25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Three monitors just blows up the image

I just got my system set up with an ATI Eyefinity setup. It works with all of my applications.

But in FSX, the image is just blown up by a factor of three. The dials are like 4 inches tall and the instrument panel spreads across all three screens. So instead of getting more view on the sides, I've actually lost part of the view from the top and the bottom.

Is there a way to deal with this?

Thanks in advance.

Michelle

150+ Forum Groupie

Re: Three monitors just blows up the image

Adjust zoom?

--
    Bryn

300+ Forum Addict autocadplease's Avatar

Has it lowered the resolution?
    Grant D.
    Nelson,B.C. Canada
    Win7 32bit, FSX, PM Boeing, TH2GO, GEX, VoxATC

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by autocadplease View Post
    Has it lowered the resolution?
    I have tried zooming out/in. Yes, the resolution has actually been lowered. The resolution is quite horrible. Xplane seems to work fine.

The only thing that I can think of is to split the windows into three separate undocked windows.... but then my frame rate suffers significantly. The monitors are 1920X1200 pixels each.

Michelle

150+ Forum Groupie

Are you using the 2D cockpit or the 3D cockpit? Have you set the widescreen setting in FS config? (sorry, I can't remember exactly what the setting should be).

As a separate topic, I'd be interested to hear more about your eyefinity setup. Which graphics card are you using, and what types of connectors do you feed your monitors with? If you use Display Port, did you have to buy a rather expensive separate power supply as I have seen posted on some other newsgroups?

--
    Bryn

25+ Posting Member

Bryn,

Let me answer the second paragraph first. I am using two Samsung 25.5" televisions and an HP 25.5" monitor (the HP is the one I use for Photoshop work). The ATI card is a 5850. Two of the monitors use a standard DVI connection and the other uses a standard DVI card with an active DisplayPort to DVI adaptor. Yes, it's the $100.00 job. I do have a passive adaptor but I didn't even try it. I suppose that I should so that I can pass the information along.

Now for the first part of your question. I'm still not sure what the difference is between the 3D and 2D cockpits but I have tried them both with unsatisfactory results. I did not know about the widescreen setting in FS. So, I do not think that I'm using it. I did change the seettings to the appropriate number. As a side, I have created three views, one for each monitor with undocked windows, right, center, and left and I get really nice response and resolution. It isn't all that difficult to line them up vertically.

So... I suppose I need to find out how to set the "widescreen" setting you speak of. I'm also trying to figure out how to get that view out the front windows without seeing the cockpit. I'd like to set up a fourth monitor that I have to display instruments and I'm getting some Go Flight hardware in the next few weeks, so I'd rather just see the scenery out of the big screens. So how do you show the outside view anyway? I can't seem to find the setting in the settings section.

I sure wish that Microsoft used their same standards for their help section as they do for the rest of their software.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,
    If you are using the 2D instrument panel, you can remove the panel by simply right clicking on a portion of it and selecting "Close Window". I use virtual cockpit mode and a program called wideview (found at www.wideview.it). This utilitiy has a secondary function that will allow you to "Remove Virtual Cockpit Parts". I'm pretty sure there is another way to do it without having to use this program, but I think it requires changing parameters back and forth in the .cfg files.

25+ Posting Member

Thanks for the help Airhog.....

We've been discussing this on another thread:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/show...331#post100331

For now, those of us suffering from this problem have a work around. It's not ideal but seems to work. Now that it seems that I've got my hardware and software working, I need to get out to the shop and start cutting some wood to build a flight desk.

Hopefully, ATI will get their driver issue resolved quickly. It's odd that FSX works fine with a less expensive card (I've got an ATI 5670). On that card, the two large monitors have no display problems in any of the FSX cockpit modes..... go figure. But, my flight sim will have a total of five monitors and I've only got two slots on the mother board. So... this eyefinity thing seemed the best approach. And now since I've spent the money on it, I'm going to get it to work, no matter what!

Michelle