1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

GPS - How exactly does it work!

Ok, Many builders have built some fantastic looking GPS units, they all have one thing in common...they use Reality XP GNS 530 Software...

So how is it made....(this is my guess)

Firstly I am assuming that you will need the XP Reality GPS Software and obviously a small 5" additional screen.

You run the GPS software as an add-on in FSX/FS9 and you drag the GPS on to your small screen.

Now how do you assign buttons and encoders to the GPS? Is this done through a REALITY XP BUTTON ASSIGNMENTS BOX/PROGRAM or is this done through FS9/FSX itself.....

It appears that the GPS is a nice little project if you can get the right size screen and I gather that a PS1 Screen will do the job nicely...or are there alternatives?

Is it really that easy?...how is it done?

Also does the GPS act as a COMM Radio and as NAV that will work with a VOR?

Can someone please enlighten me?

Alex

10+ Posting Member

Re: GPS - How exactly does it work!

Hello Alex,

I was wondering the same thing at first and with some help (thanks jylhami) I learned it was really easy.
    This is how I understood (i'm sure any addtional info / details I forgot will be filled in):

You drag the gps window to the second (small) monitor, as you stated. The offsets are selected in a registered version of FSUIPC (depending on the hardware) and the offsets are all in there and you can select them by "key press". So, you select the function you want to assign in FSUIPC, and when you press the key you want to assign it is done. Really easy.

The reason for choosing the Reality XP GPS is because it simulates a lot more than the standard FS GPS ( nav1/comm1 for example in the GN530, advanced flightplanning) and the overal functionality is a lot better than the standard GPS. I bought it, and it's absolutely far better than the standard one and a lot more fun.

In my sim the nav1 radio in the GPS works with the VOR. When you want the VOR1 gauge to take over, for an approach for example, you press the CDI button on the GPS and the autopliot follows the VOR instead of the GPS (like the NAV/GPS switch).

Nav1 & comm1 can both be used in the reality XP 530 GPS.

Obviously you need the right hardware, and the easiest way is a USB controller that is reconised as a gaming device. That part I am not familier with, but the flight illusion I/O board for example is one that could do it. That board has i't's own software by the way, but the FSUIPC offsets can be used there as well. However I think there are cheaper alternatives as I have seen other users here making there own unit. I'm sure someone else will know this part far better then me.

William

3. Thanks No Longer Active thanked for this post
    1000+ Poster - Fantastic Contributor

Hi....

Thanks for the response....

I am definitely on the same lines with you here on this GPS unit, and you appear to summarise what I was thinking!

If I had the money I would love to purchase a Jylhami GPS unit, but I guess a homebuild will be sufficient until I have the cash to buy one of his.

I really like the fact that the GPS eliminates the need for a NAV/COMM radio especially when you only need 1 radio for such a small aircraft such as the 150, its ideal....

Anyway thanks for the reply and will speak to you soon.

All the best.

Alex

10+ Posting Member

yes I was planning to do it myself at first as well. It shouldn't be that hard (at least controlling the switches).
    At the time I was looking at the I/O boards from open cockpits, all switches could be controlled from this and it interfaces with FSUIPC, really simple. My search ended when I could not find a good display and knobs, but the PS1 screen is a good one I think and a solution of the knobs are enough discussed here

well anyway, good luck!

William.

Hi Guys,

The GPS i have made uses Leo Bodnar's USB Joystick card and is configured via FSUIPC (registered version).
    First you define a keypress for each action in Reality's .ini file and next you open the FSUIPC module, select buttons and switches, press a button and define the same keypress as in the .ini file. Then next button etc.

It takes about 5 minutes to get the keys and encoders to work. (the encoder are noticed as a joystick buttons !)

It will be little more time consuming to get the video right on the small monitor.