Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Which yoke to buy...?

At the moment, I am using a Saitek X52 Pro stick and throttle but want to get myself a decent yoke.
    I am considering the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke, Throttle and Rudder Pedals and the CH Eclipse Yoke (built in throttle quad) and CH Rudder Pedals.

I have no cockpit as yet, but am looking at a GA of some description, perhaps a Piper Arrow or Seneca.

Can anyone offer some advice or relate their own experiences to help me decide which would be the best yoke and pedals to buy? Indeed, are there any other affordable control systems (NOT the Elite products then) of which I am unaware?

A slightly late Merry Christmas to everyone...

Re: Which yoke to buy...?

CH or Saitek seem to be the best for the least amt of money. I use a CH yoke that is at least 4 years old. I also use a PFC jetliner flight yoke, $1300 for yoke and pedals. Pricey but very nice.
    Regards,
    Brian
    FS9 & FSX ERJ-145, E-170, E-190, PIC737, Archer, Arrow, GF-MCPPRO, EFIS, 4GF-P8, 4GFT8, 3GF-166, 3GF-RP48, GF-LGT, GF-ATC, GF-TQ6, 3 Projectors, 5 monitors 1 computer

10+ Posting Member

I'm currently flying a desk, meaning I don't have a simpit. I happen to prefer the Saitek Pro Flight Yoke over the CH that I had. Saitek just feels better and the timer is nice if you fly approaches. BTW I don't use the Saitek throttle b/c I have a go flight that I like.

10+ Posting Member

Thanks to Brian and JamesVic for replies. I've been a bit busy but have been keeping abreast of the posts.
    It would seem the answer is Just Buy One! With recommendations for both CH and Saitek products I guess it's down to personal preference rather than one being better than the other.

I'm going to go for the Saitek for a few reasons:

1. It hasn't got throttles sticking out of the top, which I can only see as being annoying after a while
    2. I have good experience with Saitek X52 Pro
    3. The flat top will make it easier to incorporate into a pit and use a monitor as gauges
    4. It's slightly cheaper than the CH
    5. The separate throttles will make it easier to convert to twin engine

I'll update with my own experiences if that would help anyone in the same boat (?) as me.

Thanks again for the advice, and a Happy New Year to everyone on the forum. All the best!

I like the saitek yoke even though I have a CH. Currently building my own yoke that is far beyond anything you can buy in terms of ruggedness.

One word of caution though about saitek. Have you ever taken apart a saitek joystick and looked at the wiring?? It is a horror show waiting to fail. Hopefully they do a better job on their higher end stuff but their cheapies are to be avoided at all costs.

I have both. I started with the CH a few years ago, it looks and feels "plastic" but the operation is oke. I even think the CH is more precise specialy around the center.
    The Saitek has got more functions, is easier to build in, looks better, feels better.
    About the wiring..... Yep a pure desaster !!! If are planning on a moving platform you must rewire all the Saitek stuf for with vibration it is about to fail within hours.
    So if you are not afraid of a soldering iron, Saitek is the better choise.

Just my two cents worth opinion,
    kind regards, Nico
    Intel DX58SO, i7_920, 6GB DDR3,
    WD Velociraptor, 9800GTX+, Win7_64

10+ Posting Member

The Saitek seems to be winning this contest, so I'm happier with my choice now. I was going to order it today, but started wondering (again!) if the CH would be a better choice. That's it decided though - Saitek it is.
    I was also going to invest in 2 Saitek throttle quadrants too, so I can change from single to twin engine, and a set of Saitek rudder pedals. which begs the question - are the CH pedals better?
    My thinking was that the Saitek look to be more adjustable for foot size, which may make them more comfortable. I noticed, however, that they have (mounting?) holes in them - to screw them down I imagine. Does this mean they'll move all over the carpet when I use them without screwing them down?
    The CH pedals are quite heavy (4Kg, I believe) and don't seem to have screw holes in them. Decisions, decisions!
    I've no plans to build a motion platform. Well, not yet. It's another one of those "Oooh I've GOT to get one of THOSE!" things when you first see it (a bit like the first time you see a 737 simpit!). I just don't have the money for that sort of thing. Would be nice though
    I'm certainly not scared of a soldering iron. Electronics has been an on-off (1 0) hobby for about 30 years. Good tip, though, about the wiring Nico & WJH308.

