10+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Where to start, what plane and how.

Hey,

I really love all your cockpits and this whole forum, it has loads of information and my idea was to try to make something myself.

So I want to build a nice sim but not for too much money. First I obviously have to know what it is I'm building. I was thinking about a 737NG just because that is so popular and there is so much information to find about this. But I was thinking, for how long will this still be so popular, won't it get very old very fast because the airplane is already around for quite some time?

After that I think it's logical to start building a MIP, I like to make things myself, but know nearly nothing about electronics so how will this work?

I probably need software like FSUIPC and after that something for the PFD and the ND, what is a good one for that without spending money? And of course I need a PMDG addon for FS9 for the 737NG.

I do have two computers (one XP one Vista) and 3 monitors but I don't know how to connect them together for the software.

By the way I'm not trying to get the best realism level, but I want something that just looks good and like a 737 cocpit, it doesn't all have to be the same as the real thing.

Can someone please help me out? Some recommendations how to make stuff and what do I need to make it? Or things you can't make yourself what should I buy?

I would be very happy if I knew all this.
    Mr. B
    Hi...

10+ Posting Member

Re: Where to start, what plane and how.

Just from what I've seen so far, it should come as no surprise that size and complexity are directly related to cost. Also, it appears that using analog (or "steam" gauges) are more expensive and complex to hook up than just a couple of MFD (which can be fabricated from flat screen computer monitors). In simpler terms, a modern fighter jet pit should be less expensive and easier to build than an early 747 with analog gauges and a functional flight engineer station.

As to which aircraft to build, as my name suggests, I like American fighter jets from the 50s. However, I also like big multi engine cargo jets such as the Il-76, C-141, C-5 and the L-1011 - to name a few. How does a person choose which one to base his/her pit on?

At this time, it is easier for me to say what kind of pit I don't want to build. I don't want to build a pit that I will find in everybody's garage, attic, or basement. I don't want my pit to be yet another 737, 747, or F-16.

-George

BUILD YOUR OWN AIRCRAFT!!! If you cant decide on a particular aircraft, build one that can support them all. Me personally, I dont like being confined to a particular type of aircraft ( one day i might want to fly a 737, the next I might want to fly a f-16).If you cant decide go generic, and solve the problem. The limits are only that of your imagination.

Just my .02
    Last edited by gokhotit; 12-07-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: can't spell
    I'm not replicating anything, because I like to fly everything.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1LP3xxn0Q

10+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by gokhotit View Post
    BUILD YOUR OWN AIRCRAFT!!! If you cant decide on a particular aircraft, build one that can support them all. Me personally, I dont like being confined to a particular type of aircraft ( one day i might want to fly a 737, the next I might want to fly a f-16).If you cant decide go generic, and solve the problem. The limits are only that of your imagination.

Just my .02
    Yes, that is a good idea just to start with. Thanx for this advice gokhotit and 50fighterman, I will think about what I'm going to do.

Mr. B
    Hi...