer (ex. heading bugs, OBS settings, etc). I just can't get it straight in my head how this will work with FSUIPC and Widefs. Is it as simple as assigning the keystrokes to the encoders in FSUIPC on the main computer and then Widefs communicates this to the second computer and hence controls the gauges? Or is there more to it?

Thanks, Dave
    Dave Kemp
    FS9-BU0836X-GoFlight 166-TH2GO-WideFS-FSUIPC-Opencockpits

Re: Controlling Instruments on Second Computer

Hi,

I opted for PM systems GA IFR gauges which I felt were the best quality. They are run also on a second PC to FS and are networked via Wide FS / FSUIPC.

As FSUIPC is on the FS PC, the Bodnar card would need to be connected to the FS PC also, you could then assign everything directly in FSUIPC. As PM gauges work off the FSUIPC link these would also update on the 2nd PC, so yes the Bodnar card would work fine.

I chose a slightly different route however, I opted for opencockpits master card and coded the rotaries through SIOC. The major advantage for me is that SIOC enables you to accelerate the rotaries so that you don't need to spend forever selecting your heading bug if it needs to be turned through say 180 degrees. The SIOC solution work fantastic and runs on the 2nd PC. The Bodnar card would also work but has limitations in this respect.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

3. Thanks colt45, No Longer Active thanked for this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

The major advantage for me is that SIOC enables you to accelerate the rotaries so that you don't need to spend forever selecting your heading bug if it needs to be turned through say 180 degrees
    Wow, I never knew this, this is a typical problem amongst GA simmers in setting up rotaries to control HDG bugs, I have this problem and never knew that SIOC could speed this up, I f I had the cash I would definitely invest in OC cards, maybe in the future when I build my next sim (who knows what that would be?) I will invest in this.....

Cheers for the heads up info, very useful to know this! Problem solved I'd say!
    GA or the Highway!

75+ Posting Member

Thanks Steve for your input. I started fooling around with the dual rotary encoder on my GPS last night by temporarily reasigning it to control things like the heading bug and OBS. It was straight forward to do this in FSUIPC on the main FS computer. No issues when I rotated the encoder and the gauges on the second computer responded. I think there is an option in FSUIPC that allows the increase or decrease of something like a heading bug to be accelerated. I will have another look later today.

As for PM's GA IFR gauges I have tried a few times to get the demo to work and have not had much success. The gauges do not update very quickly as they lag behind what is happening in the sim and I also found it hard to get the overall panel sized for the screen. I may take one more look at it but it appears I will likely go with the Peix software. Easier on the credit card as well.

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by colt45; 02-24-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
    Dave Kemp

25+ Posting Member

I use a similar set up, with FSX on the master and the Peix software on the secondary pc- plus a Bodnar board attached the the main pc for the rotary inputs. It works very well, and the Peix software responds quickly enough. And a lot cheaper than PM's offering, which I tried but wasn't impressed with.

I do have the same problem described above in relation to the slow speed of the rotaries and would be interested to see a solution to that .

Den

25+ Posting Member

You can use MaxiVista , this software allow you send images to second pc . You can edit you panel with FS Panel Studio and send the panel to second pc.

You can use a OpenCockpits cards to control what you want using IOCP , GA dont need sioc programing.

Or

You can make it using fsuipc macros or "configure direct in fsuipc assignaments".

If you use maxivista , you dont need glass cockpit (Maxivista its around $20,00 or $30,00 the license) and you dont have problem the glass cockpit dont recive de information.
    For GA i dont know why use Glass Cockpit, i prefer use a FS Panel Studio. It allow me to put a reality xp gps or a radar WX or TCAS... a lot of more possibilities!

Sorry for my english

Yes the pm stuff is expensive, but I can't understand why so many sY they don't get along with it? It works fine for me and the quality is great. Not forgetting that they also provide a copy of fsuipc and wide fs so that's not bad value in comparison.

Thanks
    steve
    Quote Originally Posted by den19 View Post
    I use a similar set up, with FSX on the master and the Peix software on the secondary pc- plus a Bodnar board attached the the main pc for the rotary inputs. It works very well, and the Peix software responds quickly enough. And a lot cheaper than PM's offering, which I tried but wasn't impressed with.

I do have the same problem described above in relation to the slow speed of the rotaries and would be interested to see a solution to that .

Den

Maxivista sounds very interesting, thank you, will check this out to solve my gps system problem.

I am using the reality xp gns530 gauge which runs on my fs pc and I display it on a 2nd monitor which prevents me from running full screen mode. Are you saying that I could send the gns530 gauge to my 2nd pc and run fs on my 1st pc in full screen with this software? If so, u solve a very big problem for me for which I am forever grateful.

Thanks
    steve
    Quote Originally Posted by dukabr View Post
    You can use MaxiVista , this software allow you send images to second pc . You can edit you panel with FS Panel Studio and send the panel to second pc.

You can use a OpenCockpits cards to control what you want using IOCP , GA dont need sioc programing.

Or

You can make it using fsuipc macros or "configure direct in fsuipc assignaments".

If you use maxivista , you dont need glass cockpit (Maxivista its around $20,00 or $30,00 the license) and you dont have problem the glass cockpit dont recive de information.
    For GA i dont know why use Glass Cockpit, i prefer use a FS Panel Studio. It allow me to put a reality xp gps or a radar WX or TCAS... a lot of more possibilities!

Sorry for my english

75+ Posting Member

Steve,

I just tried the PM GAIFR demo again and it doesn't work that well for me. The panel size increases and decreases throughout the short period I have the demo running. The gauge updates very sporadically during the session and are not any where near smooth. It is essentially unusable for me at this time. Perhaps these are all limitations of the demo version in which case they don't allow me to evaluate the product very well. I don't think it is a network issue as I am able to use both Peix and FSXpand systems very effectively. I agree that PM's gauges appear the best. As for the added value of FSUIPC and WideFS, I already have purchased registered versions of both.

With regard to your GPS dilemma, here is what I have been able to do. I run it on my main FS computer along with a TH2Go and 3 monitors for my outside views. In order to get my GPS on my 4rth monitor (which is in fact a hacked PSOne screen) I open FS in window mode on one screen. I then turn on my battery and my avionics switches which places the GPS on the screen "overtop" of the FS outside view. Next I undock the GPS which puts in on the on the 4rth monitor. At this point the GPS is too large for the monitor and I can't see it all on the screen. Final step is to use Alt+Enter to go to full screen mode. At this time my outside view goes across all 3 of my monitors attached to the TH2Go and the GPS fits the 4rth monitor perfectly. It took some time playing around with various sizes of the GPS to get it to work.

Cheers, Dave
    Dave Kemp

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1970 View Post
    Maxivista sounds very interesting, thank you, will check this out to solve my gps system problem.

I am using the reality xp gns530 gauge which runs on my fs pc and I display it on a 2nd monitor which prevents me from running full screen mode. Are you saying that I could send the gns530 gauge to my 2nd pc and run fs on my 1st pc in full screen with this software? If so, u solve a very big problem for me for which I am forever grateful.

Thanks
    steve
    Yes!
    I use here, in my project my main panel use 4 monitor (2 of 15'' and 2 of 22'')
    2 monitor are conect to PC1
    2 monitor are conect to PC2

In pc2 i send the eletric panel, fuel gauges, gps, radar wx, ivao software, tcas.. and no problem
    I dont have problem with my fps, i loss 4 or 5 frames...

In their home page you can download trial and tested it!

I love this software, its very helpful!

Sorry for my english.