For future reference, what materials are you constructing your yoke from WJH308? Is there a plan or drawings for it that I've missed? It's something I've seen mentioned a few times on the forum but haven't dwelt on it. I may come back to it when I want to increase the realism a bit down the road. I am just starting out after all I'll cut my teeth on the GA before moving up to the heavies.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by pilotwannabe View Post
    The Saitek seems to be winning this contest, so I'm happier with my choice now. I was going to order it today, but started wondering (again!) if the CH would be a better choice. That's it decided though - Saitek it is.
    I was also going to invest in 2 Saitek throttle quadrants too, so I can change from single to twin engine, and a set of Saitek rudder pedals. which begs the question - are the CH pedals better?
    My thinking was that the Saitek look to be more adjustable for foot size, which may make them more comfortable. I noticed, however, that they have (mounting?) holes in them - to screw them down I imagine. Does this mean they'll move all over the carpet when I use them without screwing them down?
    The CH pedals are quite heavy (4Kg, I believe) and don't seem to have screw holes in them. Decisions, decisions!
    I've no plans to build a motion platform. Well, not yet. It's another one of those "Oooh I've GOT to get one of THOSE!" things when you first see it (a bit like the first time you see a 737 simpit!). I just don't have the money for that sort of thing. Would be nice though
    I'm certainly not scared of a soldering iron. Electronics has been an on-off (1 0) hobby for about 30 years. Good tip, though, about the wiring Nico & WJH308.

For future reference, what materials are you constructing your yoke from WJH308? Is there a plan or drawings for it that I've missed? It's something I've seen mentioned a few times on the forum but haven't dwelt on it. I may come back to it when I want to increase the realism a bit down the road. I am just starting out after all I'll cut my teeth on the GA before moving up to the heavies.

Thanks guys!
    I am making it out of Aluminum and steel. I made a post in cockpit updates. I machined the parts on a lathe and mill.

25+ Posting Member

I am not experienced yet...... I'm still building my new "flight" desk to hold the new monitors for a three monitor setup. But I've got both the Saitek and CH yokes. There isn't a whole lot of difference in them in terms of feel. I like the Saitek better because it looks better, will allow some options for their flight controls if I want, and has a nice profile. But they are both kind of cheasy with what seems to be a lot of slop in the center. My Saitek does have more controls within easy reach. And I give it better marks for that. I haven't used the timer yet, but I do like the clock function. It keeps me from staying up too late flying!

For Christmas, my hubby gave me the new Logitech force feedback flightstick, pedals, and throttle combo pack. I thought of trading them in since the throttle is left handed and I don't intend to use a flight stick. But then I thought.... what the heck. I'll give it all a go and see how they work. I think that I'll see how the throttle and pedals work with the Saitek yoke. The only disadvantage is that the Logitech pedals and throttle plug into the flightstick with non USB connectors and then you plug in the flight stick to the computer via USB. I'll just hide the flightstick out of the way somewhere.

I'm not in to creating a specialized cockpit. I just want to learn about flying and have some fun.

Once I get it all set up and running, I'll have to take some pics and write up my impressions.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by litebkt View Post
    I am not experienced yet...... I'm still building my new "flight" desk to hold the new monitors for a three monitor setup. But I've got both the Saitek and CH yokes. There isn't a whole lot of difference in them in terms of feel. I like the Saitek better because it looks better, will allow some options for their flight controls if I want, and has a nice profile. But they are both kind of cheasy with what seems to be a lot of slop in the center. My Saitek does have more controls within easy reach. And I give it better marks for that. I haven't used the timer yet, but I do like the clock function. It keeps me from staying up too late flying!

For Christmas, my hubby gave me the new Logitech force feedback flightstick, pedals, and throttle combo pack. I thought of trading them in since the throttle is left handed and I don't intend to use a flight stick. But then I thought.... what the heck. I'll give it all a go and see how they work. I think that I'll see how the throttle and pedals work with the Saitek yoke. The only disadvantage is that the Logitech pedals and throttle plug into the flightstick with non USB connectors and then you plug in the flight stick to the computer via USB. I'll just hide the flightstick out of the way somewhere.

I'm not in to creating a specialized cockpit. I just want to learn about flying and have some fun.

Once I get it all set up and running, I'll have to take some pics and write up my impressions.

Michelle
    The real thing, as far as GA goes, usually has slop in the middle as well. In fact, most Cessna's and pipers I have flown have a boat load of axial play in the yokes as well. My ch yoke has none. One of those things where perception is everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast