Thread: New to FS

25+ Posting Member
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support MyCockpit site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

New to FS

I've never run FS. But my doc recommended that I start playing computer games that requires the use of my hands and feet to combat a neurological problem I have. Sounds cool to me! It's a great way to justify new toys to my hubby. And FS is more attractive to me than shoot em up games. Additionally, I'm not sure that any of those can use foot pedals.

So.... anyhoo, I'm looking at setting something up. I'm pretty sure that I want to use three monitors so that I can get side views. I own a shop that can produce just about anything. I can't operate the tools anymore but perhaps, I can teach my husband to make a "few cuts".

I don't have the space for a fully enclosed cockpit so I want to create a simple "desk" to properly hold the equipment. I believe that I'd like to keep instrumentation simple perhaps by using a separate LCD display. But, I'm also completely clueless as to instrument consoles. I used to hang glide so I know something of flying by the seat of your pants

I'd really appreciate pointers to someone/anyone who has done something along these lines. Right now, I'm interested in small plane sim but might become interested in dogfight sims.

I'm also thinking that I should start with FS, a single large monitor, and a few simple controls so that I can see where I want to go next. Any help here would also be appreciated.

Michelle

500+ This must be a daytime job Sean Nixon's Avatar

Re: New to FS

Quote Originally Posted by litebkt View Post
    I'm also thinking that I should start with FS, a single large monitor, and a few simple controls so that I can see where I want to go next. Any help here would also be appreciated.
    Well that would be a good start and not too much money to spend straight away.

I would use FS2004 (sometimes called FS9) as it doesn't require a super-computer to run it. It's an old game, but can still be purchased.

Controls are either a joystick or a yoke, check out the range at CH Products:

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/index.html

They do rudder pedals too, you mention using your feet, so these might prove useful to you. The CH Product yoke has a few extra buttons and throttle type controls you can configure for the most common tasks. Use the keyboard for the rest.

Fly the small aircraft first. They are more 'twitchy' and probably involve the most hand/foot movements. Or you could be really brave and try flying a helicopter!

But this is a good affordable place to start.

Sean

PS - FS2004, being 5 year old, will run ok on any PC younger than that, perhaps something you already have.

300+ Forum Addict

Smile Re: New to FS

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the adventures! Okay, so you're going for the desktop approach and starting with a simple aircraft, and then later some type of fighter. Here is a list of items you need to check off or answer.

1. Which Flight Simulator Version; MSFS 9 or FSX?
    2. What do you have now for controls? Do you have any devices like yokes, pedals or joysticks. As Sean just pointed out, check out CH Products, they're one of better starting-out units, and you can get Yoke, Pedals and Throttles all together from CH
    3. What do you have for a computer?
    4. How much time do you have to devote to this hobby? I ask because there is a slight learning curve at first, but you'll get through it, if you're willing to keep at it.
    5. Are you willing to travel? In my opinion, this my most important suggestion: Ask on here for anyone that is close to you to chime in, and then ask them if you can come to see their simulator...

If you can go visit someone, you'll get a few things right up front. You'll get an instant friend, a good idea what to expect for a simulator, and likely, you'll get a chance to take that person(s)' simulator for a flight. Of course, that will give you the building bug...like we all have in here at MYC. You might not be able to build or use tools yourself, but once bitten by the bug, you'll find ways to get something accomplished. Your husband will be working overtime for you, for sure!

Good luck and always ask questions here at MYC; these folks are an awesome group of pilots...

25+ Posting Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkcombs View Post
    Hi Michelle,

1. Which Flight Simulator Version; MSFS 9 or FSX?
    I'd like to use the latest. That's FSX

2. What do you have now for controls? Do you have any devices like yokes, pedals or joysticks. As Sean just pointed out, check out CH Products, they're one of better starting-out units, and you can get Yoke, Pedals and Throttles all together from CH
    I have a very old yoke and stick. I think that they date from the year 2000 so they will be replaced at the outset.

3. What do you have for a computer?
    I have a Pentium dual core that I put together this year for Photoshop stuff. It's loaded with memory and disk space. I'd also like to be able to continue to use it for these tasks.

4. How much time do you have to devote to this hobby? I ask because there is a slight learning curve at first, but you'll get through it, if you're willing to keep at it.
    I'm retired. So.... I'm always looking for things to play with. Right now, I spend a lot of time doing astronomy and playing music. But that doesn't quite fill up a full day.

5. Are you willing to travel? In my opinion, this my most important suggestion: Ask on here for anyone that is close to you to chime in, and then ask them if you can come to see their simulator...
    This is a problem since I hesitate to drive much. I'm located near Yosemite so Modesto and Fresno are not out of the question. I suppose I could make a trip to the bay area as well.

Good luck and always ask questions here at MYC; these folks are an awesome group of pilots...
    Oh, oh yes. I intend to. Thanks for the pointers and questions to both initial responses.

300+ Forum Addict

Michelle,

Based on your responses, you're heading in the right direction. Let me suggest that you make a seperate forum post/thread asking for people near the locations your willing to visit...

Also, checkout these link:

http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims.html

This fellow (rodgerdodger) puts things into real good beginner terms and has videos to watch as well.

Here is a link to watch videos of flying within FS:

http://www.simtube.com/

Any other questions, just put them out here on MYC.