25+ Posting Member

Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

GF-MCP stalls and freezes

I am having a problem with a GF-MCP freezing with Windows 7
    It will start with the bridge as currently required and runs for about 5 mins then freezes. All buttons stay green in Auto Pilot mode and thats it for that flight. I have done a clean install to try and eliminate the problem and no add-ons are present, yet the same thing happens.
    It is running through a good quality power hub as it has done for many years. It worked OK in Vista 64 and runs on a 5.9 rated system recently purchased 2 months ago.
    Any help welcome !

Regards

David

75+ Posting Member

Re: GF-MCP stalls and freezes

Quote Originally Posted by SKYWARRIOR View Post
    I am having a problem with a GF-MCP freezing with Windows 7
    It will start with the bridge as currently required and runs for about 5 mins then freezes. All buttons stay green in Auto Pilot mode and thats it for that flight. I have done a clean install to try and eliminate the problem and no add-ons are present, yet the same thing happens.
    It is running through a good quality power hub as it has done for many years. It worked OK in Vista 64 and runs on a 5.9 rated system recently purchased 2 months ago.
    Any help welcome !

Regards

David
    hi..

not sure if this is gonna help for yuor situation or not but I had somewhat the same issuse and you can try the following and see if it helps..

First, what GF version of GF drivers are you using... and what version of Win 7...

I am using GF 1.90 drivers and Win 7 home edition..

I was having the same freez up issues..

try to install GF 1.72 or 1.76 drivers .. or
    make sure you have all the updates for Windows 7 ...
    Connect your GF MCP directly to the MB USB and not a hub. (Sometimes my MCP Pro would freeze even connect to the back usb port on the MB so I hook it up to the front of the case USB connectors ...

Also, when you start FSX does the GF config driver (Blue icon) display on the bottom right hand cornor where the clock is..

For me, after doing all the updates in Win 7 my freezes for the GF MCP pro stopped.. Sometimes installing an older GF driver solves the issues..

25+ Posting Member

Re: GF-MCP stalls and freezes

Hi,
    thanks for replying to my query. I have largely gotten rid of the problem now using the latest GF driver for WINDOWS 7 plus all current updates. Yes you are right about the USB connection it has to be direct into the Computer and not a hub. Occasionally it fails to load the Auto pilot section of the MCP but only about one in ten times so I am dealing with more important issues than this now.
    Thanks again

David

Post Re: GF-MCP stalls and freezes

Quote Originally Posted by SKYWARRIOR View Post
    Hi,
    thanks for replying to my query. I have largely gotten rid of the problem now using the latest GF driver for WINDOWS 7 plus all current updates. Yes you are right about the USB connection it has to be direct into the Computer and not a hub. Occasionally it fails to load the Auto pilot section of the MCP but only about one in ten times so I am dealing with more important issues than this now.
    Thanks again

David
    I was thinking of purchasing the GoFlight GF-MCP from a friend so I phoned GoFlight technical support and found out the reason that they discontinued the product FOUR YEARS ago. It was explained that this device is affected negatively by the faster computer processor speeds and as a result with Windows 7, 8, and 10, it will freeze after a while. It was suggested that I wait and save up the money to purchase the new MCP panel. The GoFlight technical suport said that the GF-MCP panel is quite old and has been out back in the windows XP and 2000 and Vista days and will operate quite fine on those OS platforms. But not on Windows 7 and newer OS's.

I am still quite interested if anyone has found a method to reliably find a way to keep the GF-MCP working on Windows 7 without freezing?

Also GoFlight said that another private autopilot panel is in the work implying to me that in the future there will be a GF-MCP replacement to form fit the center console rack.

Thanks