150+ Forum Groupie
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

3 Monitors - Eyefinity!! Yeah Baby Yeah!!!

Ok Now you will have to trust me - I went ahead, as I do sometimes, and got impulsive. That caused me to procure an ATI5870 and 3 x 23" LCDs. 2 i had but before planning the 5870 I had different ideas - which were not ideal.

Anyway - if anyone is planning or is battling with Eyefinity perhaps this will help - I have been searching for the last month and a half for an ACTIVE Displayport (DP) to DVI adapter. DP to DVI are freely available BUT in passive flavor!!

I was ready to pull my hair out and I read someone used a DP to VGA adaptor. AH all things considered DP to DVI is digital to digital - no conversions required BUT DP to VGA there is a conversion to analogue.

So - I went and purchased a DP to VGA converted, It is major brand stamped (HP) and tested it out.

IT WORKED!!! I battled for a little with drivers but I uninstalled the drivers in W7 64bit and then it appeared that a generic driver was installed. THEN i set up an EXTENDED desktop with ALL 3 23" LCDs using Windows Display Properties. Before, with a standard DP-DVI, it would keep telling me to disable one of my displays - it didn't do that initially and just went blank with the VGA adaptor - hence the removal of the drivers.

Once i had the Extended desktop setup in the windows display properties i then RE-INSTALLED the latest ATI drivers (was 10.1) and rebooted - IT WORKED - it came up with my extended desktop across 3 monitors - then came the proof of the pudding!!

I selected the middle monitor - not sure it matters - right clicked and selected GROUP - it then mentioned t needed to disable the monitors and then group - i continued and lo and behold i am now running Eyefinity with FSX across 3 monitors - 2 x DVI and 1 x DP-VGA.

My monitors are ALL ACER 23" LCDs W233H models which suffice and I cannot see ANY difference in quality between the DVI and VGA.

Why did i go this route? Because I like what i read about the ATI card. I was going to buy a new high-end nVidia card with a TH2Go and then i saw this card which was cheaper than that would have been.

Before i forget - with a setup like this don't forget to edit the FSX.CFG file and search for "Wide" and i think it was WideAspect and set that to TRUE or your single view will be stretched across 3 screens and not centered with side/extended view.

I am CHUFFED!!

I don't see why ANY DP-VGA adapter shouldn't work. However, what i did was confirm with the vendor that I could return the adapter for a FULL refund if it didn't work!!

Keep 'em airborne!

Sean

2. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    150+ Forum Groupie

Re: 3 Monitors - Eyefinity!! Yeah Baby Yeah!!!

for me i bought 2 Acer x233h Monitors as well and made my ATI card think that i had one BIG A** Monitor at 3840x1080 and yeah my 2D Cockpit looked really bad but in the 3D VC it looked REALLY neat. Down fall is the center of the runway was kinda going down the right side of my Left Monitorso for sure i would try doing a 3 monitor setup next time.

150+ Forum Groupie

That is exactly why i went 3 monitors. I had the same problem. In flight wasn't too bad because i didn't really look dead ahead all the time unless landing and taking off. THAT was the issue - taxiing!!! Ah man what a pain!! Always felt wierd and i was weaving like a drunk man LOL

150+ Forum Groupie

FOR SURE FOR SURE thats why i stoped using it. I kept on land kinda sideways lol i was able to find some NICE panels for multi monitors here is the link give it a try. http://www.rvdijk.nl/download.htm