Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Please help me prove partner wrong!

hey guys i am not sure if this is the correct area but i was not sure where else write it. Also I dont mean to beg but let me explain.

I have wanted my own simpit for awhile. I have just bought a nice house and money is tight. I asked the girlfriend if i could build one and she said not a chance unless its free.

Now that got me thinking 1. To get 1 over her by not spending anythin so she can not moan 2. Well alot of you guys must have stuff lying around you do not need.

I just wanted to cry out to the community to see if they can help me at my time of need and donate to my project in anyway.

So far the community has given me 2 sets of yoke/pedals and a triple head2go. One guy gave me £50 to help out and a company is sending me over a 22" touchscreen for the overhead. I did swing the touchscreen a little though as a sample.

Anyway I am sorry 2 beg but this is what its come down to.

300+ Forum Addict

Re: Please help me prove partner wrong!

Where did you get this stuff , I`d like to have it too.
    In your second line I noticed were things got wrong,
    You ASK your girlfriend?????
    you silly silly boy, didn`t you learn anything,
    As soon as you are asking she aready made here mind up, NO NO NO.
    fortunatly you have a girlfriend and not a wife , so you could kick her out.
    Or you could find a decent job.
    But if you couldn`t spend the money why not look for something in your reach?
    greetz

3. Thanks dodiano, Joe Cygan thanked for this post
    300+ Forum Addict

Well, it's nice that some people have donated items to you, but I suppose it's time someone says "You have to choose your house and girlfriend or simulator and yourself!" Eventually, that is what it came down to for some people...really!

Flight Simulation at the level beyond a desktop setup will not be cheap or sadly to say free. Like any other hobby such as car restoration, auto racing, horseback riding, or hunting for example, all have a great deal of cost. Therefore, you must expect the same with flight simulation. In fact, since you cannot get a simulator as easy as some of life's other hobbies, it makes it that much more costly.

Therefore, let me suggest that you start saving money and spend your time waiting by learning to fly on the simulator on the desktop. So many peolpe join MyCockpit.org and jump in too quick. They see cockpits that people have spent many years building and working on. Thus, the new people only see the drool factor of these sims and want one without really knowing much about them...

Finally, please don't take me as putting you off or anyone else for that matter. I'm just stating that you'll have to sacrifice something somewhere in order to get a sim; unless, you're really rich.

I don't think any sim builders in here are "rich" It just looks like they are because of those sims, 10 years in the making, are making them look that way.

Good Luck!

500+ This must be a daytime job

Sounds like many emails I receive from Nigeria

FordGT40..... we are like brothers in arms, boy would I be rich if I had replied... and only 1% was true
    Intel DX58SO, i7_920, 6GB DDR3,
    WD Velociraptor, 9800GTX+, Win7_64

Super Moderator

Have you tried this?

Wow Joe... that is rude ! That's more like "no more fear of flying"
    Intel DX58SO, i7_920, 6GB DDR3,
    WD Velociraptor, 9800GTX+, Win7_64

Executive Vice President, MyCockpit

Nice Joe, I like that, I should of tried that a long time ago. LMAO

Free stuff, send it my way too..... If only I knew I could of build a sim for free.... WOW!!!!!! I guess I must of missed out on something or another.

10. Thanks Joe Cygan thanked for this post
    500+ This must be a daytime job Ronson2k9's Avatar

I'm thinking what you need to do is get your 'partner' to work with you and not against you. If you involve her in what you are doing and not cut her out "this is mine stay away" then you're co-operation level will increase. Or you can trade off. That is if there is something she can't live without but also costs money then both things can be shared as they are both stemming from the same source 'funds' You have yours and I have mine. Although the first one is best.

It's not a bad thing to ask for help or even advice. There are quite a few things you can do very cheaply and then as your skills and money grow replace with better equipment. Like anything there is an entry level that you can get in on the ground floor at. You may also find that if you are trying your hardest to keep it as inexpensive as possible then your 'partner' may also reward your ingenuity.

Show her how creative you are. Use recycled materials and scraps for building materials. They can be found at RE-Stores. These are outlets that sell materials from demolished buildings. You may also find stuff in surplus stores and the like. It takes more work and research plus creative thinking but you would be surprised what the freely unfettered mind can come up with when you want something desperately enough.

Best of luck
    Ron
    Up Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful - Amphibian

12. Thanks irnwho99 thanked for this post
    75+ Posting Member

At the risk of sounding rude, you really need to enlist the cooperation of your significant other, if she is TRULY that significant. "Getting one over" on any woman is a sure way to open up the other half of that bed.

Additionally, if you have such tight constraints, starting with something like a cessna or other small GA aircraft may be a bit better. Something like a 737 or the other simpits on here WILL cost you money at one point or another....and if your s/o is unhappy with the prospects of spending money, she may be even less excited with having a 10 foot square structure popping up in the home.

Additionally, starting a project with no financial means for continuation is made even riskier when the items are donated to you. This means that you cannot ETHICALLY sell something that was donated to you, as you are sinking the guy behind you. On the other hand, if you retain it and invest the finances you draw the wrath of the pair of X Chromosomes staying with you. Without the finances invested, it becomes junk.

Starting something massive with this is in my opinion a VERY bad idea with no good way out without any financial investment. I would suggest creating a plan B and C...maybe even D, or else you may not need to use a furnace with how hot that house is going to be. I'm not saying don't do it...but at least consider cheaper alternatives for the time being.

Just my 2cents. Please take it as constructive criticism, not "That dude didn't get his hug today".
    Jon

14. Thanks Geremy Britton, irnwho99 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast