Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: New products coming soon

Hi Gwyn,
    about opal acrylic, there are different "species" of that,
    the amount of light that can travel thru differs between 8-82%
    the only reference I have is 5 mm. thick, 60% translucent opal.

My question: that amount light that can travel thru is that "standerized" for a fixed thickness,
    or has a 10 mm. thick sheet less white in it than a 5 mm. sheet of the same translucent grade ?

What kind of "translucentness" do you find working the best regarding througputt/evenly spread of the light. ?
    and which thickness you're using. ?
    When once you have tasted flight,
    you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by flatlandpilot View Post
    Hi Gwyn,
    about opal acrylic, there are different "species" of that,
    the amount of light that can travel thru differs between 8-82%
    the only reference I have is 5 mm. thick, 60% translucent opal.

My question: that amount light that can travel thru is that "standerized" for a fixed thickness,
    or has a 10 mm. thick sheet less white in it than a 5 mm. sheet of the same translucent grade ?

What kind of "translucentness" do you find working the best regarding througputt/evenly spread of the light. ?
    and which thickness you're using. ?
    Hi there, it's a little too early for me to advise on the acryilc as I haven't yet done the engraving. When I ordered the plastic from Superline.com, I told the salesman what I wanted to do with it and he recommended the 4.5mm. I've just painted an Autobrake panel and I'm going to engrave it tomorrow, I'll post pics of the results when it's done!

Cheers Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go
    http://www.aerosimsolutions.com.au
    Supporter of MyCockpit.org, please join me in donating!!!

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Gwyn

I know this is FOREVER old. Is the opal acrylic typically opaque or somewhat translucent OR can light simply get through ok? Another question - when cutting your panels what end mill do you use? 3mm etc and how many flutes do you recon works best for you?

Thanks in advance.

Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by Westozy View Post
    I had a busy morning at the CNC machine with my lovely lady helping out today, we finished cutting out two sets of B737 MIP Sub panels. One set is for Wes and one set is to upgrade my own sim, I'm really pleased with the results and the panels should look great when painted and engraved.

Gwyn

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi folks
    just like to come in here with some experience of my results for backlit panels.
    I tried the OPAL acrylic but when you engrave through the paint the result is grey letters. It's OK when the backlight is on though. I took advice from others on cockpit websites and ended up making a 3mm white acrylic front lightplate, sprayed with matt acrylic paint( household emulsion in the UK) then clear matt laquer over that to give it a harder surface. When engraved gives nice white letters. I glue this 3mm lightplate to a clear 5mm "support" plate then pcb behind to hold the resistors and leds.

Attachment 7433
    3mm opal acrylic not backlit dull grey letters

Attachment 7434
    3mm white acrylic not backlit clear white letters
    I use the 3mm leds for backlit but have to dim them as even through 3mm white acrylic they are too bright.

ignore colour differences of paint, it's difficult to get a true colour representation with fluorescent lights
    regards
    geoff

regards
    geoff

150+ Forum Groupie

Hey Geoff

At the risk of buying a pile of white acrylic and not getting any light through - is it plain and simple white opaque acrylic or does it have some % of light transference or translucence?

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesthesoftware View Post
    Hi folks
    just like to come in here with some experience of my results for backlit panels.
    I tried the OPAL acrylic but when you engrave through the paint the result is grey letters. It's OK when the backlight is on though. I took advice from others on cockpit websites and ended up making a 3mm white acrylic front lightplate, sprayed with matt acrylic paint( household emulsion in the UK) then clear matt laquer over that to give it a harder surface. When engraved gives nice white letters. I glue this 3mm lightplate to a clear 5mm "support" plate then pcb behind to hold the resistors and leds.

Attachment 7433
    3mm opal acrylic not backlit dull grey letters

Attachment 7434
    3mm white acrylic not backlit clear white letters
    I use the 3mm leds for backlit but have to dim them as even through 3mm white acrylic they are too bright.

ignore colour differences of paint, it's difficult to get a true colour representation with fluorescent lights
    regards
    geoff

regards
    geoff

150+ Forum Groupie

Hi
    It's just 3mm white acrylic(Perspex) you could buy just as small piece and try it first it's quite cheap
    regards
    geoff

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks Geoff. I try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesthesoftware View Post
    HiIt's just 3mm white acrylic(Perspex) you could buy just as small piece and try it first it's quite cheapregards geoff

MyCockpit Support Staff

I agree with Geoff, I think I was mislead by the plastic supplier. The opal acryilc looks great in the dark but is rather dull in daylight. I have been using the 3mm white acrylic for quite a while now and usually make a backing panel to support the switches in 3mm clear.
    I've just fitted my CNC with a Geckodrive and that has halved the engraving time for making panels, awesome controller!
    Cheers Gwyn

737NG using Prosim737, Immersive Calibration Pro, Aerosim Solutions motorized TQ & cockpit hardware, CP Flight MCP & FDS SYS1X, SYS2X & SYS4X, FDS PRO FMCs, AFDS units & Glarewings, Matrix Orbital ELEC display, Pokeys Landing & Cruise alt display, Buttkicker Gamers, 3 x BenqMW811ST projectors with a Matrox Th2Go

150+ Forum Groupie

Thanks for that response Gwyn. DId you use 3mm end mills with 2 or 3 flutes? I guess i could "trial and error" it to some extent but i'd like the best finish on the edges off the bat

MyCockpit Support Staff

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    Thanks for that response Gwyn. DId you use 3mm end mills with 2 or 3 flutes? I guess i could "trial and error" it to some extent but i'd like the best finish on the edges off the bat
    I use two flute 3.25mm (1/8") cutters for 3mm acrylic. One pass at 200mm/min 8000rpm. This works ok and doesn't blunt the cutters two quickly.

These are the ones I buy - 10Pcs Carbide End Mill Endmill Engraving Bits 3.3mm for CNC/PCB Milling Machine | eBay

Cheers Gwyn
    Last edited by Westozy; 01-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast