Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Master/Slave System

Scenerio:
    4 seperate pcs with independent monitors (same software/hardware) all connected to LAN for a group to fly together (in house)

Question1:
    How to control each pc seperately and remotely from a 5th location for such things as resets, reloading, changing weather or for say "Air Traffic Control" use. Synergy and Multiplicity are close ideas, but not quite what I'm looking for. Any suggestions???

Question 2:
    Suppose simmers 1 and 2 are on fsx or xplane and simmers 3 and 4 are linked together on a seperate and different game. I need to control each seperately as in the first question. What kind of master/slave system can you think of that will do this?

Prefer Linux operating system, but any master/slave system will do for now...

Re: Master/Slave System

I'm not sure that i have understand what you want to do, or what you mean. Just to control 4 seperate PCs from another 5th?

You can try VNC, this is a s/w like RemoteDesktop, to control very fast all the 4 PCs.

What are you planning with these 4 pcs, multiplayer flights?

Eddie
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

Multi-player flights - yes. We have a group of individuals who come to a clubhouse who enjoy multi-player flights linked together via LAN. We thought it would be cool to have a 5th location for an " Air Traffic Controller" who could give vectors, clearances, etc., and also to reset the sim (quickly) for one pc if he/she accidently crashed. The second question was referring to one group playing general aviation, while the other group was playing something different like air combat. Could we still have this option from a 5th location to control each pc accordingly?

VNC looks like synergy and multiplicity, but wasn't sure if they could work in this setup, hence the questions. I ask because we are talking about adding a small monitor (for each pc, if needed) to put at the 5th location so the ATController can observe what each pc is doing. So in theory, the 5th location would have 4 monitors while each other pc would have it's own monitor for the simmers to use. Clear as mud???

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    Multi-player flights - yes. We have a group of individuals who come to a clubhouse who enjoy multi-player flights linked together via LAN. We thought it would be cool to have a 5th location for an " Air Traffic Controller" who could give vectors, clearances, etc., and also to reset the sim (quickly) for one pc if he/she accidently crashed. The second question was referring to one group playing general aviation, while the other group was playing something different like air combat. Could we still have this option from a 5th location to control each pc accordingly?
    Cool !!!! Very nice idea, i love these friend's meetings !! Btw why you don't try to make these flights online in special organized networks like Vatsim or Ivao ? There you can find more than 4 aircrafts online (more than 1000 oline worldwide) with online controllers giving you vectrors, etc and realistic enviroment.
    Another solution, i never tryed but if i'm not wrong exists, is a custom private network via Fsinn.
    Just my 2euro-cents!

VNC looks like synergy and multiplicity, but wasn't sure if they could work in this setup, hence the questions. I ask because we are talking about adding a small monitor (for each pc, if needed) to put at the 5th location so the ATController can observe what each pc is doing. So in theory, the 5th location would have 4 monitors while each other pc would have it's own monitor for the simmers to use. Clear as mud???
    VNC is not like Synergy.
    Synergy is a s/w KVM switch, which can control via 1mouse/keyboard all these pcs. VNC is a remote desktop sw, which can control all the other PCs without have optical contact with them, but remotely.

The 5th pc, as i can see, has to do many things, of course 4 extra monitors is an option, but expensive one.
    If this is the point, add these 4 extra monitors as clone to each PC's VGA and with a long vga cable, place them to 5th PC's location.

regards

Eddie
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

so in your opinion, VNC is the best option for this? Thanks for your help.

so in your opinion, VNC is the best option for this? Thanks for your help.
    VNC is a good, free and "light" solution for remote desktop inside the same network
    VNC is a remote desktop, like Window's Remote Desktop, but better because leaves the remote desktop & login user active. So even you control the remote desktop, the other remote user, can see also his monitor and what are you doing. I use VNC to make changes, or initial setup my cockpit's monitors. Because my monitors are established behind the MIP it's not easy to work there. VNC is the best solution for this.

Another very good solution for really remote desktop, when you aren't in the same network and both sides have internet, is the www.logmein.com
    With Free version you can control remotely and as fast it can, ANY remote pc from ANY place in the world via a simple internet explorer.
    Do you want to control your home pc from the job or via versa? Try it, is free.

Enjoy them!!
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

I appreciate your help. Is it possible using VNC to display the other computers on one monitor at the 5th location by sizing or resizing the windows? This would keep the cost down and help declutter the area.

Yes it is. You can have all 4 remote displays as 4 different windows in the 5th monitor

Eddie
    Eddie Armaos
    Athens-Greece

[

Thank you very much. You've been very helpful.