Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: Please help me prove partner wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by irnwho99 View Post
    Well I want to make a formal apology. Having taken everything I feel really disheartened and upset. I understand the error of my ways big time and I am sorry to all the people I have upset. I never meant to upset people I think the excitment of it all got ahold of me. When I get an idea in my head I always hit the gnd running without actually thinking of the pros and cons.

So again I now see this app was big time wrong and I am sorry to the whole community for my actions.
    I think I can safely say, on behalf on myself and most if not all of the people here, apology accepted... BUT, .. there is a list of do's and don'ts ..... You don't have to stick to them but at least read them and give them some thought.

DON'T:
    *Put your missus before your sim!
    *Exclude your missus from your project.
    *Try and score free touchscreens, imagine if someone was ripping your company off.....
    *Give up on your project now......

DO:
    *Make a plan of attack.
    *Split your project up into phases, MIP, FMC, Overhead, whatever, .. split it into do-able hurdles, .. it's easir to jump 10 hurdles one after another then it is to try and clear a mountain on your first jump and the more you jumpo the more you learn, .. the next one just becomes easier!
    *Pop back in here from time to time and ask, ask, ask, and ask. Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers, .. this is a massive pool of knowledge and knowledge is only worth anything if it is shared, .. that's what we do here!!!

Don;t be disheartened or upset, you did something wrong, a bunch of us (none of us as innocent as an angel) all wagged fingers at you, ... you saw your mistake and accepted it. Now move on and get that darn plan of attack drawn up!

2. Thanks irnwho99 thanked for this post
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Thanks mate. Once fully moved into my house I will start on it. Plus like you said I will include her otherwise it will be more hassle than anything lol

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by irnwho99 View Post
    Well I want to make a formal apology. Having taken everything I feel really disheartened and upset. I understand the error of my ways big time and I am sorry to all the people I have upset. I never meant to upset people I think the excitment of it all got ahold of me. When I get an idea in my head I always hit the gnd running without actually thinking of the pros and cons.

So again I now see this app was big time wrong and I am sorry to the whole community for my actions.

I'm not upset in the least. I AM concerned though. If you truly want a spouse at some time, then your significant other needs to be involved and at the very least accepting.

My personal concern was that by embarking on this project that you would get halfway there and realize that you can't get the other halfway, and then you're stuck with a bunch of stuff that you can't use, a disappointment, and a significant other that can now say "I told you so". You don't have to give up on the project entirely, but simply start small so that you have something to work with....and then you can build resources so that when you have the financial ability to go to a larger project, then you can proceed, and maybe by then she'll be more accepting after seeing it's just not a phase.

I hope you figure something out, and don't give up...just try to think within the capabilities at present, and then you can always upgrade later.
    Jon

500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

Involving her will make it so much easier on you in the short and long term. Involvement is a two way street though you have to get involved in what she is doing to. Supporting each other is why your together in the first place. Hate to go all marriage councliller on you but you help her and she'll help you.

Now.. Starting out you have to check what you have against what you need. The shortest line between those two involves the most money. You will be trading your time for money. What you want fast = expensive what you can wait/work for = cheaper. What Bob Villa would call Sweat Equity. Luckily you are at a point in time when connecting stuff to a computer is a pretty easy process. Back in the old days you would need I/O cards and programing skills. Now it can be done with USB cards and what ever you need to activate the control you want. Depending on the type of aircraft you want to replicate in a full size mock up. The more complex the plane the more work you will be doing so you may as has been mentioned get your feet wet as it were on a smaller simpler aircraft. There are plenty of GA aircraft to choose from and you can grow that idea into a bigger one with a bit of pre planning. There isn't a pilot out there that hasn't gotten his training on a small aircraft. No one on day one of flight school goes for a check flight in a Boeing. They all got there training on a GA. So that is a great place for a first time Sim Builder to learn and practice all that you need to know to fly a bigger more complex aircraft.

That's what I'll be doing. It's a GA I'm starting out with. Then a commercial transport I'm hoping to end up with. If that aircraft is still flying at the time I hope to make my transition. Although the larger one is still widely used it's manufacturer has gone out of business of building them. They still service them though. Anyway I'm starting out in a pretty generic Cessna. One of the more powerful aircraft of its type. Then one day moving to the BAE146-300QT.

I'm starting with the primary flight controls. You need those more then anything else and when they are done then you can fly your sim at the very least. It's important to have that ability. Without the 'light at the end of the tunnel' it's a very dark trip. The hardware store will be your friend so it's a good idea to have someone you know well that works there. If he/she knows what you're doing they can help you get what you need faster.

Those flight controls are the backbone of your sim so getting them right is important. Fortunately you have dozens of articles on how to build them from common hardware store stuff (primarily). You are trying to simulate the actions of the aircraft you have chosen so duplicating those as best as possible will go a long way to achieving that.

What aircraft are you most interested in? We can maybe get the planning on the way..
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

10+ Posting Member

Kind of reminds me of that old joke...

"I got a simpit for my girlfriend - best trade I ever made!"

-George

300+ Forum Addict

Please feel free to PM me for help. I have all sorts of files, measurements, photos and links that will help you progress...

John

300+ Forum Addict

So, how is your sim build going? Hopefully, you're still with us and have made those minor suggested changes...it'd also be nice to see some photos of your progress...

John

The key to this kind of problem is this. Buy it, wrap it up nicely and say: "Honey, look what I've got for you. A flight simulator!" On top of that, you don't need to ask if you can buy a sportscar for yourself because "hey, I bought you the sim, right?"
    Arjen
    -----
    "There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." (Nigel Powers in Goldmember)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123