Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning to Build !!! Captain_Eirik's Avatar
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Aircraft model selection

This isn't the typical question that you'll see after that heading...

OK, as I am narrowing down what choices that I am going to make as far as which aircraft, I am curious about the aircraft model itself.

For example, if I were looking at building a Fokker 100, I have both the Project Fokker freeware version as well as the Digital Aviation payware version. Which model would I be better off using?

When setting up the cockpit, do I want something basic with no frills such as the freeware model because any of the operational systems will be handled by the hardware and software systems in place with the Sim setup itself ?

Or do I want the Payware modeled with the systems, switches etc. modeled so that I somehow plug in to those with the sim?

Also, is there anything in particular that I am looking for in a model that makes it a better choice for use in a cockpit system?

500+ This must be a daytime job BHawthorne's Avatar

Re: Aircraft model selection

These are not really questions people can answer for you. It's all personal preference. Sure you can get opinions on these things, but what are you really shooting for, not just what others want? I think you setting your goals for the build are more important than random opinion of others about a few add-ons. The way I went about my particular simpit choice was I set my priorities. Do I want something real or do I want something with readily available simpit parts? Are there any decent aircraft for what I want to build? If there are, buy them all and settle for the one that best suits your needs. The aircraft add-ons are the cheapest part of the whole build. It doesn't hurt to buy them all and test them out. Ultimately, your enjoyment of the build process and flying it should take priority, not what others might think of that particular aircraft.

Beginning to Build !!! Captain_Eirik's Avatar

I'm more interested if it makes a operational difference which one I use. I can choose a model on performance and enjoyment with no problem.

I've noticed several people using freeware aircraft models or turning off certain aspects of their payware. Is there a reason beyond personal preference?

Executive Assistant Geremy Britton's Avatar

Ah, i just noticed this post. I guess than answers my previous question on your introductory post about what aircraft. Deciding is the hard part LOL ... trying to find a great aircraft to fly, that's comfy, you enjoy being in yourself and of course is supported by FS.

I'll look forward to hearing about your decision.
    Geremy Britton
    Executive Assistant, MyCockpit Inc
    Head of GLB Flight Products
    www.geremy.co.uk

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Trying to determine which aircraft to build is a daunting task for me. My heart is telling me (and I am listening) to build the C130. The fun side tells me to build a
    Corporate jet.

As I have been thinking about this, an idea popped into my head, but do not know if it is feasible. Can you have the best of both worlds? A truly realistic C130, but by swapping out the instrument panel face plate, a corporate based model? True the Lear would not be as realistic, but would be exciting! I assume this could be done.....what do you think?

75+ Posting Member

Why not build a more generic cockpit that allows you to choose more than one aircraft to fly? That way, you wouldn't be a slave to finding and copying measurements, panels, etc, for a specific aircraft. You could build in the systems and features that are important to you.

I am building a 737 shell. I am trying to make the shell as accurate as possible but the systems themselves will be quite basic. I am considering having a removable MIP face that will allow me to use the same monitors to display round analogue guages for use with something like the B-25 in Il2 Sturmovik. I know this seems really odd as a 737 looks nothing like a B-25. But looking out airplane windows at a projected image, using a yoke and throttle, this is immersive enough for me. This will limit the detail of the systems I can have in the 737, but that's fine with me.

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

That sounds like an awesome Idea. I could change the face and have a new layout. !

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

I would use the one that is the best and least taxing on your computer. As you are building a sim cockpit the operational side is going to be quite covered by you. The more complete version is for those that wouldn't be using a full out cockpit but still want all the functionality of one. So in your simulation as you are building all that functionality in yourself you need not use all the panels and so on that come with the more modeled version.

Aircraft Model to Hardware it's a sliding scale. The more you have of one the least you need of the other. Sort a speak. More over the more you have in the way of physical controls the least you will need the virtual controls. Eventually turning the virtual controls off in favor of the physical ones.

That said I would if you are looking for variety in your flights pick a model that has different model variations? For the Fokker perhaps the cockpit might be the same for the many variants of their commuter aircraft. You could conceivably fly with different loads and dimensions making the sim more versatile.

Once you have decided what type of flying you want to simulate. I would pick the geography (routes). Then from there the airlines and equipment that fly them then the best model (not necessarily a payware one) but the one that is the most accurate from an airframe standpoint to the actual aircraft. Then build on that.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

25+ Posting Member

can someone tell wich softaware better to use FSX OF FS2004? and why?

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Mostly it depends on what software you want to run inside your FS... Some addons only work for one or the other so depending on what addons you are running that would be the one I would use and that starts with the aircraft and works it's way down.
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast