Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    25+ Posting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada NL
    Posts
    56
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    I have the new computor FSX and the Saitek controls. I now need a good card or two, and monitors probably three.

    If the 3D with flightsim is good I would purchase the 120 hz monitors and the Nvidia 3d vision surround system. If it
    is as good as they claim of course. Anyone running 3D using Nvidia and is it worth the money ?

    Options as I see it right now are:

    1) Matrox TH2Go with 3 standard monitors. Cons are lower res and lack of support for new windows and cards

    2)ATI Eyefinity with 3 standard monitors . Pros- can run high res, cheaper than Nvidia 3D and 120 hz monitors. Con: not 3D ?

    3)Nvidia 3D vision surround with 3 24" 120hz monitors. Pros: 3D (is it worth the $$$) Cons: 24" Monitors not available in North America,expensive, not field tested yet.

    3)One large monitor or TV using TrackIr 5. Pros-one card, one monitor,cheaper, can use 3D with the right display Cons: not as good as surround (questionable?)

    Edit... one more option # 4

    4)Replace my LCD cinema projector with a 3D model and use it for flight sim. Only one screen but 8ft so really big. Probably not an option though as this is a new
    projector and the wife/missus would not be happy. Although, then I could watch 3D movies too . Hmmmmmmm?

    Any experience or thoughts appreciated. l

  2. #2
    500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    EGNT
    Posts
    713
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
    Any experience or thoughts appreciated.
    I have limited experience with option 1 (Matrox TH2G and 3 projectors) as I set this up last weekend for the 1st time, on a large curved screen made with 3 Asda (Walmart) King size bedding sheets! If you are considering this option, then I assume you have the space.

    The visual effect really has to be seen to be believed. Lower resolution may be a con, but IMO, this far outweighs seeing multiple monitors in front of you. What's the point of pin-point high-res displays, spoilt by unsightly monitor bezels?

    Sean

  3. #3
    300+ Forum Addict Steve A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Paphos Cyprus
    Posts
    370
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    I have to agree with Sean, I would never go back to a single monitor after getting only a dualhead2go because of space constraints, If you have the space and the cash choose 3 displays.

  4. #4
    25+ Posting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada NL
    Posts
    56
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nixon View Post
    I have limited experience with option 1 (Matrox TH2G and 3 projectors) as I set this up last weekend for the 1st time, on a large curved screen made with 3 Asda (Walmart) King size bedding sheets! If you are considering this option, then I assume you have the space.

    The visual effect really has to be seen to be believed. Lower resolution may be a con, but IMO, this far outweighs seeing multiple monitors in front of you. What's the point of pin-point high-res displays, spoilt by unsightly monitor bezels?

    Sean
    I agree, the bezels are annoying but I don't have the space for that. I already have a dedicated ceiling mounted LCD projector and 8 foot screen for cinema . In the same room I have the corner computer space only that can fit 3 24"
    screens only. Well, I was thinking about replacing the projector with a 3D model which could be option #4. I do think though
    that 3 screens is better with trackir and maybe 3D .

  5. #5
    500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    EGNT
    Posts
    713
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    Sorry, I mis-read your initial post, regarding 3D. I wasn't aware you could get 3D!

    I would love to see that in action.

  6. #6
    25+ Posting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada NL
    Posts
    56
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Nixon View Post
    Sorry, I mis-read your initial post, regarding 3D. I wasn't aware you could get 3D!

    I would love to see that in action.
    Yea Nvidia just announced support for their 3d vision surround which is true 3D surround for 3 monitors. Well not just LCD monitors, they are supporting TV and projectors as long as they are 120HZ . Normal 60HZ will not work . A friend of mine
    was using the 3D system for a while but had to stop using it because he was getting motion sickness. Must be very realistic
    if that is the case. Very expensive though because of the two high end cards and 3 120HZ monitors that are required.

  7. #7
    25+ Posting Member Airhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Signal Mountain, TN USA
    Posts
    53
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    I hope this isn't too late for you, but this month I sold my 3 projectors and TH2Go for a single Viewsonic 3D ready projector. This was mainly due to the announcement of Nvidia releasing the 3D Vision Surround which will eliminate the need for the TH2Go when using up to 3 displays. I've discovered that in FSX the 3D itself on a single screen is very immersive and honestly quite astonishing, but there is an issue with the 2D objects (sun, stars, and basically any light, like runway, taxi, and street lights.) Landing at night is a real disappointment in that you basically cannot tell how you're aligned to the runway, but I would be willing to remove the lighting effects altogether if possible to keep the 3D effect.

