75+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

software gauge help

hi guys..

now that I got fsxpand to work (demo version) before I go and purchase this, would like to know a few things..

There are quiet a few software out there like PM, Ellie Avionics and fsxpand..

can someone tell me the difference in these softwares.. I downlaoded all 3 demos but only managed to get fsxpand to work as it was very simple and easy to configure..

I don't want to buy somehting and later on find out that I will need some other software..

in the near few months I plan to purchase some hardware from GoFlight.. So compatibility is kind of important..

I'm new to all this so just trying to make sure that I don't buy doubble.. You know these things are very costly..

Right now I have 2 client PC.. 1 for PFD/ND and the 2nd for EICAS ..

O... forgot to mention that I'm building a boeing 737 cockpit..

And also if I'm not reading wrong, FSxpand seems to be the cheapest compared to PM or Ellies Avionics...
    thanks for reading..

300+ Forum Addict

Body in Netherlands, Hart in the Fairest Cape!

Re: software gauge help

May I jump in here and answer this....

Sooftware suites like Project Magenta, FlightDeckSoftware and Sim Avionics (and I am sure a few others) are specifically written for a aircraft type. These software suites include all the logic to fly the aircraft.

The heart of any moderen aircraft (liner), from the small business jets and turbo props like the KIng Air or Beech 1900 to the 737 and A380 is made up of three things, the FMC, the MCP, and the EFIS. These are the elements that claculate everything that the pilot and aircraft need to know.... these elements are all included in the above mentioned software suites. They are not cheap and not easy to set up but they give you a total solution and the possibility of spreading your project out over multiple computers. If you use on of these suites and use all the elements you are effectivly only using the FS2004 virtual world and the shell of the aircraft that you choose to fly.

With a complete setup you make no use at all of the FS2004/FSX logic/autopilot etc. Of course you might be using X-plane but I can't offer any advice on that level.

FSxpand gives you stunning gauges but does not include the 'heart'of the aircraft. So if you are content on using FS's built in logic then FSxpand is definatly a good choice. If you want to go a step further then PM/Sim Avionica/FDS is probably the best way to go.

As far as I understand Ellie Avionics is an entire glass cockpit suite without the logic to go with it, effectivly the same as FSxpand.

Well, that's my 2c, obviously the views and opinions expressed here are my own. I am building a 737-700 and will be going with either PM or FDS.

Hope that helps.

75+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by capetonian View Post
    May I jump in here and answer this....

FSxpand gives you stunning gauges but does not include the 'heart'of the aircraft. So if you are content on using FS's built in logic then FSxpand is definatly a good choice. If you want to go a step further then PM/Sim Avionica/FDS is probably the best way to go.

As far as I understand Ellie Avionics is an entire glass cockpit suite without the logic to go with it, effectivly the same as FSxpand.

Well, that's my 2c, obviously the views and opinions expressed here are my own. I am building a 737-700 and will be going with either PM or FDS.

Hope that helps.
    hello there and thanks for the quick response...
    Interesting but still trying to absorbe all this great info...
    but one thing confuses me is, when you say "Heart Of The Aircraft" ..
    Does it mean things like Overhead Panels, Padestrals etc. Cause month by month I plan to purchase hardware and only use the computer for outside view.. So when I do get the OH panels, FMC, CDU etc, and if these things are not compatiable with FSxpand then it's better to save up and go with the above softwares.. In the next few weeks I will be getting the MCP Pro from goflight, so don't want to but another addon when it comes to softwares.

Right now, I am using the default boeing 737 but with Air Canada texture.. Even though I'm happy with the way the default aircraft is working, I will check out some payware stuff.

Once again thanks for your help and I'll look more into the software before making my purchase..

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

I am relatively new to this too and also building a 737NG.

Of course it all depends on how serious and realistic you want your sim to become, but as capetonian has already suggested, you are probably going to have to consider one of the main three 737 packages that include everything that allows you to ditch everything in FS but the views.

That 3 are Project Magenta, FlightDeckSoftware and Sim-Avionics.

PMDG is an option (for FS2004), but it has limits, albeit, people are chipping away at these and it's limits are getting fewer.

As I understand it, FSXpand will not let you do everything the others will.

Try the demo's. I agree it takes a little head scratching to get them to work, but they do when you realise what ur doing wrong!

If you need any help with that, just ask.

Sean

75+ Posting Member

hello there

sorry for the late reply cause hae been doing a lot of research on this and also learning alot ...

So, what I'll do right now is wait and buy 1 good software to work with... At the moment I was looking for only to get the gauges on another screen and found freeFD and registered FSUIPC4 and got everything working in FreeFD as my gauges for the boeing 737... So it save me from getting now fsxpand will put it towards the other SW ... The only thing that I couldn't get to work in FreeFD was that purple line that shows on the PFD gauge... I kow that FreeFD is not a complete software and is not finished,

but if anyone can tell me if that purple line shows up when you program the GPS for your destination on the PFD... Cause in FSX I see it there but not in FreeFD... All other things is FreeFD work excelent for me except that... Even though it's not a big deal cause I use the GPS screen to guide me to the runway but was just wonding if it could be displayed in freeFD as well...

Anyways, FreeFD is what I actually need but for some reason I couldn't get it to work and thats why i was going towards Fsxpand.. but since I registered FSUIPC4, everythig works great...