Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Your advise please

I've been collecting and buying hardware for quite a while now but I think its time to step up. I have the Engravity CDU, CPFlight MCP, EFIS, NAV, COM, XPDR, Saitek Yoke, Pedals and 2 ea Throttles and some GF P8 and T8's. The steering Tiller is homemade. Im running it in a "Desktop" setup now, but I managed to get a set of real seats and this gave me motivation to think about it again. So what I thought about was:

Build the support structure and buy the Simulatory MIP Panels (I know they are plastic, but I can't afford the Engravity or FDS ones) with the Hardware and interface it with Phidgets and/or Leo Bodnar stuff.

The question is: which Aircraft to use. I would love to fly the PMDG but their NG is only for FS9 if I'm correct.
    PM would be the top but, ... I guess you know.
    What about Flight deck software or Sim avionics, anybody have some experience? Or is there something else to use which I missed? The default 737 would be more or less ok its just the LNAV and VNAV and the missing FMS I don't like.

Just point the direction please.

Thanks Simon

300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!

Re: Your advise please

Hi there,

I am building a 737, I ditched the Symulatory MIP in favor of one made from MDF because of having to join the three sections. I am however using the panels and hardware that came with the Panel.

I will be going to FlightDeckSoftware because of it's compatibility with the CPflight MIP board. Severasl functions are not yet supported but they are being worked on.

The FDS Dual Suite costs 299 euro + 30 euro for the CP flight module. For the systems logic I will be using Marty Bochane's ProSim systemsoftware it's free for non commercial use and in my opinion the best system software that's out there at the moment, including the commercial offerings!!

3. Thanks mascot thanked for this post

FDS is ok. Not everything is implemented yet but chances are that their development goes faster than your sim build. The advantage is that it is completely 'open'. PMDG doesn't disclose all their offsets so you need expensive hardware (what you do have already) with their drivers. I don't know about PM about the offsets but I do know that the complete suite costs 4x that of FDS.
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

5. Thanks mascot thanked for this post
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level maurizio55's Avatar

My two cents:
    PM is the first and older system out there, maybe best known and tested... but the cost is somewhat ridicolous : 1200 Euros for Captain +FO suite !
    FDS seems interesting at first sight , but I honestly don't understand the "core idea" that support the whole system, not to saying about the "try and see" method of setting instrument views on the display. (and it still doesn't include stand-by instruments, even if planned to in future)
    Sim-avionics seems to me a good compromise.
    Looking now to evaluate FSXpand by Cockpitsolutions.com .
    Ciao.
    Maurizio

7. Thanks mascot thanked for this post

Thanks for your replies so far

I think from what I've seen the Sim Avionics suite will be the best for me. I will start with the steering unit and the yokes first, and I guess it will take some time to finish. After this I plan to build the MIP.

Simon

Just have to add a comment.
    I have the FDS suite and there is still some work that have to be done but updates are coming and the support is great.
    About the standby instruments there are now two of them included. Personally I don't miss the standby horizon...
    CORE is the modul with overhead logics and port some of the hardware. i.e. CPFlight hardware have to use CORE to be able to interact. All hardware set up with SIOC can communicate from whatever PC in the network.

I'll stick with FDS. Since last post in this thread S-A has also played themselves out of my game with the silly pricejump.

300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!

Hows your progress going?

Since my above post I have decided that Flightdecksoftware might not be the way to go. After playing with Sim Avionics I was pretty sold on their suite but the fusion with Flight Deck Solutions and the massive price hike has caused that option to be scratched.

I like what I have seen from Flight Deck Software but I am not placing any bets yet, It seems that a few designers here and there are popping up with new products that look like they might evolve into full suites.

Have you started working on any of your support structures yet?

Quote Originally Posted by maurizio55 View Post
    My two cents:
    PM is the first and older system out there, maybe best known and tested... but the cost is somewhat ridicolous : 1200 Euros for Captain +FO suite !
    FDS seems interesting at first sight , but I honestly don't understand the "core idea" that support the whole system, not to saying about the "try and see" method of setting instrument views on the display. (and it still doesn't include stand-by instruments, even if planned to in future)
    Sim-avionics seems to me a good compromise.
    Looking now to evaluate FSXpand by Cockpitsolutions.com .
    Ciao.
    Maurizio
    I use FSXpand for standy-by instruments and the PFD of my T-38 cockpit. I was able to modify the gauges to sort of meet the look and feel of the real ones in the T-38C. If you are using them for a Boeing 700's series it is a very good inexpensive program that works well. Gert doesn't have the entire suite of functions working, but for the money it is a darn good value. He plans on eventually getting everything working. I found it well worth the $50-60 bucks I spent.
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

Thank you for all your opinions.
    I've been watching the progress of FDS for some time now and its really impressing whats going on there.
    So far I think I stick to Flight deck software and OC cards.

So what would you suggest in terms of the PC network. What are the minimum specs for a PC just to display one thing (PFD ND, FMC Screen, Eicas) I could probably buy 8 PCs from a company closed to me. They are simple Desktops with 1GB of Ram. But it will be cheaper than 4 new ones with 2Video outs each...

Greetz Simon

Hi Simon
    I have tested with different computers and found some minimum reqs: P4, 2,6GHz, PCI-E (AGP won't do the trick), 1 gig RAM. PCs like this is found in recyclecontainers at businesses. I have only bought old PCI-E graphicscards for them, and they are cheap to.
    For my setup I need 5 PCs. One "super PC" for FSX and 4 of the mentioned above for system.
    I have made a drawing of how my setup is today at the FDS forum.

14. Thanks mascot thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast