Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round bottom

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Round bottom

Since I like curvy shapes, I was wondering how to make the bottom of a 737 pedestal out of MDF. If you look at the pedestals on the market, they either cost over € 600 or have a fake bottom which only consists of quarter round edges of the front and back panel.

I don't think my solution is unique or rocket science but because I couldn't find it documented, I thought I would share the idea. Total cost of the pedestal: around € 35 in material and 1 day of elbow grease. We took the measurements from Markus Pilot but corrected that for the width of my OC radio's: 145mm wide.

1. Make little edges, just deep enough to enclose a piece of bendable plywood (don't know the proper English word but here it's called buigtriplex)

2. Place the plywood in one of the edges

3. Bend the plywood so it clicks into the opposite edge

4. Ready. You don't have to glue or screw because the plywood springs into the openings.

Important tip: first stick in the plywood and later saw the quarter round edges. It depends on the exact size of the plywood how it wil curve. A millimeter difference gives a different curve. We took it apart to make the photo's after we had done that.

Some more details, apart from the bottom.

5. Notice the back panel being 8mm higher than the front panel. That is because it has to line up with the upper side of the instruments, otherwise dust will collect in the opening between the instruments and the metal strip that goes on later.

6. We used a 15 mm wide T-shaped aluminium as frame for the instruments. It hangs in a piece of wood. 20mm would be ideal but our local hardware store didn't have that.

Result before painting. We'll have to finalise the metal strip of cause. And yes, we also haven't got the seats yet
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

2. Thanks Geremy Britton, Matt Olieman, Joe Cygan, capetonian thanked for this post
    10+ Posting Member

Re: Round bottom

Well done, so sometimes there is a cheap solution that actually is just as good as the expensive problem.

Mr. B
    Last edited by Mister-B; 12-29-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Hi...

Superb workmanship. I know the plywood you mean, I dont know the Greek for it either and i've had some strange looks trying to get some at the woodyard. I like the metal trim around the top, Your sim is shaping up fast now. I think i'll be starting a full size pedestal as soon as i sort my visuals, and i'll use your great ideas if its ok

300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!

Damn , that looks great. Really really great!!

Do you perhaps have a sketch with your exact measurements? I am planning to use OC radios too so this is perfect!! If you havs a sketch I can get the wood cut at the local houtboer

Did you get your strip of 'T' from the Gamma or elsewhere? I was thinking the same idea, Gamma has 'L' and 'T' shapes, so 'L' on the sides and two 'T's in the middle.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Super Moderator

Thumbs up Re: Round bottom

Nicely done and looks great!

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Nice work, thanks for the pics, you're quite a craftsman

My buddy Robert (who deserves the most credits) took the drawings back home so I'll ask if he can scan them. But we took them from Markus Pilot. Two little corrections: the outer width is 3x145mm for the OC instruments (I believe 2cm less wide than Markus' size) and the inner size of the fire panel is 250x65 mm, fitting the OC dimensions.

We used 6mm MDF. The radio's reach over the edges on the left and right and lean on the T-piece in the middle. We put L-strips on the sides so there's metal to mount the radio's in, not the head side of the MDF. These strips are mounted with screws that go through the big metal strip on the outside. This is a 5cm aluminium strip. Officially it should be 6cm but also this was not available. We have a KLM instructor/test pilot testing our sim every now and then and if he sees the difference, we'll mount a proper strip
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

Very nice work!!

Regards

Per Alm

Ok, i will copy the drawings of this pedestal, only i will change the thikness of the mdf panels to 8 mm. This because the instruments of opencockpits are mountable on 10 mm strips, and the aluminum strips we used are 10 by 10 mil. thikness of the strips we used is 2 millimeter and therefor easy mountabel ond the side of the pedestal. i hope the drawing makes my explenation easier to understand.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MqnQbw2a2S...h/pedestal.bmp

Quote Originally Posted by kinsky View Post
    Ok, i will copy the drawings of this pedestal, only i will change the thikness of the mdf panels to 8 mm. This because the instruments of opencockpits are mountable on 10 mm strips, and the aluminum strips we used are 10 by 10 mil. thikness of the strips we used is 2 millimeter and therefor easy mountabel ond the side of the pedestal. i hope the drawing makes my explenation easier to understand.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MqnQbw2a2S...h/pedestal.bmp
    Maybe it's easier to understand if you added that Kinsky is the before mentioned Robert who helps me with the build haha! All credits for the pedestal to you buddy!
    Arjen
    -----

12. Thanks capetonian, Polmer thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast