Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Projection Vs. LCD

Quote Originally Posted by jer166 View Post
    I have as much room as I need in my basement but only have 8' ceilings. If I build a curved screen from floor to ceiling will I be able to get the projectors mounted high enough (with a full size cockpit) to fill up the entire screen?
    The current room I'm using isn't even 8 foot tall in the basement. What simpit type are you planning?

10+ Posting Member

Here is a question. Take a 737 shell from FDS, In a perfect flight sim what would be the best immersion factor?
    1. Mounting LCD Screens in the windows?
    2. 180 or 200 degree FOV on an outside curved screen?

I also have concerns about getting triple head2go. It seems like you need five projectors to get your 180 degree FOV one for each view in FSX, forward, forward left, left, forward right, right. How does this work? The visuals are no doubt the toughest part of the build for me. I think I will be purchasing three optoma EX525ST projectors based on what everyone has posted here. Might wait for more feedback. Thanks for the help.

10+ Posting Member

I have built a GA pit for now. I will build a lear 45 or 737 in the future if I can ever figure out the outside visuals.

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Search the forum with the word projector or even better sol7. In the answers you will find photographs of at least 2 setups here where 3 projectors are projecting an almost 180 degree view in rooms about 8ft high. In one setup, they are on top of the shell (737), in another they are on the floor. You'll also see youtube videos of the sims in action so you can make your own mind up if you'd be happy with the results.

In my opinion, and this is based solely on what I've read/seen on mycockpit, if you have the width in your sim room (at least 4m), then for the money, 3 projectors and some sort of screen, be it curved or angled, gives visuals far surpassing anything you could achieve with multiple monitors.

I'm not saying that good results are not possible with monitors/tv's or the like, but I've yet to see a monitor setup I'd be happy with (that compares to the projector route).

If you don't have the width for the 3 projector route, then compromises are going to have to be made and that's when I see the projector versus monitor debate opening up. But in a 15ft wide room, there's no contest.

I get the impression the visuals are important to you (as they are to me). Perhaps you should buy the projectors/TH2G and start to experiment. I know it's a lot of cash, but it's something your going to have to get at some point, be it projectors or monitors.

Sean

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123