25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Question Switches and Buttons

Hi all

I am currently updating my GA simpit from a generic Cessna/Beechcraft cockpit (see photos attached) to a more dedicated cockpit like that of the Cessna Citation Mustang.

I have seen in my travels on the web, builders who have locally purchased toggle switches and buttons from an electronic store, and then have been modified to work in conjunction with (I guess) a circuit board connected to the PC via a USB cable. Could somebody please point me in the right direction on how to build this. I want to make a panel to control such things as lighting and power controls.

Also How do I run my displays controlling my cockpit on one computer and have my FSX and scenery running from another computer. I know I would need a hub or switch but how do they sync in with each other??

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks Matt Olieman thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Re: Switches and Buttons

Hi,

The question on interfacing switches and so forth is fairly common for new builders. This a great place to get help, lot's of talented and helpful folks here.

For interfacing there are several routes you can go, the major players I am familiar with are the Open Cockpits boards, the Bodnar boards, and the FSbus boards. There are others but I have not worked on them. The Open Cockpits are very robust and flexible. They can support all manner of inputs like switches, rotary encoders, and pots. They also support diving 7-segment LED displays, LEDs, and LCD displays. They even have boards for interfacing with stepper motors, etc.

The Bodnar boards are digital USB joystick adapters. The board I have works great. It has tons of inputs for switches, rotary encoders, and pots. No outputs. It is very easy to use.

The FSbus system is a roll-your-own system that is very robust and flexible. Generally you must build each module from scratch. If you have these abilities the system is very good with lot's of options for inputs and outputs.

You can also just buy pre-fabbed modules like radios and such, just generally they aren't widely available for specific aircraft other than the big iron from Boeing and Airbus.

As far as driving glass cockpits there are lots of free and pay options. There are even some generous members here that have written some awesome software and made available for free.

For all of this to work you will need the awesome and well-supported FSUIPC program from Peter Dowson. This program exposes the inner workings of FS to external manipulation.

For getting different systems to talk to each other the first thing to get familiar with is widefs. This [rogram let's networked computers access the data that FSUIPC exposes on a central (main) pc.

For example, PC A running MSFS, the FSUIPC add-on, and wideserver. PC B is running a glass cockpit program like VASFMC and wideclient. PC B can get the info required to update the ND and so forth over the network.

Similar systems can be setup for mutliple external scenery views using programs like wideview. Each PC used for a different external view must a run seperate copy of MSFS and they sync over the network.

I am sure you will get lots of replies on this post, most folks here have way more expertise than I do, so you should be in good hands.

Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by docmeister View Post
    Hi all

I am currently updating my GA simpit from a generic Cessna/Beechcraft cockpit (see photos attached) to a more dedicated cockpit like that of the Cessna Citation Mustang.

I have seen in my travels on the web, builders who have locally purchased toggle switches and buttons from an electronic store, and then have been modified to work in conjunction with (I guess) a circuit board connected to the PC via a USB cable. Could somebody please point me in the right direction on how to build this. I want to make a panel to control such things as lighting and power controls.

Also How do I run my displays controlling my cockpit on one computer and have my FSX and scenery running from another computer. I know I would need a hub or switch but how do they sync in with each other??

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Chris

4. Thanks docmeister thanked for this post
    25+ Posting Member

Thumbs up Re: Switches and Buttons

Buddym

Excelent!!!!!