75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

How to get the widest FOV

I am planning a projector setup starting with a single projector. I will be able to project a 9 foot wide image, but I realize projection width is very diffferent from the width of the exterior view in FSX.

So, I am wondering, how to get the widest view possible using a single projector. Is it possible to zoom out further than the +/- keys allow? Is here some other trick that allow you to squeeze a wide view out of a single projector.

BTW, space limits me from using a multiple projector setup. The room width for my simaultor is in is 9.5 feet.

Thank you for the help.

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Re: How to get the widest FOV

Quote Originally Posted by orwell84 View Post
    I am planning a projector setup starting with a single projector. I will be able to project a 9 foot wide image, but I realize projection width is very diffferent from the width of the exterior view in FSX.

So, I am wondering, how to get the widest view possible using a single projector. Is it possible to zoom out further than the +/- keys allow? Is here some other trick that allow you to squeeze a wide view out of a single projector.

BTW, space limits me from using a multiple projector setup. The room width for my simaultor is in is 9.5 feet.

Thank you for the help.
    Note, unless you use short-throw projector or first surface mirror you're not going to be able to throw a large enough projection within 9.5 feet. IMHO, you don't have enough room for single projection either unless you go short throw. The throw distance single or multiple projector is all going to be about the same to pull off. You need to account for your projector throw distance. An average projector lens requires around 15-25 feet throw distance to be used right in a simulator environment. That is why most people use some sort of mirror setup.

I tried the curved mirror setup but didn't like the image distortion and had trouble with where to put the projector..But slightly curving the mirror does get a wide FOV..Good luck.

75+ Posting Member

Thanks for your replies. It's not the width of the projected image I am worried about but obtaining the widest, most "zoomed out" view possible if this makes any sense.

I am definately going with a short throw projector and I will be able to project an image at least 8 feet in width. This is plenty for me. The sim room itself is only 9 1/2 feet wide.

So basically I'm asking if it possible to include more of the outisde cockpit view into the projected image beyond what pressing the "-" key allows.

Eventually, I would like to add to a monitor to each side window using 3H2Go, but for now I will just be starting with one projector.

Thanks for the help.

150+ Forum Groupie

You can zoom out slightly further than the +/- keys allow.

Using the keys the best zoom out you can get is 0.31, but by entering a zoom figure directly into the views settings page in FS you can get down to 0.28.

--
    Bryn

Quote Originally Posted by brynjames View Post
    You can zoom out slightly further than the +/- keys allow.

Using the keys the best zoom out you can get is 0.31, but by entering a zoom figure directly into the views settings page in FS you can get down to 0.28.

--
    Bryn
    Thanx Bryn, i'm assuming you change that in the config file? I was thinking how about creating 2 additional windows with left and right side views. My thought was to be able to look out my left window and see the left side and keep the foward view focused out the front projector. Has anyone played with this.

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlscotti View Post
    Thanx Bryn, i'm assuming you change that in the config file? I was thinking how about creating 2 additional windows with left and right side views. My thought was to be able to look out my left window and see the left side and keep the foward view focused out the front projector. Has anyone played with this.
    On the top menu bar select Views/View Options and the zoom value is under the 3D preview setting box. Mine goes as low as 0.25 (FS9).

25+ Posting Member

the problem with zoom as low as .25 is, that it is not the actual distance anymore
    test it yourself = put your aircraft in front of a gate check the distance from nose to gate and get in the cockpit and see the differents mine needs to be .45 to get the real distance
    i think thats not a option