Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Your CNC Machine..

Hey Guys , thought it would be nice ,as we have a new CNC Discussion section, to share pics of our CNC machines , bought or made.. Heres a few of mine, it is a very basic design but works cvery well. The build was kindly shared by this guy.. http://buildyourcnc.com/latest.aspx My machine has been running for about a year now & i have made a few minor improvments over that period but all running good.. Couple of pics of the bits i am using as well enjoy....

P7060295.jpgP7060297.jpgP6220288.jpgP7060296.jpg
    Last edited by Matt Olieman; 03-03-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: thumbnail

25+ Posting Member

Re: Your CNC Machine..

Here are my two CNC machines. One is a CNC router for plastic, wood, the second is a converted harbor freight Mini Mill

Sorry pictures did not attach go to my site and look at my CNC page http://mysite.verizon.net/reso0obo/d...sim/index.html

Last edited by Matt Olieman; 03-03-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: fixed attached images :)

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by ba543 View Post
    Hey Guys , thought it would be nice ,as we have a new CNC Discussion section, to share pics of our CNC machines , bought or made.. Heres a few of mine, it is a very basic design but works cvery well. The build was kindly shared by this guy.. http://buildyourcnc.com/latest.aspx My machine has been running for about a year now & i have made a few minor improvments over that period but all running good.. Couple of pics of the bits i am using as well enjoy....

P7060295.jpgP7060297.jpgP6220288.jpgP7060296.jpg
    Hi

How much more or less one DIY cnc?

Thx

Hi dukabr
    Well my machine cost around $700 Australian , The most expensive part being the stepper motors,driver boards , Power supply. I bought mine as a kit for $500..

300+ Forum Addict

I used a home-made CNC for about 2 years, then upgraded to a faster machine. The DIY machine was slow, so I had lot's of trouble cutting plastic due to the low feed rate. My new machine is from a kit, it'a Fireball V90 from Probotix. Super easy to assemble, fast, accurate, and well-supported. I have just started making PC boards with it. I love CNC, the CAD stuff is intimidating... I attended a seminar at BobCad a few weeks ago and I was very impressed with V23 of the BobCad software. Enough so that I bought it! It has CAD, CAM, and does simulation of the CNC process so you can see your gcode cutting in 3-D! (here's a plug for the BobCad company: The folks have super software and are very easy to deal with, retail prices are cheap compared to other similar products, but call Brad at Bobcad and ask him for a deal.... he might suprise you!)

I am always envious of the skill that some (most) of the builders here display in the work they share with us. Westozy, Brian W, Pjil, Wendy, Mike P. and all the others have awesome skills in fabrication and design. Gwyn and Phil display truly inspiring work in design and production. i have a very capable CNC setup with BobCad, Mach3, EMC, and other stuff.... still I cannot get close to this level. I have considerable skill in electronics and programming, and I know that for me that CNC has become a "partner hobby" to my sim building. I originally justified building a CNC setup to reduce the cost of my sim by building my own panels, throttle, etc... FAT CHANCE! By now I could have bought everything except CDUs and a throttle with the money I have spent on CNC hardware and software! The truth is that I find it rewarding to learn how to operate the machine, design a part, then produce it.

I tend to post longer replies in the threads, but sometimes a short sentence doesn't cut it. (a little CNC joke). My ramblings asaide, CNC is great hobby on its own, and if had as many hours building my sim as I did playing with #%$^&(* CAD software I would have an A320 to be jealous of! As most of the CNC/sim folks here know, CNC Zone is THE online site for CNC buffs. The software I suggest is BobCad, AutoCad, Google Sketchup, Mach3, EMC, the Vectric programs, Eagle PCB, and pcb-gcode. My Fireball V90 is a great machine, and I am proud to own it.

BuddyM

MyCockpit Support Staff

Hi all,
    My machine pic has popped up in a few other threads so I thought I would share it again here in the right place. This machine was built by the head CNC machinist from an Australian company - www.metalstorm.com Metalstorm manufacture precision weopanry for the US and Australian armed forces, it's a great website and worth a quick look!The guy was upgrading to a larger machine and I think I was quite fortunate to pick up this billet machined CNC for under a thousand bucks. It weighs in at 50kg and it is super solid. I do all my machining with a quarter inch router and all the engraving with a Dremel tool. It sure is a joy to operate. Here is a picture of my new lathe aswel!

Regards, Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi Gwyn Just read your tutorial ref cnc panels , gotta say quality work and production as always . I have Vectric CUT2D and have recommended vectric products to all my mates building CNC machines , At the time did not look at Vcarve but will certainly do a check and see if your method can be used with Cut 2D or at least some of the tips . Excellent work .. My hard disc on the CNC machine died a couple of weeks ago ( There's a Moral there about keeping PC's in freezing cold workshops and then asking them to perform LOL either that or it was on its way out anyways ) only just got everything reloaded so should be back in action again soon .. she-s a bit of a Frankenstein Creation at the moment but believe it or not she cuts to drawing size very well ( Phew) so she has been making bits to replace her hand Butchered Bits LOL Cant wait to some of the stuff you guys are doing ... Long winded i know but just to say thanks for another great tutorial
    Last edited by wannabeaflyer; 02-19-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: finger trouble prior to spellchecker download :-)

8. Thanks Westozy thanked for this post

My CNC is just a pile of parts right now. I am building my own and fabricated most of the parts before winter set in. My build thread on CNC Zone can be found here.

Kerbo on YouTube or Twitch
    github.com/wriley

Heli Builder

Quote Originally Posted by wriley View Post
    My CNC is just a pile of parts right now. I am building my own and fabricated most of the parts before winter set in. My build thread on CNC Zone can be found here.
    Nice, it looks like you are building the 'jgro' CNC. I have adapted that design for the X and Z axis in my CNC. I see you are using the pipes for the guides. I used a 20mm mild steel rod. The X axis has too much of a flex. So I will change it to the pipes as well.

Thanks for the including the photos.
    Fritz -> Helicopter Cockpit Builder
    (FSX | TH2Go | Arduino | Air Manager Avionics | CNC)

My partner and me are building a CNC machine from an adaptation of http://buildyourcnc.com/latest.aspx. If someone is thinking build a DIY CNC, I personally recomend this machine. Very soon picture. We are waiting the motors. The electronics is based in www.esteca55.com.ar, and LaGruya from www.todopic.com.ar , two very inteligent guys of my country.
    Do no hesitate to visit this webs
    Regards
    Alberto

12. Thanks wannabeaflyer thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast