Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Cessna 172 Glass Cockpit Simulator

@ Anderson

Thanks.

@ Jordan

Thanks for your comment Jordan, Yes, the old switch panel now lies in a box in my study. I keep it as a momento as it was one of my first projects. It's now...well...switch-less, as I have used them (and more) in my new panel. It was used everytime I used FS as it was so convenient to press the toggles rather than the keyboard for any aircraft I flew in the sim. I plan to make another smaller one maybe with some lighting this time around. With what I have learnt with CAD, laser cutting and acrylic etc. it should be a much nicer, more professional panel. It's funny I reach over to press for FLAPS DOWN now and there is nothing to press! Oh well...

Cheers

Rhydian

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4185[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Generic GA Sim Builder Jordan Farmer's Avatar
    Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom, 1.14701878546E+14, Exeter, Devon

Well, its nice to keep a momento of all the things you have achieved, and i hope to, some day, achieve skills in CAD like that, i am quite the noveice at the moment, and i honestly dont have a clue what im doing when the program is in front of me, and im rubbish when it comes to listening to tutorials, i like to ask questions Where did you start? Anyway, very good luck on your project, its looking bloody brilliant so far!

Cheers,

Jordan

Sorry, i forgot to ask, where did you get those fan outlets? they look great, i may have to find some myself!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Jordan....

Those fan outlets are called 'Eyeball Vents' Google them, real aircraft vents are around £50.00 a pair, those plastic vents which are pretty much genereic cost £5 - 10 a pair!

Here are some in white:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MUSHROOM-V...M#ht_746wt_831

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mazda-MX5-MK1-...#ht_720wt_1057

Google it!
    Last edited by CessnaGuy; 08-22-2010 at 03:54 AM.
    GA or the Highway!

1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Edit, the fans that Rydian has cost £14 each, I can get the exact same vents as what Rhydian has!
    GA or the Highway!

Quote Originally Posted by devonpilot View Post
    Well, its nice to keep a momento of all the things you have achieved, and i hope to, some day, achieve skills in CAD like that, i am quite the noveice at the moment, and i honestly dont have a clue what im doing when the program is in front of me, and im rubbish when it comes to listening to tutorials, i like to ask questions Where did you start? Anyway, very good luck on your project, its looking bloody brilliant so far!

Cheers,

Jordan

Sorry, i forgot to ask, where did you get those fan outlets? they look great, i may have to find some myself!
    Hi Jordan,

I got mine from Airworld UK Aircraft parts and spares.

http://shop.airworlduk.com/plastic-e...389-1009-p.asp

Comes to £16.88 without VAT and delivery.

They are a bit small for one of my projects, I am really looking for bigger ones but they can be expensive.

I use Qcad Pro for my CAD work. It's fine for the sort of panels I'm doing. It's nowhere near as sophisticated as AutoCad but it does the job nicely. I bought a deal which had the program for £20 and the book to go with it for another £20. You can use a demo as well to try it out.

http://www.qcad.org/

Cheers

Rhydian

I've some progress on the case that will hold both my panels. Next step is to coat it with MDF primer and white paint and then use a sheet metal folding machine to make the 1mm aluminium skin that will cover it.

Cheers

Rhydian

Generic GA Sim Builder Jordan Farmer's Avatar
    Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom, 1.14701878546E+14, Exeter, Devon

Well, ive been following your work, and im still impressed! Your very lucky to have all those resources at hand! Hopefully soon i will have the time and money to invest in CAD software and the actual machining of some panels, its just tough to justify the cash when im on such little money! Good luck though, and great work!
    Jordan

Thanks Jordan.

You can start learning a bit of CAD for free. QCAD do a demo of their software that is completely free albeit a few save functions. That's how I started. Once you have mastered it, the software only costs about £20 for the full product. It's surprisingly easy to master. I mean OK it's not AutoCAD, but it's great for 2d panel design. Once you get the basic principles in your head, it becomes really easy. I found myself staring at manufacturers schematics of switches not having a clue how to interpret them. However, once you realise that it all follows a specific format it becomes very easy to incorporate the dimensions into your CAD drawings.

I used Sketchup and Kerkythea (a rendering engine) to make the design in 3d. Both programs are free and extremely easy to use. Sketchup is a great way to realise your project in 3 dimensions. It also can be a generally helpful design tool. I caught a number of problems with my build using the program. Now I see why Boeing and Airbus use the computer to design their aircraft, it certainly saves time and money, especially when spotting mistakes!

You may be surprised to hear that some routing and laser cutting services will cut out your project for a very reduced cost, or even better for free, as they know it's just a one off project rather than a company making a run of a product. It's surprising how much support you receive as well. The people I have dealt with from the various companies I have used are themselves quite intrigued about making a flight simulator. They have all asked to see finished photos of the project.

Cheers

Rhydian

IMAG0075small.jpg
    IMAG0068small.jpg
    IMAG0074small.jpg

I have started to wrap the MDF case with 1.2mm sheet aluminium. Once the pieces are positioned I need to drill some holes for the 3mm machine screws that will bolt the metal skin to the case and then take the pieces to a company to get powder coat painted in white. I have created 2 more pieces in CAD that will routed out of the same aluminium for the back and front. This is the hard part for me as I have never done this sort of thing before. But it seems to be shaping up well... oh!... There you are I've jinxed it!

Rhydian

10+ Posting Member

Please, or please!! This glass cockpit deserves the best glass software! Check out http://www.flythissim.com The make avionics and instruments for flight simulators. Bezel or no-bezel options, so you can use your own real hardware. The video of the G1000 Carvan looks great.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast