Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Microsoft sidewinder precision 2 joystick problem!

Hi guys, I have a Microsoft Sidewinder precision 2 joystick which is one of the best joysticks around still today. I am running Xp home on my system and the joystick has worked flawlessly for years. Just yesterday I pulled out the Joystick (USB) and put it back in about an hour later. The joystick is no longer working or recognised by windows? I never had to install any drivers off a disk as windows xp recognises it on its own. Now I try control panel-game controllers-add joystick, then go to microsoft sidewinder (auto detect) and it comes up with....gameport or gamer port driver not properly configured. Please consult your device manager. I look in the device manager-sound video and game controllers and can't see anything out of order and all my usb ports are all working, no ! or ? in there at all. I have tried to update the sidewinder drivers but when i go to install them it says Error crating process . Reason: The system cannot find the file specified. So I am confused at why my joystick just suddenly stops being recognised when windows has the software built in. I have also reinstalled all the onboard sound drivers from the mobo software disk. I used to put the usb in and hear that familiar ding dong sound and the same when you pull out the usb. I don't get that sound anymore when I plug it in. I'll try a friends sidewinder precision 2 tonight and see if that works which will tell me if mine is buggered or not. If his doesn't work can anyone help me in this instance?

Thanks
    Drewsta

Re: Microsoft sidewinder precision 2 joystick problem!

Having the exact same problem, Drewsta...running Windows 7, my Precision2 has been working just fine for months, this morning it's not being recognized, and also don't get the ding-dong when reinserting the USB. Plugged in my old Sidewinder, and it was recognized immediately. I just don't think the P-2 just went faulty overnight.....Any ideas out there?...Cheers, Zenboy

Drewsta, just got back home, booted up my PC, replugged my Precision 2 into a USB port, got the ding-dong, everything's fine. Searched several other Forums, found out that the problem MAY be static elect. buildup on the stick itself.....will keep mine on a desk shelf for now, and see if the problem resolves...Cheers, Zenboy

S'up Zenboy and Drewsta,

I'm having the same issue. Just ouf of the blue my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick just stopped working. Came home from work to play Cliff's of Dover and nothing. Tried unplugging then pluggin in to USB port and no-go. Then plugged in my flash-drive and got the familar ding-dong indicating the USB port is working properly. I've read that given that this joystick has a metal base, static electricity may cause the joy stick to stop working.

Here's my issue with this. I've had this joystick for years, been on same desk and never moved. So how does this happen?

Zenboy, what did you do to resolve this? Or have you?