    The TH2Go and Eyefinity will not support multi-display in 3D. The TH2Go cannot achieve the required 120hz refresh rate, so if it's 3D you want, I would go with the 3D Vision and then update to the surround drivers when they come out. I read an article at Tom's Hardware that compatible GPU's are not yet released, but that many current models of Nvidia cards will support the surround once the drivers are available, but you will need 2 cards running in SLI mode. (I'm guessing late 8000 models and above).

    There is a new 23" 3D monitor available from Dell. IMO, for the price, 3 22" monitors in 3D surround would not be a bad result and the 1 large display you mentioned with a TrackIR isn't a bad idea either, but I'm not a huge fan of the TrackIR. It works great once you have it set up, but I'm learning that the more I have to "set up" the less I get to fly. It's just too messy, but when you're on a budget it's a great alternative.

    My choice would be a single large display (DLP TV or Projector both 120hz 3D ready) or 3 22" 3D LCD's with the 3D Vision Surround. You'll have much better clarity and field of view with the LCD's, but more realistic "size" of your world with the single display.

    Sorry I can't answer this more definatively, but it really all comes down to personal preference and budget.

  8. Thanks IanH1960, sacad, roxiedog13 thanked for this post
  9. #8
    25+ Posting Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Canada NL
    Posts
    56
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Airhogg View Post
    I hope this isn't too late for you, but this month I sold my 3 projectors and TH2Go for a single Viewsonic 3D ready projector. This was mainly due to the announcement of Nvidia releasing the 3D Vision Surround which will eliminate the need for the TH2Go when using up to 3 displays. I've discovered that in FSX the 3D itself on a single screen is very immersive and honestly quite astonishing, but there is an issue with the 2D objects (sun, stars, and basically any light, like runway, taxi, and street lights.) Landing at night is a real disappointment in that you basically cannot tell how you're aligned to the runway, but I would be willing to remove the lighting effects altogether if possible to keep the 3D effect.


    The TH2Go and Eyefinity will not support multi-display in 3D. The TH2Go cannot achieve the required 120hz refresh rate, so if it's 3D you want, I would go with the 3D Vision and then update to the surround drivers when they come out. I read an article at Tom's Hardware that compatible GPU's are not yet released, but that many current models of Nvidia cards will support the surround once the drivers are available, but you will need 2 cards running in SLI mode. (I'm guessing late 8000 models and above).

    Their is a new 23" 3D monitor available from Dell. IMO, for the price, 3 22" monitors in 3D surround would not be a bad result and the 1 large display you mentioned with a TrackIR isn't a bad idea either, but I'm not a huge fan of the TrackIR. It works great once you have it set up, but I'm learning that the more I have to "set up" the less I get to fly. It's just too messy, but when you're on a budget it's a great alternative.

    My choice would be a single large display (DLP TV or Projector both 120hz 3D ready) or 3 22" 3D LCD's with the 3D Vision Surround. You'll have much better clarity and field of view with the LCD's, but more realistic "size" of your world with the single display.

    Sorry I can't answer this more definatively, but it really all comes down to personal preference and budget.
    Thanks for the input and sorry for the late reply. I will probably go with a single monitor now as my needs have changed. I have recently purchased a 172 on floats so the budget is cut back quite a bit.
    I think I will wait until the 24" monitors are available and then start out with one. If I like it enough I
    would then get two more including the necessary hardware to run in 3D.

  10. #9
    500+ This must be a daytime job



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Juneau, AK
    Posts
    619
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    If you have anything less than full surround with full instrumentation, Trackir should be on the priority list. Flying is so much more immersive and fun when you "look" around vs using the keyboard/hat switch.
    http://juneaucessnasim.blogspot.com
    N58243 (virtual)- Low and Slow...

  11. #10
    25+ Posting Member Airhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Signal Mountain, TN USA
    Posts
    53
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Re: FSX in 3D is it any good? # monitors ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Mongo View Post
    If you have anything less than full surround with full instrumentation, Trackir should be on the priority list. Flying is so much more immersive and fun when you "look" around vs using the keyboard/hat switch.
    ...unless you end up using 3D. 3D isn't designed to move your head around alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 3d glasses are they as good as multiple monitors?
    By roxiedog13 in forum General Builder Questions All Aircraft Types
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
  2. Good Day All
    By DarylL in forum Welcome to MyCockpit New here? Introduce Yourself!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
  3. good day
    By 747sim in forum Welcome to MyCockpit New here? Introduce Yourself!
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
  4. Old but still good
    By zenandzen in forum Pilots Lounge - Let your Hair down
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
  5. Is FSX any good???
    By Simran737 in forum General Builder Questions All Aircraft Types
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 11:15 PM