MyCockpit Support Staff

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Addicted to CNC!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    Hi Gwynn,

just for curiosity: which program did you draw the Landing panel with and what kind and size of font did you use for the text?
    How about the engraving depth? Do you use a special set up in order to compensate for the thickness irregularities of the material?

Lots of questions. Hope you can shed some light onto it.
    Thanks and best rgds

Peter
    Hi Peter,
    I use VCarvePro for all drawings now and this program also creates the toolpaths to drive Mach3 on the CNC. I don't think I've touched Autocad for a couple of years now, VCarve does it all in one. For best results in engraving, I usually mount a block of PVC on the table then "deck" it with a 20mm endmill ie: plane it flat. This makes the perfectly flat and true platform for mounting the aircraft panel, I stick them on with very thin double sided tape. I usually engrave to a depth of 0.07mm and this is usually enough to cut through the paint. I try not to remove too much plastic. Another good tip - I use mostly 6mm solid white acrylic for my panels rather than two pieces of 3mm and on the back of the panel I machine pocket cuts wherever there is text. This makes the backlighting a lot brighter. The font used is Futura Md BT, I can't remember the size off the top of my head but I will share my VCarve file if you want it, I can also convert it to .dxf if required.

Cheers Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    Hi Peter,
    I use VCarvePro for all drawings now and this program also creates the toolpaths to drive Mach3 on the CNC. I don't think I've touched Autocad for a couple of yea.
    rs now, VCarve does it all in one. For best results in engraving, I usually mount a block of PVC on the table then "deck" it with a 20mm endmill ie: plane it flat. This makes the perfectly flat and true platform for mounting the aircraft panel, I stick them on with very thin double sided tape. I usually engrave to a depth of 0.07mm and this is usually enough to cut through the paint. I try not to remove too much plastic. Another good tip - I use mostly 6mm solid white acrylic for my panels rather than two pieces of 3mm and on the back of the panel I machine pocket cuts wherever there is text. This makes the backlighting a lot brighter. The font used is Futura Md BT, I can't remember the size off the top of my head but I will share my VCarve file if you want it, I can also convert it to .dxf if required.

Cheers Gwyn
    Hi Gwyn,

thanks a lot for prompt reply. Would be great to get your file either in Vcarve format or dxf.
    Pse mail it to: peter dot hein at onlinehome dot de

Thanks and best rgds

Peter
    Last edited by PeterH; 10-17-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typos

300+ Forum Addict

Hi Gwyn,

I'd also like to get the files in VCarvePro from you. Please send me a PM and I'll send my email address...

John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12