300+ Forum Addict

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Information about working with plastics

The TAP Plastics website is an excellent source of information about plastics and working with plastics including solid acrylic, mold making materials, casting materials, and epoxies. The site hosts instructional videos, product data sheets, product bulletins, and so on. The presentation level ranges from simple hobby (Let's build a birdhouse...) to professional (MSDSs). A good website entry point is: http://www.tapplastics.com/info/index.php?

2. Thanks jackwall, Hessel Oosten, Westozy, sacad, flatlandpilot, iwik thanked for this post

Re: Information about working with plastics

Mike,

I am toying seriously with the idea of using plastics to renovate the interiortrim panels of the ERJ145 - any ideas on a plastic equivalent of 3mm MDF/Ply 8x4 sheets that can be bent using a heat gun? Making molds for fiberglass is out due to the one off production runs ( unless I satisfy the needs of other budding 145 buikders on the planet!)

I´m looking for something like the heat shrink you use for cabling - heat and bend, and it remembers its shape on cooling.
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net

300+ Forum Addict

Paul,

I believe there are sheet plastic materials used by model makers that are similar to what you're looking for. I haven't used them and don't remember the product names, unfortunately. I also don't know if they would be durable enough for large trim pieces.

A larger scale modelling approach is to sculpt urethane foam then fiber glass over it. In some cases it's possible to do the fiber glass layup in place. The foam is placed where the trim piece is to be installed, cut and sanded to shape slightly undersized, then the fiber glass is applied. Once cured, the fiber glass is trimmed and finished, and the foam is removed. It's a very messy approach, but molds aren't needed. There are special urethane foams made for this. A cheap, more readily available substitute is floral foam, though you'll need to check for compatibility between the resin and foam.

I used Sintra board to build a simple glareshield. I bought a 4 X 8 sheet at a local sign shop. The cut edges did not clean up perfectly but bending the materail around a jig with a heat gun was rather easy.

[IMG][/IMG]

MyCockpit Support Staff

Plain old PVC sheeting becomes very pliable when heated up, really easy to bend!

Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

Thanks,

Mike,Shawn and Glyn - sintra sounds like its worth a try - I also remember reading somewhere of using heavy duty textile over a mould, and coating with resin to achieve a fiber glass like product.

I have had some success making a backlit throttle base using Perspex bent using a heat gun, and will make some new experiments once the weather warms up a bit.

I am specifically trying to improve the quality of the side window surrounds, front upper roof panels (3D curve) as well as replacing the FD inner skin from the MIP back.

I´ll post results as they are obtained.
    Paul

Project ERJ 145
    www.erj145sim.net