Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F-111 or bust

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Re: F-111 or bust

nice one

I've only ever seen one F-111 sim built before this - a guy in Newcastle did it years ago and has resold it. His links are hidden away on www.achive.org...

If you can get a US military export permit I know a guy who has a couple of F-111 capsules for sale in the USA... They were quite cheap but it broke my heart when I found out I couldn't get one.. sob sob.

You might like to drop by viperpits.org as the guys there are doing great stuff on military style cockpit interfaces
    T

2. Thanks sira66 thanked for this post
    F-111 over Brisbane

Continued on with the Cockpit a little more and a bit more on the seat and arm rest area.
    I even got the cockpit monitors running with a PC installed under the dashboard area. I running a Pentium 4 motherboard with a Radeon HD2600 Pro video card. This computer has FSUIPC4.0 and WideFS installed ready for instruments to be run on it.
    NOW FOR THE QUESTION:

How the **** do I do that?

Im orginizing another computer for the Display and projectors and another as a Master computer. On going project.

Can someone please help me out as to how to start designing and laying out instruments for this cockpit..... please!!!!!!!!
    What do I need to start with ?

Attached is a photo of the current cockpit.

Regards

SIRA66
    Attached Images Attached Images

sira66,

Your F111 simpit looks awesome. As for the gauges there a a few programs you can try the first one is FSXpand (http://cockpitsolutions.com/) then there is Project Magenta (http://www.projectmagenta.com/) and a freeware made by Peix Software (http://www.peixsoft.com/) Im sure there are others but this will get you started PM (Project Magenta) and FSXPand both allow you to use the software in a demo mode.
    Mike G.

300+ Forum Addict

Quote Originally Posted by sira66 View Post

Can someone please help me out as to how to start designing and laying out instruments for this cockpit..... please!!!!!!!!
    There are some very good tutorials on how to create instruments here: http://www.fs2x.com/

You'll also want to know how the panel configuration files are constructed. The Microsoft Flight Simulator SDK is a good info source. For FS9: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857 For FSX (ESP): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526956.aspx

Welcome to the military fighter cockpit sub group. It is good to see another member. Maybe one day we will be big enough to be an actual group.

There is no perfect solution for the the military gauges. If you want to go the 'steam gauge" way. Flight Illusions has F-16 gauges that will work for the basic six. Good luck on the 5" ADI & HSI.

If you use monitors and a program to produce gauges, I have found FsXPand to be a good economical program. Gert has a good program and it is adaptable. It too has few "fighter" gauges. However, he has a SKD and a gauge edit program that will allow you to modify gauges or create your own.

Lastly, provided you use only one computer, you can make up 2D panels in FSX and drag them to your monitors. I don't think this will give you two monitors with the same gauges, however.

I hope this helps,
    John

System:
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    Intel Q9550 O/C to 3.4 GHz
    4 GB 1066 DDR2 RAM
    300 GB WD 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA Drive
    GeForce 8800 GT 512 KB RAM
    Matrox TH2Go with three 19" Sumsung 940 BX
    IR Track 4

F-111 over Brisbane

Smile Re: F-111 or bust

Thanks will try these options and see what I come up with.

Regards

SIRA66

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Welcome to the military fighter cockpit sub group. It is good to see another member. Maybe one day we will be big enough to be an actual group.

There is no perfect solution for the the military gauges. If you want to go the 'steam gauge" way. Flight Illusions has F-16 gauges that will work for the basic six. Good luck on the 5" ADI & HSI.

If you use monitors and a program to produce gauges, I have found FsXPand to be a good economical program. Gert has a good program and it is adaptable. It too has few "fighter" gauges. However, he has a SKD and a gauge edit program that will allow you to modify gauges or create your own.

Lastly, provided you use only one computer, you can make up 2D panels in FSX and drag them to your monitors. I don't think this will give you two monitors with the same gauges, however.

I hope this helps,

Our new friend needs to reach 10 posts to get to the next flight level

Good to hear that the F-111 is alive and well.

I worked on F-111E's for 7 years at RAF Upper Heyford in the UK, I used to be a Master Crew Chief on 68-030, 79 TFW Tigers

I have many stores to tell from the years gone by. I'm not sure but does anyone remember a panel on the top of the jet called 3410? It was at the very top or spine of the aircraft and if you swapped the panel for another it wouldn't fit correctly.

Thanks

Steven Higa

Oxford England

F-111 over Brisbane

Panel 3410 is the Main Egress Chute panel I believe and yes it is a pain in the proverbial butt.
    Australia has now come to the end of its long relationship with the ever loved F-111. Sad to see them go

Great to see, that on this forum Im hearing from both RAF and USAF guys about there ties to this ole girl.

Keep e'm coming

Regards

SIRA66

10+ Posting Member

I remember stress panels up top and never drop tools down the louvers.

Fritz

F-111 over Brisbane

And constantly breaking -10 torque screws on panels 1101,1102,1201 and 1202.

Ahh the joys of an F-111.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast